CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #11 of 305 Old 10-25-07, 07:35 PM
Shackster
Gil

Re: Repair Cost

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your very informative narritave on convergence problems with RPTV's as well as source material and options for repair.

I am experiencing the red & blue convergence problems (green is perfect) you described with my Mitsubishi WT-42311. In looking for replacement IC's STK392-110, I have serched this site's suppliers for your recommended replacement, STK394-160, but have not been able to find a source to buy them. Do you know where I can find a good quality STK394-160? I have found STK392-110, 150, AND 180 but not much luck with the STK394-160. They all should be a good match for my Mits CRT RPTV set right?

Thanks for your help,

gewiz44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 305 Old 10-25-07, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

You can get the STK394-160 in the Hitachi kits mentioned above, available through the Hitachi distributors such as Tritronics and Andrews.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #13 of 305 Old 11-01-07, 03:23 PM
cgpastirik
Inactive

Terrific Article Thanks

Last edited by cgpastirik; 11-02-07 at 05:13 PM.

post #14 of 305 Old 11-01-07, 03:52 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

lcaillo,

Thank you so much for your hard work on this as this information will prove to be very helpful to many of us who have CRT RPTVs
So far my Sony has worked flawlessly but I suspect it wont be forever.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #15 of 305 Old 11-02-07, 05:18 PM
Shackster
Gil

Re: The chips

Hi,

I fixed my Mitsubishi WT-42311 using the information supplied in this thread, thanks. I tried to get the STK394-160's but because of problems with ordering and time, I settled for the STK392-150 IC's. I bought the solder sucker from radio shack ($11.00) and it worked like a charm. It's the one that is heated and has a squeeze bulb attached. After removing the old IC's I used a small screw driver to scribe around the old IC's onto the heat sink. That gave me a close placement guide for the new IC's to line up with the solder points on the circuit board. Then I spread a thin layer of new thermal compound on the back of each new IC and positioned them on the heat sink. It still took 4 - 5 tries to thread the 36 leads through the appropriate holes in the circuit board. My heat sink has holes to anchor through the circuit board into the TV chasis. I used small bolts to hold the heat sink to the circuit board for soldering. I applied flux to the leads and terimals and carefully soldered with a 45watt iron. Afterwards, I used a tooth brush to carefully clean flux and residue from between the terminals and checked with a magnifing glass to be sure nothing was bridging between any of the termanals. I then removed the bolts and carefully reinstalled the circuit board double and triple checking connections. I held my breath and turned on the power and it came on close to converged. After warming up I converged the set for both cable and component imputs and I noticed how hot the IC's were so I got a computer chip fan and attached it where it would blow on the chips and heat sink just to be safe. I used a cheap plug in transformer for it's power supply (12VDC) but I am thinking I could tap off of a transformer in the power supply of the TV for the fan (with a fuse in line) since it only draws .07 amps. It has a great picture and I am a happy camper.

Thanks again
post #16 of 305 Old 11-02-07, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

While the 12 volt supply might be able to handle the extra load, for safety reasons I would recommend not trying it. You also may get some noise feeding back into the video or audio circuits from the fan. Just keep using the wall wart.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #17 of 305 Old 11-05-07, 03:55 PM
Trailerboy
Inactive

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to write this lengthy post. I have been doing research on fixing a Hitachi 43UWX10B with a suspected convergence problem. I have quickly examined the board and don't see any obvious cooked resistors, but i will test them when the new chips come hopefully at the end of this week. I did extensive reading and found that Hitachi replaced the STK392-110's with the aforementioned 394-160's, which i have ordered. I bought them here if it's any help to people, http://bestbuy.partsearch.com/Part/H...01341/New.aspx, i also bought tools from www.electronix.com. i don't know much about either site, but Bestbuy seems reputable, and the only reason i went with Electronix is because it came up first with Google and had everything in a pretty good layout. Hopefully they were good decisions, i'll keep you posted on my progress and thank the Home Theater Shack and it's mods for excellent, informational, forums.
post #18 of 305 Old 11-05-07, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Thank you for the kind words. The parts from Best Buy appear to be originals, but the price is kind of high. I buy them in the Hitachi kit for a lower price. Electronix is a no go for semiconductors. For tools, etc, they are ok. The semiconductors that they sell are often cheap copies and not original Sanyo parts.

post #19 of 305 Old 11-08-07, 12:47 PM
Trailerboy
Inactive

OK, all my parts and tools will be here tomorrow in time for the weekend. My last question is if anyone knows the resistors that typically go bad when the IC's cook. I see they're all marked on the board, but didn't know if someone could narrow down the possibilities for me, as I will probably test some of them to see if any may be bad. Again, thanks for all the help.
post #20 of 305 Old 11-08-07, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Look in the Resistors post above. More spcific tips would require some extra research or studying the schematic of your particular circuit.

Closed Thread