Css trio 12 loaded horn - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 154 Old 06-04-12, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

I got to work in the garage this weekend, after all the hustle of life settled down a bit. It's not going to look like much in the pictures, and if you're not familiar with the internal workings of this cabinet not much will look like it makes sense. However 9 hours of meticulous measuring and shaping resulted in all my internal bracing being cut, sized, and prep'd for install when required. I cut air travel holes and rounded off all appropriate edges and test fit each piece so that when the glue flows there will be no surprises. It might not look like 9 hours of work, so I can be accused of either working slow ( which is probably most accurate) or of being overly picky ( maybe equally evil ). I look at it this way...no one is paying me to do this, so I can be as sloppy or careful as I want and time only becomes my enemy when I set a deadline for completion, which I won't. I am getting a strong desire to hear this beast in action, so things will not drag on too long. I did actually start assembly too, and glued the braces on the outside panel for the first horn segment so that it's ready to go when the panels start going into place. I'll glue as many cleats on as I can next ( seems easier laying flat than standing in place) and then start putting major pieces together.

By the way, I am in Lethbridge(I'll have to update my profile). I am also still thinking about mouth up at the ceiling or down at the floor...any opinions?

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-10.jpg
All the bracing cut and laying basically where it will go
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-11.jpg

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-12.jpg
Is the project possible with 4 sheets of material? If you're very careful with use...this is all that's left
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-13.jpg

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-14.jpg
The first of the assembly. Braces for the first horn segment. Here we go!

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 154 Old 06-04-12, 05:12 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

I'd have to say that the internal bracing is the hardest part.

So if you have completed that you are doing well.

And it looks really good.

Exit will not really matter that much. The upper frequencies where this horn will work have a longer wavelength than your rooms floor to ceiling dimension. So you are in a case of choose your poison.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #53 of 154 Old 06-08-12, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

4 days since my last post? Ouch, time flies when you're having fun. I got a bit busy with work and stuff, but did manage a couple of evenings to attach all the cleats and brace supports to the panels, baffles and braces. I liked the idea of doing it while the pieces are uninstalled so I could glue and nail them lying down on the work bench as opposed to standing up in the box, not to mention the small areas to work with glue and a nailer.

Yesterday I got started on assembly! It's nice to see the whole thing starting to come together. It's a bit of a patient slow process, because the glue needs to set and I don't have 100 clamps, but I've been able to come back to the project at different times of the day and add another piece and keep going bit by bit. It definitely helps to have all the parts pre made and pre fitted so that I don't have to be cutting and shaping and frantic while the assembly is drying. Maybe by the end of the weekend I'll have most of the main structure complete...

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-15.jpg
first and second panels on and clamped!
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-16.jpg

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-17.jpg
third panel on with bracing already attached.
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-18.jpg
thank goodness for a brother and dad who also own clamps...
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-19.jpg
fourth panel forming the bottom and giving the mouth it's shape
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-20.jpg
motor board installed and clamped
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-21.jpg
driver enclosure. It doesn't have alot of room back there
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-22.jpg
first interior baffle forming the pinched throat in front of the driver.

This is definitely a challenging cabinet to build, but it seems to be coming together without a hitch so far. One thing that seems strange is the way that the PL Premium "reacts" as it dries. I'm not using it for the actual joinery, but using it more like caulking once the joints are solid. It actually bubbles, like something behind it is trying to gas off. Not sure what's causing that, and I'm not too worried because it's not causing problems. I just haven't seen glue do that before.
Can't wait to put it through the paces...

Kadijk

post #54 of 154 Old 06-08-12, 09:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Doug

That's coming together nicely! It's going to be one heavy beast when you're done!

Theatre Build:
post #55 of 154 Old 06-10-12, 01:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Looking great x 2!

The PL is actually a bit better than most PVA glues as it does a couple of things very well. It is great against shock resistance. And as it cures it expands. That fills in any minor gaps in the joinery. A horn has to be air tight along it's path length. You are telling the pressure wave off of the woofer cone what it's doing and where it is going by means of the horn path. If there are leaks there will be serious losses in efficiency. And close to the woofer there is serious amounts of air pressure. I have yet to find an affordable sensor to measure it, but I'm working on that.

Clamps are your friend, I have 300, so most of the time I'm OK. But more times than I can count I have had all of them in use at the same time on the same job.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

post #56 of 154 Old 06-13-12, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
The PL premium is amazing glue. I do love it. It just seems too thick for the actual joinery. So I guess I've reduced it to a serious caulk.

Construction continues one piece at a time. I do have more pics but haven't had time to post them. The horn path is really taking shape now. And the box is gaining weight. All good signs.

Kadijk

post #57 of 154 Old 06-13-12, 07:36 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Well still looking pretty good.

A slow but steady route still wins the race.

As for PL not being good for joinery, remember that it is thixotropic, as in when it first comes out it is relatively thick. If you use it in a proper manner on a good fitting joint you end up with. Nice thin glue line. Try it if you are in doubt.

Mark

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 06-13-12 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typed it on a phone. Sorry.
post #58 of 154 Old 06-13-12, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I managed to pry the computer out of the kids hands for a few moments, so here are some progress pictures. Getting bored with the same old looks? Not me! I know there is progress, and every piece is one closer to finished and thundering. After tonight's glue session, all I have left in the main structure is the bracing, which all fits super good and should go relatively quickly.

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-24.jpg
Closing up the first segment and moving towards the first turn.
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-25.jpg
It still baffles me that the throat and first segment can be SO narrow. I've been building this unbeknownst to most of my friends, but the few that have seen the box so far can't believe the narrow, "restricted" horn path for the first 9 feet or so...they don't believe it will work. And I tell them, "Kravchenko designed it, so it's GOING to work!!"
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-26.jpg
forming up the second segment and moving towards the second turn. Ready for bracing
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-27.jpg

Kadijk

post #59 of 154 Old 06-14-12, 12:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Ooooh! I'm getting shivers just looking at it! You're certainly doing a nice job of the woodwork.

I can't wait to hear your reports of how it sounds!

Theatre Build:
post #60 of 154 Old 06-14-12, 05:18 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Thunder.

Thundering.

Boom!

Kravchenko designed it so it works! Man, nothing like a little pressure. At least there is a prototype and a bunch of other builds to look back on. Yours is going to be very well built. Have you tried fitting in the bracing around the cleats? Sometimes some things get in the way.

And those buddies will be real handy come time to move your monster. Half inch MDF is 110 lbs a sheet if I remember correctly.

Mark