DIY Bi-Amp setup for front 3 channels - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

12Likes

post #1 of 66 Old 02-01-17, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ron

My System
DIY Bi-Amp setup for front 3 channels

I am going to give building an amp a try now. I just ordered a Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 50ASX2 SE 2x50W Class D Amplifier, and a B&O ICEpower 125ASX2 amplifier module. This will give me enough power to power 2 of my new speakers (bi-amped). Iam still looking for one more of each to finish off the amp, and an enclosure. I am hoping this turns out to be pretty easy to build. I need to still find the banana jacks, power connector, and a power button for this too. Am I forgetting anything? I will have to make up the wires for wiring too.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 08:45 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Re: DIY Bi-Amp setup for front 3 channels

Still tinkering, eh Ron?! From this pic I found of the module's back panel, it seems this particular version also has a balanced input and a switch to toggle between AES/EBU and RCA input connections.
DIY Bi-Amp setup for front 3 channels-image1.jpg

And here's the front panel. Nice enclosure, eh?
DIY Bi-Amp setup for front 3 channels-image2.jpg
ellisr63 likes this.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Lumen; 02-03-17 at 07:51 AM. Reason: EDIT1: Fix article link. EDIT2: Fix pic links by attaching image rather than embedding URL.
post #3 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 12:07 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
Still tinkering, eh Ron?! From this pic I found of the module's back panel, it seems this particular version also has a balanced input and a switch to toggle between AES/EBU and RCA input connections.

Louie, your links did not work for me.

How about power, is that covered? Those amp modules can be very capable, looking forward to your writeup.

post #4 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ron

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Louie, your links did not work for me.

How about power, is that covered? Those amp modules can be very capable, looking forward to your writeup.
I think we have power covered...the 50wpc ones will be for the horns, and the 125wpc ones will be for the bass bins. I am going to try and use a Elan 16 channel case for my amp build. I figure this way it will at least have all the holes on the back for me to do all 14 channels as IcePower modules. I am thinking another 4 IcePower 125wpc modules should complete all 14 channels required, and have zero fan noise. I will post up pics as i progress. I have never built anything like this so I will have a friend assisting me if i run into problems. I am hoping that by buying the modules it is more of an assembly of parts than one where i am soldering pieces on a circuit board.

Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #5 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ron

My System

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post

I wish your links worked... I am a member over there too.

I will have to see if I have enough room for 28 XLR connections too.
Strange they work when quoted though.

post #6 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ron

My System

I found 2 more amp modules, so now i have enough to do the front 3 channels bi-amped. I will try to arrange the modules so i can run all the channels in the Elan case (if I get it).

post #7 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 01:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I meant AC power, but I am sure you thought of that, too.

Here is a thought, kinda along the perfectionistic way of looking at things.

A spec that is hard to find these days for most power amps is crosstalk, or channel separation, which tends to decrease with frequency and can impact SS&I at high (10 kHz) frequencies.

Best way to make it not an issue would be to do vertical bi-amping, where the two channels of an amp are used to power the two drivers of the same speaker. Don't know how that would mess up your plans and don't know how much audible difference it would make. Just a thought.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 01:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Link corrected
ellisr63 likes this.

post #9 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 02:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
ICEpower's feature sheet shows these modules are fully protected. I wonder if their recovery mechanism includes visual feedback. Are there any indicators that can alert the user to fault conditions? I imagine a non-functioning channel/driver would be a giveaway in a 2-way configuration, but might take awhile to detect depending on program material and playback volume. I'd prefer something a little more obvious like a power indicator changing from green to red, or better yet - flashing. Connecting the modules to a master fuse/breaker is beyond my area of expertise, and has questionable benefits for such well-protected devices. Still, I'd be more comfortable with an indication something is amiss - if for no other reason than to diagnose a problem.

Quote:

A spec that is hard to find these days for most power amps is crosstalk, or channel separation, which tends to decrease with frequency and can impact SS&I at high (10 kHz) frequencies.

Best way to make it not an issue would be to do vertical bi-amping, where the two channels of an amp are used to power the two drivers of the same speaker. Don't know how that would mess up your plans and don't know how much audible difference it would make. Just a thought.
In my quest to obtain more performance from my stereo system, I crossed a path where I obsessed over channel separation. Long story short, I wound up with one monoblock per channel. No direct A/B comparison could be made - how convenient say the objectivists! - because stereo amp "A" was converted to mono. But I knew in my heart that the system sounded more like music than a assemblage of mechanical parts making musical sounds. Or so I believed. So if you believe, then you too can experience the difference low crosstalk can make (I jest, of course).
Savjac and ellisr63 like this.

post #10 of 66 Old 02-02-17, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ron

My System

Quote:

Not sure if i follow... We are using the 50w version for the horns, and the 125w for the woofers in the same cabinet. Not sure is the way you say to do it, and reduce noise, but we don't need as much power for the horns, and we will have to level control the horns.