Css trio 12 loaded horn - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 154 Old 08-13-12, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

Well it's been a crazy weekend of controlled frenzy. I managed to get the driver enclosure complete, did some modifications for the hook up terminal, and drilled and installed the threaded inserts for the driver cover. Saturday was planned as completion day, and so 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and some soldering had to happen. I'm thankful to my loving wife, who lived basically without me for the day as I tried my best to get this thing done. I'm learning...slowly...it's the last two percent of almost any project that will tend to kill a person.So thanks again to my wife for being patient with me in these last couple days. Here is some progress to look at...
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-39.jpg
backing in the driver enclosure for weather strip and threaded inserts
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-40.jpg
nail holes and blemishes filled and ready for sanding
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-41.jpg
test fit on the driver cover
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-42.jpg
I don't think the true size of the cabinet hit me until we stood it on end. That's a 6' ladder standing there
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-43.jpg
painted, drying, waiting for morning
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-44.jpg
driver cover with the hookup ready to go

Now for some muscle, and locktite, and patience...

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 154 Old 08-13-12, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Da Sub is in Da House!!

Early this morning my son and I loaded the horn onto the truck and drove it to the basement door for easy access to the theater. Yup, it was heavy. But we made the 50' carry and began the final steps. Driver instal, cover instal, and some test placement. I love how it disappears into the corner and just sits there waiting to knock your socks off.
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-45.jpg
loaded and ready to go
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-46.jpg

Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-47.jpg
test position one
Css trio 12 loaded horn-trio-48.jpg
test position two. much better this way, and I'm not sure why. Might have to do with the lack of doors and the back of the room. This faces the side.

So...we watched Inception BD, and I had to turn the amp level down a fair bit from where I had it with the two Peerless 10's. The low's were incredible, and I think things were shaking in the house that have never shook before. My wife and two children watching with us were very impressed, and so am I. I'm not sure what to say except Awesome! My concrete floor felt like it was melting, or at least moving!
Afterwords I did a little test on my own with the WOTW pod scene, and the amp driving the sub went into protection...a little scary. Then I started thinking about things. I forgot that the Trio 12 is a 4 ohm driver and the Peerless are 8ohm. So I have switched the amp setting( a switch on the back) and will have to do some more listening tomorrow. Hopefully the driver is not damaged (?) and the amp lives on (?). I guess I'll see tomorrow evening. Aside from that I am really impressed so far with the deep and full sound. I did a little mid movie switcheroo from the Peerless to the horn, and there really is no comparison. It's fuller, deeper, and even more hard hitting on the punchy side.

Thanks to Mark, and Bob, for a great product and a great design. I'm "preaching" CSS to everyone who asks for sub advice.

Kadijk

post #83 of 154 Old 08-13-12, 05:13 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Finally.

All that hard work and you get a payoff. The great part is that you will be getting a return on investment for many years to come. Forgot a comment on the great looks. It's a big ugly box that goes boom. And you managed to make it look good. Awesome workmanship.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 08-13-12 at 06:31 AM.

post #84 of 154 Old 08-13-12, 08:25 AM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Thumbs up Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

Absolutely fantastic! I really couldn't picture how big it was, even with the photo of it beside the ladder, until you put it in the corner. That is one mammoth beast and like Mark said, you made it look good! Great even! Painting it the same color as the walls is a stroke of genius. I probably would have done something stupid like painting it black.

Seeing it now in your space has given me a bunch of ideas for mine. I only hope my rusty woodworking skills are up to the challenge!

Well done!

Theatre Build:
post #85 of 154 Old 08-13-12, 05:06 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

So where's the big description of the beast?

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

post #86 of 154 Old 08-14-12, 12:57 AM
Senior Shackster
favelle

So in your honest opinion, for an amateur woodworker with average skills and tools, is this design attainable?
post #87 of 154 Old 08-14-12, 05:29 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Hello favelle.

There is one piece inside that requires a 45 cut. Every single piece including that one could be done with a skill saw and a straight 2x4 as a guide. You need a drill and a caulking gun, a jigsaw would be very useful. Otherwise you need vision, tenacity and muscles.

The manual provides the vision.

Tenacity and muscles......

Your on your own buddy!

Mark

post #88 of 154 Old 08-14-12, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
@favelle. I think it's totally possible to build this enclosure in the conditions you describe. Just remember scale. It's not a 2'x2'x2' cube. It's like building four of those at once, all in one piece. The woodwork isn't complicated, it's large. And the bigger you get the more careful and accurate one needs to be simply because error seems to compound faster. Care, patience, determination. Muscles. And help from some shacksters and youre shaking the earth in your neighborhood.

Kadijk

post #89 of 154 Old 08-16-12, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
I made a huge assumption, maybe in error. I've installed the Trio 12 driver with only the factory gasket as a sealer to the baffle. I'm not convinced that it's sealing, and now I'm wondering if I should have used a weatherstrip as well. Any advice? It's a big job to do, but certainly not impossible. My hunch about the seal is that I feel like there should be more clarity and punch, and I'm wondering if that's a seal/air pressure issue at the motorboard.

Kadijk

post #90 of 154 Old 08-16-12, 11:01 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

You should seal the driver to the motor board for sure.

Mark