CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 07:55 PM
Fast Hound
Inactive

Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Again, thanks. Upon checking the resistors I immediately found two of the six appear bad, #3155 & 3156. They are located right next to each other. They are discolored (brownish) and swollen in the middle. They would not even read on my ohm meter when the others were consistently the same.

What are the chances of this being the cause of the hour-glass picture?

Your explanation of the fuse location was greek to me, but I will do some research and find the location. Is there a recommended way of testing the fuse when I locate it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 08:14 PM
technoguy
Inactive

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
What kind of problem are you having adjusting the set? Do you have the documentation on the service menu? Do you understand how to align the convergence or are you just using the auto-convergence? The more information you include, the more likely you are to get a meaningful answer.

Please start a new thread with your individual problems.
Wow you're fast!
After the Stks got replaced I still have problems with the convergence and geometry on the set. A friend of mine told me that probably I have a blown fuse on G board(I'll check that tomorrow) but I still think I have something going on with voltage reg since I notice the red gun is upscale intermittent and wasn't doing that before.I can't do a auto convergence because it appear to have an empty memory,I did all factory reset on the svc menu (Thank God I bought the Svc manual and schematics) but still I don't know what else I can do.
post #83 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
Fast Hound wrote: View Post
Again, thanks. Upon checking the resistors I immediately found two of the six appear bad, #3155 & 3156. They are located right next to each other. They are discolored (brownish) and swollen in the middle. They would not even read on my ohm meter when the others were consistently the same.

What are the chances of this being the cause of the hour-glass picture?

Your explanation of the fuse location was greek to me, but I will do some research and find the location. Is there a recommended way of testing the fuse when I locate it?
A fuse should read a short or very close to it. Really, if you need to be told this, your learning curve for this kind of repair is pretty steep and a Philips product is not one to be learning on. Be very careful! It may be time to get a professional to do this job.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #84 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Quote:
technoguy wrote: View Post
Wow you're fast!
After the Stks got replaced I still have problems with the convergence and geometry on the set. A friend of mine told me that probably I have a blown fuse on G board(I'll check that tomorrow) but I still think I have something going on with voltage reg since I notice the red gun is upscale intermittent and wasn't doing that before.I can't do a auto convergence because it appear to have an empty memory,I did all factory reset on the svc menu (Thank God I bought the Svc manual and schematics) but still I don't know what else I can do.

I do not understand "upscale intermittent."

One should NEVER do a convergence reset without a very good reason. You will find it very difficult to get it right again, and you are likely to overcorrect in some areas and drive the ICs very hard. Hopefully you did not save the reset condition and you may recover the data.

Please guys, start a new thread for your individual problems. It will be veryconfusing to ever go back and sort out what set is being discussed here if someone else wants to research something. You MUST read the posts at the top of the thread and you MUST be specific in your requests for help. A single thread for each problem keeps the forum much more clear.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #85 of 305 Old 02-18-08, 09:15 PM
kaindia_1
Inactive

Hello again lcaillo. I used the information in this thread to repair my Mitsubishi with success. I attempted the repair on my friend's Samsung with no luck. I replaced both the STKs and 4 resistors. Two resistors had burnt out the trace on the PCB. When I replaced the resistors, the trace tested good to the pin on the STK. Put everything together, and the convergence still could not be adjusted. The tv is a Samsung HCM5525W.

The convergence on this set is adjustable for all three colors. The green horizontal is the only one that responds. Verticle is a no go. The Blue and Red does not respond at all in either direction, up or down. I don't know what to do. Could you advise?

I have attached a picture as a reference.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs-img_3989_cropped2.jpg  

post #86 of 305 Old 02-19-08, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Further repair would take some troubleshooting...at this point I would be verifying the info that you gave above and likely getting out my scope if it is correct. My guess is that you missed something in the repair, or perhaps you do not have complete info on how to adjust the convergence.

post #87 of 305 Old 02-19-08, 10:59 PM
kaindia_1
Inactive

I will re-examine the board this weekend. Thank you.
post #88 of 305 Old 02-20-08, 04:57 PM
franklin1232
Inactive

I bought the repair kit from Tritronics for my Hitachi 53FDX01B. Originally my Blue was not a straight line in the convergence menu and the replacement parts removed the curve however the Blue Horizontal is now a diaginol line moving at a downward angle from left to right. The covergence screen does not allow me to straiten the line just move it up or down. Are there addtional options I can try to fix my problem.

I can't even find a certified Hitachi tech with in 25 miles of my house that makes house calls. I'm not dragging this thing to a shop.

Peter
post #89 of 305 Old 02-20-08, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

What do you mean that the convergence screen does not allow you to stratighten it? What procedure are you using?

post #90 of 305 Old 02-24-08, 03:06 PM
ricko
Inactive

Re: The chips

I have an RCA R52WH74 where the convergence has gone bad when then set was powered on.
I went to the menu setup page and the "convergence" option is no longer there. I have read that the problem could be a bad fuse(little brown block looking thing) somewhere. Or the problem could be the convergence IC STK392-040. On my model, I am not sure where these components (the fuse or ICs) actually are located...Can someone help me with the location?
Thanks
Rick
Closed Thread