Css trio 12 loaded horn - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 154 Old 05-23-12, 05:16 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

Nice.

Going to be a nice box.

I included the plan views that Mose produced. Maybe you got the previous version.

Boy were you working late!

I used to do that until I biscuit jointed some finger tips on my left hand. No more late nights for me. And thankfully my fingers are fine to. I hope you can get your box from your shop to your listening room without having to punch a hole in the wall!

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 05-23-12 at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 154 Old 05-23-12, 09:21 AM
Shackster
Mose

Nice detail on the motorboard. It's a shame nobody will ever see it!

I also used glue on the biscuits and PL everywhere else. Worked well. The biscuits were great for mock-up and trial fit. Also made alignment during assembly really easy. However for the final lid, I only had biscuits on three sides and none in the middle or I feared I wouldn't be able to get the lid on.

Mark, I didn't send him the plan layout, so he must have got it from your packet.

...mose
post #43 of 154 Old 05-23-12, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Thanks guys. I got your layout, Mose, and some other pictures, from Bob. I'm cross referencing Marks drawings, the layout, and my lines on the actual piece to make sure things are correct. I've already caught a couple little things that I did wrong as I drew it out. But all in all things match up really well.

Thinking ahead a little now...any opinion on whether the mouth should end up near the floor or ceiling? I'm willing to play with directional orientation, but flipping end for end does not sound like fun to me.

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #44 of 154 Old 05-24-12, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Quick question for you Mark. I'm putting cleats along all the joints in the box, but I'm considering leaving them 3/4 x 3/4 instead of ripping them 45 degrees. Will this affect the path volume or is it not a factor?

Kadijk

post #45 of 154 Old 05-25-12, 05:11 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

You can leave them square if you want to. But cutting them at an angle gets you many more pieces. If you are nervous about the cut there is a way to cut them by yourself. You run the cut through your stock about half the length of your board. Shut the saw off with the board in place. Pull it out with the saw off and push it through the running saw from the other end. Saves your fingers from getting to close to the blade.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 05-26-12 at 06:15 AM. Reason: didn't turn on the saw the second time
post #46 of 154 Old 05-28-12, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

One would think that a weekend would afford good opportunities to work on a project like this...mine did not. However I did get some time in last week, and although it doesn't look like I got very much done, I do have most of the pieces sized with the biscuits cut in, and test fit for positioning so that there are no surprises when the glue starts to flow. I have started with cutting and testing the bracing, and as I go I will attach the cleats to the pieces that need them so that there is less to deal with once the assembly starts. Hopefully lots of pre planning and fitting will pay off near the end.

I have a few pictures, test fitting the outside edges, cutting biscuits for the baffles, and a ready to install motorboard with bracing in place. I deviated a little from the plan in that I kept the outside a complete rectangle for now, aside from the horn mouth, and will cut those pieces near the driver enclosure out later, once the motorboard is in and I know things are square....thinking like a framer in that I love the natural ability of a corner to hold things square and strong while the interior is being assembled.

Name:  trio 7.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  trio 8.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  trio 9.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  57.0 KB

Kadijk

post #47 of 154 Old 06-01-12, 06:07 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

So?

Impatiently waiting for the boom!

Mark

post #48 of 154 Old 06-01-12, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Oh me too...it seems that Murphy's been around my place. Start a project after so long a wait, and the universe gets jealous. Work gets busier, grass and weeds grow faster, daughters 16th birthdays roll around, etc etc etc. things will start rolling again this weekend. Thanks for asking. I'm trying not to be so perfectionist that I stall myself...just steady progress towards the impending earthquake.

Kadijk

post #49 of 154 Old 06-01-12, 09:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

This is gonna be awesome. BTW where in alberta are you situated?

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!
post #50 of 154 Old 06-02-12, 05:02 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Kadijk at least you are putting the right stuff in the right order.

And man are you going to have a heavy cabinet!

Mark