SDX12 in a 2.1 (ft3) .....help!!! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 14 Old 03-26-14, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: SDX12 in a 2.1 (ft3) .....help!!!

Quote:
Gioxtream wrote: View Post
What's the perfect ported volume for this driver and the perfect ports length and diameter?

I am wondering if I can get a carpenter to add extra volume to my boxes that's all.

Thanks so much.
Hummmmmm.

If I decide to go with a single passive radiator......could you recomend a better looking one than the css?

A link for a good passive radiator would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 03-26-14, 07:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

You would have a net intenal volume of about 1.7 cu.ft. and the port would be 30" long so porting is not realistic. I don't know what other PR's that would work. You should just go with a sealed design.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-24-15, 04:09 PM
Senior Shackster
tim

sorry to bimp this thread, just wondering if the OP ever built this box and how it turned out.

I am building almost an identical sized sealed box and was just looking for some input.

i figure after amp ,speaker and bracing are deducted from the volume, i will be at 1.6cuft of actual airspace.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-11-15, 09:07 PM
Shackster
Steve

My System

For a 1.6 net cubic foot sealed enclosure, you'll have a system Q a little over 0.6. I'd recommend going larger if you can, and try to get closer to 0.5. My box is 3 cubic feet, and stuffed with a pound of Poly-Fil it's right around 0.5. It's very responsive, and handles the opening bass tones of Edge of Tomorrow very well, retains the timbre of upright bass in jazz tracks, and handles a symphonic bass drum with transparency.

If you're interested in vented, you're looking at 2x rear-mounted 1.75" dia x 16 2/3" length ports for a port tuning of 21.2Hz. You can probably manage that going 7" in, 90 degree bend, and another 9" or so down. F3 will be about 25Hz, F6 about 20Hz, and the sub will average about 107dB from 30 - 80Hz at 250W. At 25Hz you'll have about 5dB more ouput with vented than with sealed. If nothing else, you could buy a couple of rubber corks and plug the ports whenever you want to try sealed.

Not a bad system plan, but you give up a small bit of subsonic extension with the smaller size vented box. Be that as it may, it still graphs nicely in that size enclosure.

Notice the dip in the cone excursion centered right at the driver's Fs, and the symmetry between the peaks in the impedance graph with the center also at Fs. Those are a couple of indicators of a solid design.

If you prefer, you could use the CSS 12" passive radiator instead of ports, add eleven of the 45g washers for 495g of ballast, and end up with similar tuning (albeit with a sharper subsonic rolloff).

I think a 2.5cu.ft. box with two 2"x13.5" ports would be slightly better, having an F3 of 20Hz and less likely to require bends in the ports. But truth be told, there's only about a 2.5dB difference between the two at 25Hz, and you might never hear enough difference that it'd matter.

Last edited by calraith; 05-11-15 at 09:47 PM.