CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 305 Old 03-21-08, 03:00 PM
m109ner
Inactive

Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

I took pictures of all the connector locations prior to pullingn them. Double checked all those connectors (three from the firing guns RBG, board jumper connectors, etc) and they are all in. Also tried pulling large red, blk, white wires from large round black "box" next to IC Chip and heat sink but could never remove them completely. Do these control audio/video? Is there an easy way to pull these? My next step is to pull the board out again and confirm that there are no cold solders on the IC chip pins. I doubt it, but it's worth a try. The weird thing is that I get no Video and no Audio.

Really stomping me! Any other thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 305 Old 03-21-08, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Obviously something changed between the time it worked and it didn't. The most likely culprit is something that you did. It is certainly possible that some other fault coincidentally occurred, but this is pretty unlikely. You need to figure out what you did. This is part of the skill of repairs that I cannot communicate online. I cannot find it for you.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #113 of 305 Old 03-22-08, 06:43 PM
ibokie
Inactive

Icaillo,
As far as the convergence problem goes with the STK's and resistors, heat seems to be the culprit. I read in one of you earlier threads that you don't recommend connecting a fan to the TV's board. I agree that it could be a cause of some type of audio or visual frequency interference with the set or a power issue. Have you ever done a fan and/or do you have any suggestions on hooking up a cooling fan that would turn on and off with turning on or off the TV. Sure seems it would be a benefit to the components.

post #114 of 305 Old 03-22-08, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I do not do fans in any sets. My issue is less with interference than with drawing too much current and with the possibility of problems with the connections and wiring. There are external fans that you can find that run based on the temp. I have never had recalls on convergence repairs. Cooling cannot hurt, but there is no reason to wire a fan to the internal circuits of the set.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #115 of 305 Old 03-23-08, 07:31 PM
cordless89
Inactive

For lcaillo:

I have replaced some stk392-110 with the formentioned stk394-160 series. I am still having an issue with the convergence drifting a little bit here and there, both red and blue. It is usually a small drift easily corrected in the service menu but thats getting old. Do you know what could be causing this? BTW - The set is a Panasonic PT-53WX42F.
post #116 of 305 Old 03-23-08, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Drifting how in terms of what part of the screen, which color, which direction, over what period of time? Is it stable after a period of warm up?

post #117 of 305 Old 03-23-08, 07:50 PM
cordless89
Inactive

There is no real definate area but it does seem to be the red more often than blue. Once adjusted, its fine for a few days, maybe a week. My wife thinks I being way to picky and wanting an excuse to get a new one but...
post #118 of 305 Old 03-23-08, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

When are you evaluating it? After how much warm-up? Which direction does it drift? Horizontally, vertically? Always the same, how much? Without more information it is hard to be of help.

post #119 of 305 Old 03-26-08, 06:38 PM
Panda
Inactive

Hi, I have a very simple and quite possibly the most dumbest question but I wasn't sure.

The STK394-160E resistors, if I ordered them from TRITRONICS or Vance BALDWIN ELECTRONICS does the Hitachi Kit come with 2? or just 1? Cause I see the price going for $37.65.

I have the same problem as everyone else. (See Pictures Below) My model is Hitachi 53SWX01W and the original resistors are STK392-110.

Thanks in advance.
post #120 of 305 Old 03-26-08, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

The kit comes with two STKs, which are the ICs, not resistors. It also comes with a number of resistors. Make sure that you get the right kit for your model television or the resistors may not be the right values.

Closed Thread