Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 10:43 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn

They offer massive performance so if yours in similar then it will be awesome.

Good stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

That's the idea

I didn't set out to match that box on purpose, but as time went on and I started seeing measurements of the DTS-10 and its drivers, I realized I was closer than I thought. Even the TB W8Q-1071F horn I built is not that far off in terms of driver displacement. Too bad that one turned out to be so unrealistically gigantic.

Realistically though, I expect this project is still a fair bit bigger than the Danley and I don't have the advantage of knowing everything Tom Danley knows. I'll be ecstatic if this thing ends up being even close to Tom's work. All I wanted was an improvement on the TB horn, really, and I think I've easily done that.

And it never hurts to learn new stuff. Learned a lot from the last horn, learning more from this one. Next time, I'll try multiple flare rates. I could have had a better horn than this with these drivers... need to get the folding of the multiples nailed down. My horn modeling abilities are way ahead of my construction abilities.

Anyway, back to the project with me now. Drilling the final holes this morning... PL goes down this afternoon.
post #73 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

PL phase 1 is complete - all panels are permanently married to the bottom panel now.

This went a whole lot smoother than the last time. Mostly because I knew this time I had enough time to lay down a nice, slow bead... no need to rush things. The partial tube of PL from the storage room did indeed yield useful adhesive, but I had to squeeze the gun grip like Hercules to get it out of there. However, as a result, it looks like I will get this whole project done without even touching my second new tube of the stuff.

Did I get some on my hands? Yes. But the second I did, I went over and washed my hands with the mineral spirits. As a result, I don't seem to have stained hands this time. Of course, I didn't kick the bucket of mineral spirits over this time either. This was helpful in cleaning my slipjoint pliers too, which were in charge of removing and replacing the nail in the PL.

I also used several pieces of scrap wood this time for resting the PL tube on, so I have a lot less of the stuff smeared all over the horn panels inside.

And now, pictures. I decided not to use polyfill at all in this one, though it will get stuffed inside the dead space in front of the horn throat just in case.

Getting ready to PL the first panel... the throat block.

The old tube, ready to go.

Throat segment in place, including the driver baffle. The driver baffle was tough, because it was still warped to kingdom come.

How I pushed out the warp so I could screw the panel down. The dowel has now been removed. That panel ain't going anywhere now.

PL goes down for the last panel. I did inner panels first so that the two side panels would hold the big bottom panel true while I worked on the inner fold panels, and then did the outer panels last with the inner panels holding things true. Worked out great.

All done. Tomorrow I check for leaks, measure and drill screw holes for the top, and PL the top on. Drivers go in Saturday.

post #74 of 144 Old 06-10-11, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

I'm thinking of a word. Starts with "D" - four letters. Rhymes with "fun."

That's all she wrote for the assembly phase. I will have some PL stains on my hands after this one. After pre-drilling a total of seven locator screws, I heaved the top panel in place, got on top of it, and went to town with the drill.

At the end of all this, I still have an untouched tube of PL. Those interested in trying this project should be warned though... I would have needed it had I not had the old stuff in the storage room. Buy two big tubes. Or four little ones. Too much is better than too little. I also have an untouched box of screws left over... 200 was enough for this one with some left over.

Panel fitment is miles better than the last tapped horn, but the top doesn't quite square up as I'd like. Ah well... close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Some pics of today's progress:

Ready to start. Horn off the sawhorses.

Before anything else, I scraped off some of the excess PL and removed the brackets holding the kludge block in place. I forgot to plug the screw holes with PL, but no big deal - they don't go all the way through anyway.

My oops from the other day.

Changed my brain on the polyfill. Thin layer at the throat. Yes, I did remove that errant staple.

Using the two piece saw guide to mark for the guide lines.

Laying down the guide lines using both saw guides to insure straightness.

Final PL beads laid down.
post #75 of 144 Old 06-10-11, 06:42 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

That's sure gonna be fun getting them drivers in there. Will you be firing her up tomorrow then?
post #76 of 144 Old 06-10-11, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Yes, and yes.
post #77 of 144 Old 06-10-11, 07:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Awesome horn! Can't wait to hear what you think about the in room response.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #78 of 144 Old 06-10-11, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Thanks

Me too. It should come fairly close to the older one, which is currently +/- 2dB at listening position corner loaded between 25-80Hz with no EQ to speak of. I need a better EQ than the Reckhorn B-2 to make it totally flat. Plans are in the works to buy a MiniDSP for that purpose.

The Reckhorn does have EQ applied, but that's only to flatten out its own response and give me a proper highpass.
post #79 of 144 Old 06-11-11, 10:20 AM
Shackster
Oliver

WOW, now that is crazy! How heavy is it? Should be interesting seeing it in action!
post #80 of 144 Old 06-11-11, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

It's probably close to the 170lb mark without the drivers. That should keep it from walking around