Css trio 12 loaded horn - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 154 Old 11-04-11, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Css trio 12 loaded horn

Was just perusing the CSS web site and noticed a loaded horn kit involving the trio 12 sub driver. Does anyone have any insights or experience with this design? It looks very impressive on paper as far as FR and SPL are concerned...I'm suddenly very interested. One concern is placement. The most practical place for a box that size is in a corner, but I'm worried about the purported corner problems. Or does a loaded horn design behave differently than a normal vented design?

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 Old 11-05-11, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
To add to my question...could one place this sub in an adjacent room (ie storage room) and have the "horn" flush mounted in the wall? Would that non baffle step arrangement be detrimental to the bass freq?

Kadijk

post #3 of 154 Old 11-07-11, 05:20 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

The designer of the horn can answer your questions. Send him a PM.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...=newpm&u=39403

We're all in this together!

post #4 of 154 Old 11-07-11, 10:20 AM
Shackster

Oscillate

kadijk... there is also a thread on another forum where I recently posted a question
to Mark that was quickly answered.

This CSS Trio12 horn seems like really good design! At first the sheer size of the
cabinet seemed too large ...but after adding together the combined volume of the
multiple vented subwoofers cabinets required to achieve the same results it seemed
quite reasonable. Plus the costs of multiple drivers and the higher powered amps they
require versus a single CSS Trio12 and a decent 250W amplifier ...well, this seems like
a winner! I sincerely feel that after a few of us build and post reviews on this horn, that
interst in building it will increase dramatically.
post #5 of 154 Old 11-07-11, 11:19 AM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
Oscillate wrote: View Post
kadijk... there is also a thread on another forum where I recently posted a question
to Mark that was quickly answered.

This CSS Trio12 horn seems like really good design! At first the sheer size of the
cabinet seemed too large ...but after adding together the combined volume of the
multiple vented subwoofers cabinets required to achieve the same results it seemed
quite reasonable. Plus the costs of multiple drivers and the higher powered amps they
require versus a single CSS Trio12 and a decent 250W amplifier ...well, this seems like
a winner! I sincerely feel that after a few of us build and post reviews on this horn, that
interst in building it will increase dramatically.
I have one of the Anarchy TH with a 115w amp with very little gain and it sounds very good in my garage crossed over at 85hz to a couple bookshelves. I had to turn the gain down to blend nicely, and l like my bass! It looks to be a very good design for those handy with wood and needing good low end output for low total cost. If you can 'hide' it, it becomes even easier and cost effective, not needing finishing.

post #6 of 154 Old 11-07-11, 06:59 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Man.

Enough to make a guy blush.

Kadijk you are going to have some fun.

This really is one of the most butt kicking subs I have ever played with. The only thing that came close was a five fifteen inch monkey coffin I built years ago tuned to nine hertz. But the trio 12 horn sounds cleaner.

The only caveat I repeat over and over.

This sub produces prodigious amounts of very clean bass. If you like the boom boom boom you may find this a bit different. It produces clean bass that will blow you away if it is there in the recording. Not that many recordings have a great deal of real low bass. It is more often that loud midbass is confused with loud low bass. Once you have heard the real thing you never want to go back!

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #7 of 154 Old 11-07-11, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I think I'm "in" if the bass is deep, relatively powerful, and distortion free. If this type of design gets me that relatively economically, then it meets my home theater philosophy..."really good for as little dollars as possible"

So to get the questions on the table...
1. is this sub appropriate for corner placement, or is it subject to the same corner loading problems that we try to avoid with most other subs? Or does the loaded horn design behave differently in a corner than others? Or does it need the corner in some way? The cabinet is big and corner placement is most practical as far as room space use issues go.

2. could one place this in an adjacent room and have the horn opening flush to the wall facing into my theater and simply have it appear as a cloth grill on the wall?Or does the lack of baffle step create problems with the sound or frequency response or SPL? Is no baffle step a negative factor?

3. this one is tricky...the design and performance of the sub you built and sell plans for is carefully planned out. Could the same results be achieved with a footprint of 20x24 rather than 16x32? In my case 20x24 works better aesthetically, and so its where I would lean. I am not asking you to conflict yourself and the relationship you have with CSS...rather is there a way to design a cabinet that could achieve what yours does, or is there a direct link between the size you chose and the results you have? This question assumes that corner placement is okay, because 20x24 is what fits my corner. 16x32 might actually work lying on its side under my screen and holding my center channel(assuming I can find good feet for my center so it doesn't rattle to death)

Thanks so much for your help in this

Kadijk

post #8 of 154 Old 11-08-11, 06:18 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Answers...

1. Yes corner loading will increase the output and not the boom. With a horn or any speaker for that matter more reflective surfaces add to the sound that you get to hear. As in the greater amount of areas that can bounce the sound back to you the more sound you get to hear.

The difference between this subwoofer and most others is that the response is quite even with a corner placement. Many subwoofers get designed in such a manner that they grossly exagerate the bass when placed in a corner.

2. Absolutely. The only thing that must be in the listening room is the mouth exit and you.
Baffle step on such an enclosure is not a factor.

3. Dream on my friend. The sizing is such that you get the maximum use of your materials. A cabinet maker I am I am. I hates waste!

a re-design is not a trivial task. You could do it and I'll tell you how.

Each point in the design has a surface area. If you calculate it out you can resize the design by manipulating the height/width ratios while still respecting the length and fold. But be warned it is not as easy as it looks. Nor is it impossible. This fold took me seven attempts before I maximized the horn and minimized the wasted space.

If you buy Bob's kit you get a full 3D sketchup rendering done by Dan Finley (NeoDan). All the sizing is available within that model.

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #9 of 154 Old 11-08-11, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Thanks Mark. This is very interesting, and little spoken of it seems. Or at least I haven't noticed much discussion on this topic.

The horn path is long and so is there a need for some sort of delay or timing set up? Or is it a non factor? I do use odyssey and I think it has some delay compensation as part of its eq process, or is it more complicated than that?

Kadijk

post #10 of 154 Old 11-08-11, 09:04 AM
Senior Shackster

Doug

I've been drooling over these plans for a few months now and am wish I was in a position to build them myself. The way I see it, the worst case is that I hate it and have a Trio12 left over to put into something else. From everything I've seen on the Internets about this kit, that's not a likely scenario.

For now, I must live vicariously through you. Go for it and keep us posted here on how its going and how it turns out!

Theatre Build: