CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #141 of 305 Old 05-21-08, 03:34 AM
Abe
Inactive

Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Im about to replace the Convergence IC on my Mitsubishi ws-55511 is it better to completely remove the board or is it possible to replace the IC while installed in the projection unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 305 Old 05-21-08, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

It depends on the set and how the wires are dressed. IIRC, I usually just pull the chassis out and stand it up on these, removing a few wires to get the slack needed.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #143 of 305 Old 05-28-08, 06:13 PM
wwk3
Inactive

Hello,
I have a Samsung HCM5525W, I replaced both Ic's, and when I fired it up I cannot adjust red, and it is bowed along the top and sides. I check and found that I had two burnt resistors, the rz144 and rz145. I replaced those with 2 3.9 ohm 2 watt resistor. When I turned the set back on the red is still not adjustable. When I was removing the IC's i did knick the board a bit, but I bridged the gap I created with a bit of solder. Any advice on what could be causing this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!!

-Warren

post #144 of 305 Old 05-28-08, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Open connection, damaged IC, inferior parts quality, bridged solder connection, DCU problem... lots of possibilities, check your work.

Please start a new thread when discussing a new problem.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #145 of 305 Old 06-10-08, 08:34 PM
Murphster05
Inactive

This may have been asked elsewhere, and I read everything from the first page the third post. I have a Pioneer SD-643HD5 with convergence issues. I am going to replace the ICs on the convergence board. I pulled the board out and found they are the STK392-110's, but I have two STK392-180's. I got them after reading this post:

http://home.earthlink.net/~oleg.fili...ergenceFix.htm

Are these the wrong IC's for this board? Should I reorder and get the 394-160's or will the 392-180's work well enough? Thanks for any help you can provide on this matter.
-Robert

EDIT: Is this the wrong area for this question? Do I need to start a new post for this question? Apologies if I have posted incorrectly.
post #146 of 305 Old 06-11-08, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

The STK392-180 is perfectly OK as a sub for the STK392-110 IF the manufacturer was actually Sanyo. The important question here is where did you get them and how sure are you that they are not a counterfeit or second quality part?

Yes, you should always start a new thread for a new question. This is the right forum in which to post the question.

post #147 of 305 Old 06-12-08, 10:26 PM
kaindia_1
Inactive

Quote:
wwk3 wrote: View Post
Hello,
I have a Samsung HCM5525W, I replaced both Ic's, and when I fired it up I cannot adjust red, and it is bowed along the top and sides. I check and found that I had two burnt resistors, the rz144 and rz145. I replaced those with 2 3.9 ohm 2 watt resistor. When I turned the set back on the red is still not adjustable. When I was removing the IC's i did knick the board a bit, but I bridged the gap I created with a bit of solder. Any advice on what could be causing this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!!

-Warren
Hello Warren. I just fixed the convergence on an HCM5525W a few months ago. You need to find the two fuses near the convergence chips. They are solid green in color, and look exactly like resistors, but without the color bands on them. They're both soldered on the board, so you'll have to remove the board from the set. One, or both have failed. These are identified on the under-side of the board as a sine-wave. You can use your ohm meter directly across, and see if you have continuity or not. Their values are printed on them in really fine print. I forget the value myself. They cost a little over a buck each.

Also, I had to replace 6 resistors. If there is any discoloration on the PCB underneath the resistors, you should replace them. Its good practice.

Let me know if you need any more guidance. Good luck!
post #148 of 305 Old 06-29-08, 02:00 PM
Mike

I have a Mits 46809 and I was seeing the red ghosting to the right. I read and reread this site and decided to open up the TV and take a look-see. After unplugging the TV and verifying that it wouldn't power on, I took the back off the set and surveyed the layout. I then removed the speaker cover from the front of the set (pulling on the bottom of the cover, gently pop the corners loose and then middle to release the cover) and found the access panel. I opened it and surveyed some more. The number of tiny wires was very intimidating. But after rereading the entire thread, I decided to give the repair a shot.

Starting from the back of the set I was able to immediately find the largest heatsink located in the middle of the TV. I removed the 3 screws along the back side of the black frame. I wasn't able to get the assembly to move until I went around front and found the two black tabs on the front of the frame. Once the tabs were released the entire assembly was able to slide out the back. Wires prevented me from getting it far enough out to look underneath. I was able to tip it up and look but there was no way I was going to be able to solder upside down. I then decided to unplug each of the wires on the left side of the assembly. This allowed me to slide the frame out and flip it over. I was able to position the TV so that I could rest the right side of the assembly (the side with wires still connected) on the back of the TV and the left side of the assembly on my fireplace hearth. This gave me a perfectly level place to solder.

Early Saturday morning I went to Radio Shack to buy the necessary tools and solder. I bought the 25W pencil soldering iron, the recommended desoldering iron with the red bulb, the thinnest 62/36 solder, desolder braid (just in case I made a mess) and the helping hands w/magnifier. The total bill was $48.50.

To start the repair I used the magnifier to look closely at the existing solder points and determined that an end pin was discolored. I decided to start with that one. Two others looked like they were starting to form rings but they looked ok. I plugged in the desoldering iron and after it heated cleaned the solder from the pin. This tool made it a breeze. Now time to solder. After the iron warmed up I touched the solder to the tip to "tin" it. I then touched the iron to the pin and board, waited a couple of seconds, and touched the solder to the base of the pin. There was a bunch of smoke. I got scared and pulled the solder away too quickly. I only covered half of the pin. So, I warmed the pin and solder again, added more solder and got the rest of the pin. I briefly contemplated doing the rest of the pins while I had the TV apart but decided not to attempt it. I'll probably regret not doing this later.

I wanted to test to see if the problem was fixed so I put the board back into the TV, reconnected all the wires, put all wires back into their tie downs, and plugged it in. I waited for smoke and didn't find any. I then reluctantly powered on the TV and again, no smoke. The ultimate test, I went to the convergence menu and found a perfect white plus sign. UNBELIEVABLE, IT WORKS!!! Just for good measure, I decided to reset the convergence to factory settings. I then reconnected all the TV inputs and watched my Tivo'ed World Poker Tour episode. The picture was perfect.

If I can do this repair anyone can. I am a bit of a do-it-yourselfer but by no means a professional handyman. I have replaced a motherboard in a computer but I have never soldered before. The instructions here on this site were enough to get me through the entire repair. If you take your time, you can do it too. If you need tools I have a soldering iron and desoldering iron that were only plugged in once. I also have a spool of solder that is only missing about a quarter inch. I'll sell all three for $20 plus shipping.

Thank you lcaillo! I can't thank you enough for this thread. You saved me $400!!! (that I promptly deposited in Atlantic City)

Sincerely,
Mike

Last edited by house of payne; 06-29-08 at 02:08 PM. Reason: clarity
post #149 of 305 Old 06-29-08, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Next time, give a little to a more deserving charity.

post #150 of 305 Old 07-02-08, 02:40 PM

Hi All,

A while back I posted to this thread asking for help fixing my projection TV. A pioneer that I don't have the number in front of me right now.

A BIG THANKS to all!

My 13 year old son and I replaced the IC chips with Sanyo parts and the puppy looks great!

The original problem was the base green grid was wavy on the left. The local shop thought that the IC fix wouldn't do it. After much time with you all, the set is now back.

MANY THANKS,

Richard
Closed Thread