Css trio 12 loaded horn - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 154 Old 06-14-12, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
It's definitely exciting to see it take shape, as slow as that is. I pick it up on one end every now and again to get a feel for the weight. Conclusion...it's heavy! I'm sure I've moved heavier more awkward things though, so this won't be so bad.

Mark, pressures good for you. Keeps you on your toes and in top form.

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 154 Old 06-14-12, 10:04 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

Wow - I did not realize the size - very nice! And, it looks like your normal stellar workmanship K - subscribed!

post #63 of 154 Old 06-21-12, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Wow - I did not realize the size - very nice! And, it looks like your normal stellar workmanship K - subscribed!
Thanks Joe. Nice to see you following along.

Kadijk

post #64 of 154 Old 06-21-12, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Summer in the construction industry and free time don't tend to co-exist. Then add an acreage with grass and rain every other day...one could be a full time mower!!

Here's a little update on some progress. I've got most of the bracing in, and just need to put some braces in the big turn and in the mouth. Then I can prep the driver space and put the last big panel on to close it up.

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-28.jpg
Second segment bracing
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-29.jpg
vertical bracing for the third segment
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-30.jpg
third segment braced!
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-31.jpg
the mouth of the beast (unbraced as of yet)

Kadijk

post #65 of 154 Old 06-21-12, 08:00 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Oh so close to wood off!

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #66 of 154 Old 07-07-12, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Can't believe its been over 2 weeks since I was able to work on the project! That's what life does sometimes. I know there are others here that have had to slow down production as summer activities role in. The hard part is picking up where one left off and continuing with the same gusto and determination. Now my unfortunately uninsulated garage is around 35 degrees Celsius during the late afternoon, so working in there is a test of will, not just a test of energy. And so I press on. I actually watched the Transformers 2 bluray last night, pre-horn, just to get a good feel for what I have now and to have a reference for when this beast is ready. I still think those 2 sealed peerless are surprisingly good...things were rattling in the room that never have before. I think I'll be doing some vibration suppression once the horn is in place(I think the adjustable shelves in my component rack will suddenly become non-adjustable).

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-32.jpg
bracing installed in the big turn

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-33.jpg
expanding foam (and some batts to follow) in the center divider

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-34.jpg
two coats of primer and two coats of paint in advance in the mouth

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-35.jpg
extra material cut away to prep for the driver cover and final panel instal

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-36.jpg
waiting.......

I'm hoping to get the final panel on tonight, so it can dry and then the prep starts on the driver cover-once the glue dries.

Kadijk

post #67 of 154 Old 07-07-12, 09:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Doug

So exciting! I can't wait to hear your impressions of this beast!

Theatre Build:
post #68 of 154 Old 07-08-12, 05:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Pretty good cabinet making for a lowly framer!

All I can say is great job.

And interesting idea about subwoofer comparison. I can tell you that there will be a difference. There will be a change in tone,as in you may miss some grunt at the beginning. That's your Peerless drivers pooping out. Drivers getting to their excursion limits tend to distort quite badly. This sounds like louder bass. Takes a bit of getting used to listening to clean loud bass. What you will get in spades will be punch, and much greater dynamics. Toss in being able to drop almost an octave deeper with the same level of efficiency, and much lower distortion. You will enjoy going through your movie and music collection trying everything you thought had low end. Some will disappoint, some will knock your socks off.

Still waiting for woof off. ( phone spell checker can't change it this time! I'm fixing and typing on my puter.)

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 07-08-12 at 07:23 AM. Reason: phixed fone spill cheker
post #69 of 154 Old 07-08-12, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks, guys.

Well it was midnight before we were done, but the panel is on and clamped and drying!! The pictures are taken after all the glue squeeze out was cleaned up, so don't be concerned...there was glue almost everywhere! A peek inside with a trouble light revealed good glueing everywhere I could see, and if there were gaps(and I don't think there were), they did not exist any longer.

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-37.jpg

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-38.jpg

todays task...rest this morning, and build the driver hatch this afternoon while the glue cures.

Kadijk

post #70 of 154 Old 07-24-12, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Update...no real progress. Clamps are off, glue is dry, and I'm really itching to finish! But this is the nature of summer. And I won't get anything done in the next two weeks...holidays=camping. So August it'll be. Hope your summer has been fun so far...

Kadijk