CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #121 of 305 Old 03-26-08, 08:17 PM
Panda
Inactive

Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
The kit comes with two STKs, which are the ICs, not resistors. It also comes with a number of resistors. Make sure that you get the right kit for your model television or the resistors may not be the right values.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. And that's what I mean. lol, I'm just not familiar with the terminology. I'm glad I asked the question or else I'll be paying twice as much for 4 when I only need 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 305 Old 03-29-08, 03:38 PM
Joe Gifford
Inactive

Hi I have a Hitachi 43FDX01B My picture went out and it was after some convergence issues started. It had been fixed once before by a tv guy for the ususal price. He replaced the 110's with 110's. Well after reading this post I bought the upgrade 160 package that hitachi puts out. It came with some resistors and a nice explanation page (with a good picture) of where the replacements go. bought it here. https://www.ued.net/ued/addItems.do?itemCode=HIPX480301

I put these in and the resistors. I'm not a tv repair man,,, but I think I did ok.
My picture came back on.
The BlUE is way off and I can't move it.
The picture is bowed down on the top and up on the bottom.
I can't get the convergence to align.
I tried going in the grid. I have the service manual. And my remote.
It's too vague on how to adjust.
Is this an adjustment? I can align? I'd really appreciate any help don't hesitate to e-mail me if you can help. thanks Joe
post #123 of 305 Old 03-30-08, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Check your work. If the pix is bowed and you cannot adjust the blue, you likely have a bad connection, missed a resistor, or bridged a solder connection. Sometimes you can have a bad convergence generator module, but this would require some troubleshooting with a scope to isolate.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #124 of 305 Old 04-01-08, 01:31 PM
Scuba Steve

Wow, this is really a great and informative thread. The best on the internet, and that is quite a claim!
I have a Toshiba 55h70 that I am in the process of changing out the STK's and I am a little confused about the resistors. I have identified the resistors related to the IC's, R7711, R7721,
R7116, R7726, R7736, and R7731. The service manual descibes them as "MF, 1.2 ohm, 2W", but I have been told from Techs on other sites that I need 1.8 ohm 1W resistors. The 1.2 ohm 2W resistors are a bugger to find on the internet.
I have already ordered the 1.8 ohm 1watt resistors, will they not work?
post #125 of 305 Old 04-01-08, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

The service manual shows 1.2ohm. Generally these values are pretty critical. Who told you to use 1.8 and where did the information come from? If it was not from Toshiba it would be very suspect. The difference between the two could cause some pretty drastic linearity changes.

You should be able to get the resistors from several of the suppliers that I have listed in the parts distributor thread like Tritronics or B&D. IIRC the Hitachi kits that have the STK394-160 that I use as an upgrade in these sets mostly come with 1.2 or 1.8 ohm. I will look to see which one does.

edit: It looks like all of the Hitachi kits come with 1.5 or 1.8 ohm resistors. You should still be able to get the 1.2 ohm from most Toshiba or Hitachi authorized distributors.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #126 of 305 Old 04-01-08, 04:31 PM
Scuba Steve

OK, I was afraid of that. I am pretty sure I was on Allexperts.com when I read that I needed the 1.8ohm resistor. I have been doing so much research that I can't remember for sure....
I guess I will order from here https://www.vancebaldwin.com/
They are higher than some of the others that I have seen, but at least I know I'm getting the right part this time.
Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by Scuba Steve; 04-01-08 at 04:41 PM. Reason: wrong url
post #127 of 305 Old 04-08-08, 07:21 PM
Panda
Inactive

Update:

So basically, I was fixing my TV today and everything went well except for the soldering part. Some pins when I were to solder it, it wouldn't stick to the board and it would just connect itself to another pin that was already soldered. So I desoldered, soldered and repeated the steps until I was able to get a decent solder. During the process, I heard a few "clicks" and I saw during some of my soldering the board started to bubble a little on the green area.

When I was complete, I placed every cable in the original spot and double checked the connection and when I turned on my TV, there's a green LED light that just clicks and blinks. I think I blew out the board.. Or maybe the IC's that I ordered were bad? or maybe resistors need to be changed? Ugh, this was my first time soldering but I saw/read some tutorials online on how to do it.

Could anyone confirm?
post #128 of 305 Old 04-08-08, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

You have to go back and check your work. Verify the continuity from the pins to the first connection on each trace. Verify that you have not bridged two pins together. You may have damaged a trace on the board.

post #129 of 305 Old 04-09-08, 12:09 PM
Panda
Inactive

Thanks for clarifying Icaillo. I believe I damaged the board somehow. I went to check my work again, tried to solder the ones that were having difficulty trying to stick to the board. All it did was form a solder blob and rolled down to the next solder joining that one. Is there any way to fix the damage board?

I'm thinking I'm going to throw in the towel and stop wasting more hours and money into this DIY project. Does anyone know who takes old TV's ? haha
post #130 of 305 Old 04-21-08, 08:27 AM
lsdean
Inactive

I have a Mits WS-65857. This problem sometimes happens at startup but will sometimes popup here and there at random times. It does seem that it happens infrequently when the tv has been on awhile.

Is this a convergence issue (possibly soldering job fix it?)? Roughly, is this an expensive fix or should I look for a replacement if this issue gets worse? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

I have attached two pics of the issue
Attached Thumbnails
CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs-img_4974.jpg  

CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs-img_4975.jpg  

Closed Thread