CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 305 Old 01-05-08, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Changing the ICs AND any open resistors AND adjusting the convergence should solve the problem.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 305 Old 01-13-08, 02:49 PM
nik
Inactive

Thank you very much Icaillo for an informative thread about RPTV Convergence. I have a Samsung HLC473WBX/XAC and its on its second convergence episode. The first time I paid cash to the tech where I placed the sevice call to, $375. After reading about this problem I think the manufacturers should have sent all of us to a course before purchasing a RPTV.lol.
I would like to ask you about a Diod/Resistor on the back of the board. It looks like its encased in clear material. I tried to check it with DMM, infinite on Ohms and no effect on Diod setting.
Thanks again,
nik
post #63 of 305 Old 01-13-08, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

What do you want to ask? Do you have a location number? Why is this part of interest? I am not sure I know the answer but I would have to have more info before I can respond.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #64 of 305 Old 01-16-08, 09:50 PM
botcher
Inactive

Good Evening;

I have a Sony KP-53XBR45 set that has the following issue: The top left and bottom right corners are distorted, whereas the blue and red look wavey. For example, if I turn off my source equipment, and the set displays "VIDEO 1" in the top left corner, the letters appear nice and straight in green, but a red and blue copy of the letters start out about 4-5" lower at the "V", but by the time you get to the "1", the three colors are almost aligned.

Am I correct to assume this is a convergence issue? When I select the convergence aligmnent in the user menus, I can adjust red or blue down and left / right, but not above the center mark.

I do component level repairs for a living on two way and RF infrastructure, but never really played with TVs. I can troubleshoot to componenet level, and can read schematics and understand circuit designs, but its always nice to know of common issues to speed the process. I have a fully equipped shop (tools, soldering/desoldering stations, scopes, etc), so hopefully I can get the "D" board out and down to my workshop to perform a neat job replacing the two STK392-010s. I wish I read your posts earlier about upgrading to newer (better rated) parts, but at least I think I got original Sanyo parts. Speaking of which, is there any way to tell an original from a knockoff? The ones I have here have the STK # in white, with a date code in the upper left. My experience with most parts is that originals have the mfg's logo or similar on it. Not the case with STKs?

While I'm on a roll with the keyboard - has anyone repaired a Sony KP-53XBR45 or similar for the same symptoms?

Thanks
Botcher.
post #65 of 305 Old 01-16-08, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Replace the ICs, check the fuses and resistors, and make sure the heat sinking is done properly and you should be fine. The best way to be sure that you have original parts is to buy them from one of the suppliers that I listed.

post #66 of 305 Old 01-17-08, 03:59 PM
botcher
Inactive

I removed the D board and replaced the STK392-010s this afternoon. I had some difficulty with the heat sink grease compound, as the original compound turned into a glue-like substance. I had to carefully pry off the old STKs with a fine blade, then carefully use a razor blade to remove the old material. I then carefully cleaned the heat sink, and installed the new STKs with new compound. More time messing with the compound then anything else!

I guess 12 years of heat and dryness did in the plastic clips that held the D board in place, because the minute I touched them, they all cracked off. Fortunately the screws hold it in place securely enough.

I then noticed how much dust settled on the three color gun lenses. I cleaned them off and could see clear glass again. I then fired up the set, and the convergence is fine The picure looks brighter and better than it has in years

Now I have another few minor issues I'd like to tackle while I'm at it.

First, the focus looks like it has been a little out for some time. From what I read in the 53XBR45 service manual, the only thing I see for focus is 3 adjustments on the SCREEN/FOCUS block. My only past experience has been the single adjusment focus on older single CRT tv sets. How do I go about re-focusing this RPTV?

Another is that the upper left corner of the screen has always slanted down a little. For example, when the Directv channel info banner, or a sports score banner is displayed, it looks un-level. The right hand side looks fine, but the left side slants down a few degrees. However, the bottom edge of the screen looks perfectly level, so it is ok as far as I can tell. Just the top edge. The left/right sides also look straight when I display an HD channel (the set is only SD, but as a test, when I tune a DTV HD channel, the box is showing the side bars, and they look straight as can be). I'd like to try and adjust it back. Any idea what adjustment(s) would do that?

Finally, the built in NTSC tuner. When the set is turned on, the tuner will not tune any channels, and it looks like it is trying to AFC a channel, but never quite gets to a point of actually displaying anything other than black noise, and no detection of audio, just a buzzing like static noise. Sometimes, but not always, after a few hours of being on, the set will tune channels just fine. I would equate it to a VCO unlock condition on a PLL circuit (from my two-way radio experience). I mostly use Video in sources, so its not the end of the world. Any ideas where to start?

Thanks
Botcher

Last edited by botcher; 01-17-08 at 04:09 PM.
post #67 of 305 Old 01-17-08, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Adjust the R,G&B focus controls for the best focus overall. Clean the mirror as well as the lenses. The geometry on these sets was not perfect and can be a challenge to get right in one corner without trading off something else. If you are not skilled in this area I would not mess with it. The tuning problem is likely bad solder connections in the IF block or the Tuner, probably the former.

post #68 of 305 Old 01-25-08, 02:30 PM

I have an SD-643HD5 Pioneer 64" rear projection TV that has lost the green grid geometry a bit in all modes. I've ordered the IC's and will install them assuming there are the likely fix. I feel I'm running a bit on ignorance tho. Once they are installed, will the green geometry go back to normal? If not, where does one suggest I get a service manual from? I'd like one that's not a scanned version with unreadable tables. Thanks,
post #69 of 305 Old 01-25-08, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

The only place to be sure that you are getting the original manual is Pioneer. Their manuals are typically ridiculously expensive, however. That unit likely had an .pdf version of the manual and you can probably find an adequate copy on the web somewhere for considerably less.

If you are replacing a defective IC, you should be in the ballpark but need some convergence adjustment in all modes.

post #70 of 305 Old 01-29-08, 10:14 AM

I found the Manual on Manualparadise.com in PDF format and was provided this link on another forum: http://home.earthlink.net/~oleg.fili...ergenceFix.htm

I also received the IC's and will attempt the repair myself. I'll let you know how it goes.
Closed Thread