Css trio 12 loaded horn - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 154 Old 08-16-12, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
So you're saying take the rubber gasket off that the driver came with and use a foam weather strip instead? I want to be clear before taking action. Or use them both?

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 154 Old 08-16-12, 06:20 PM
Shackster
Mose

Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

I just used the factory gasket and didn't have any problems. Might depend on how smooth/flat the surface is.

By the way... I wouldn't say mine has a whole ton of 'kick' or 'punch'. It's more of an incredible extension of really deep bass. I think what some people associate with 'punch' is more of a mid-bass.

...mose
post #93 of 154 Old 08-16-12, 06:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

2 things to think about.

You want the best deal you can get.

Play with your crossover frequency to see if you need a little bit more help with the front speakers.

If I remember correctly the woofers on those towers are not very big.

Kick and punch in music comes mostly from 80 hertz up to 240 hertz.

I had a few young gents beat the living day lights out of this sub with Rap and such. They came out all ear to ear smiles. One of them had a SDX15 Monkey coffin as a comparison. The comment was that SDX15 was not even close.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 08-17-12 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Typed on phone at night. offers instead of woofers. I hates phone spell checkers.

post #94 of 154 Old 08-17-12, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Okay. Now I'm impressed!! A little bit of progression from yesterday...I did some reading, some research, some "talking", and concluded, with some great advice from those who know better than me, that the Trio 12 needs weatherstrip rather than the gasket it comes with. So down came the box (yes it's heavy), off came the cover and OUT with the driver. I lined the recess I cut into the motor board with two strips of weatherstrip, and then reinstalled the driver onto the baffle. This time I know it's sealed. I got everything back together and did some testing again with the same "music" I was using earlier.

U2 Get on Your Boots
Porter Robinson The State

I'm really happy with the result now. I was hearing a fair bit of distortion before, and a weird flapping vibration deep in the enclosure. Must have been the leaky seal. Now I have distinguishable notes waaaay down low, punch, kick, and no more ugly noise. It's clean, clear, and ominous. The room is full! of incredible bass, and the house shook with every impact.

Kadijk

post #95 of 154 Old 08-17-12, 08:12 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Finally we have KaBoooM!

I knew there was supposed to be Kaboom some where in all this!

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

post #96 of 154 Old 08-17-12, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Oh baby. There's KaBoooom alright. Knock your socks off kaboom. I had the Porter Robinson song on and went upstairs to observe the effects. Let me tell you...there was a full jug of water on the kitchen table that was hopping with the low freq hits. The floor trusses were moving. The concrete floor downstairs was moving. And that's with zero room pressurization due to the absence of doors(yes, I still have to hang the doors). So once the room is buttoned up...just imagine. And all that with an old Kenwood AVR pushing 100w/ch that I got for $35 feeding the beast!

Kadijk

post #97 of 154 Old 08-17-12, 04:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Talking Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

Oh man! Makes me want to drive to Lethbridge and check it out! (I'm in Kelowna.)

Theatre Build:
post #98 of 154 Old 08-17-12, 04:59 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

And you guys dared to doubt me!

Mark

post #99 of 154 Old 08-17-12, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
No doubts Mark. No doubts. I tried to have low expectations all the way through, but the weatherstrip issue let me down. And that was my own fault. Now I would suggest to anyone asking, to go in with high expectations. I've never heard a sub like this one.
I just watched the first few scenes from the Dark Knight. There's stuff in there I have not heard before, and I've watched that beginning a few times. It's absolutely awesome. Cyberfloatie...come on over! Any time. I have a feeling you'll be building soon.

Kadijk

post #100 of 154 Old 08-21-12, 12:59 PM
Shackster

hi, i'm a bit of topic, but i need help. i like that horn from what i read and see on this thread, i tried to contact the CSS, but i get no response, i'm from slovenia, should that be the reason?