CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 305 Old 11-28-07, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Looks like a convergence issue to me.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 305 Old 11-28-07, 11:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

Either a pincushion amp or the convergence board is defective. Probably will require a service call. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:
post #33 of 305 Old 11-28-07, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

All pincushion correction in these sets is done via the convergence generator and convergence output amps. One channel (blue vertical) of one of the ICs is likely bad, with perhaps a resistor or two. Read the posts ar the top of the thread for more info.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #34 of 305 Old 11-28-07, 03:29 PM
bdrew
Inactive

Thanks for your reply! Another question, if I order the Hitachi kit, will the resistor values be the same as what is in the board?....this is a Panasonic model PT51HX41E, chassis #AP820.....which kit should I order?
Thanks

Last edited by bdrew; 11-28-07 at 03:39 PM.
post #35 of 305 Old 11-28-07, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

No, they will not be the same. Each set has a unique circuit even if the chips are the same. If you just want the chips get the one that you can find cheapest.

post #36 of 305 Old 11-28-07, 09:15 PM
martaroony
Inactive

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
While the 12 volt supply might be able to handle the extra load, for safety reasons I would recommend not trying it. You also may get some noise feeding back into the video or audio circuits from the fan. Just keep using the wall wart.
Just wanted to say thanks lcaillo, for all your time to put this thread together , I was very nearly caught up in the extorsion that my local repair guy (Gold Coast, Australia) was about to inflict on me.

He would not even look at the set unless I let him pick it up, and that was $110 ,whilst the repair would start at $300 on top of that. He had no phone credit to return my calls , and I dont think I would have put my dog in his van , let alone my 134cm.

So feeling helpless, and after sneakily finding out what and where the convergence board was, I came up with the STK392-120 chip number , entered it in the google search , and well here we are.

Cut a long story short, In australia I cant buy these IC's any cheaper than $130 each+ freight, so after buying them online from "Electronic Repair Kits" in Canada (Got 2 Pairs ,1 Pair For later) They arrived in 4 days and cost $5 air freight, which was cheaper than the freight in my own country. Also the IC's cost me $15 each as opposed to $130 each over here.

So after following clear instuctions, that I found on the net.

http://home.earthlink.net/~oleg.fili...ergenceFix.htm

And then proudly turning the TV on, in front of the "astonished" Wife and Kids , Im glad to say if I wasent a legend in their eyes before ,I certainly am Now ! (thanks to you)

So one question before I wind it up?

I have noticed the 2 big heat sinks on my IC board, Getting very hot.

( by the way my TV is an LG PT53A83T ), ,

So much so that I can only hold my hand on them for a matter of seconds before getting to hot to touch.
This cant be good , and after reading the thread and any other thread I can find on this , Was wondering is this normal ?

I noticed one Gentleman in this thread putting a PC chip fan , on his heatsinks which seems like a great idea , however wouldn't he have to keep turning the tranformer on and off with the TV, Or can you get them that only turn on with the sencing of heat ??????

Any advise is appreciated, and once again thankyou for your great thread.

Kind Regards Marty.
post #37 of 305 Old 11-28-07, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

These ICs run hot, but some sets hotter than others. Excessive dc ofset or excessive correction at the edges of the range of the chips can make them run hotter. I don't have a problem with fans, as long as they are mounted externally and do not use any of the internal power supplies in the set. I would start by verifying the setup is consistent with that in the service literature for your set and that there is no more than a couple hundred millivolts of dc on the inputs to each channel of the output ICs.

post #38 of 305 Old 11-28-07, 09:46 PM
martaroony
Inactive

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
These ICs run hot, but some sets hotter than others. Excessive dc ofset or excessive correction at the edges of the range of the chips can make them run hotter. I don't have a problem with fans, as long as they are mounted externally and do not use any of the internal power supplies in the set. I would start by verifying the setup is consistent with that in the service literature for your set and that there is no more than a couple hundred millivolts of dc on the inputs to each channel of the output ICs.
HHmmmmm, thanks lcaillo, soldering in the New IC's may have elevated me to Legend status with the family, but Im out of my depth well and truely now.
Any Ideas on how I would start to verifying what you speak of.

Regards Marty
post #39 of 305 Old 11-29-07, 12:34 PM
bdrew
Inactive

Icaillo,
Thanks, I'll order individual STKs. Where is a good source to order a schematic? I'd like to know what resistor locations to check and have an idea what resistance to expect. Is it a good idea to relace the caps as well?
Thanks again!

Brad
post #40 of 305 Old 11-29-07, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Quote:
martaroony wrote: View Post
HHmmmmm, thanks lcaillo, soldering in the New IC's may have elevated me to Legend status with the family, but Im out of my depth well and truely now.
Any Ideas on how I would start to verifying what you speak of.

Regards Marty
I am happy to provide general advice or obvious symptom repair info, but cannot provide step by step troubleshooting on specific sets, nor start a tutorial on service torubleshooting. If the info that I have provided is not sufficient, I strongly suggest that you get a professional involved.

Closed Thread