The search for a craft smart metallic silver substitute for use in the UK and Europe. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 55 Old 04-20-09, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

Re: The search for a craft smart metallic silver substitute for use in the UK and Europe.

as the palmers paint is not really a substitute for CSMS i think i will post any further research on it in a new thread.

i'm running out of avenues to test in finding the substitute.
the last one my list to test is Anitas silver which i linked to in the first post. i will have this ordered later today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 Old 07-28-09, 05:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: The search for a craft smart metallic silver substitute for use in the UK and Europe.

It's time to update this thread.

The Palmer silver is indeed an interesting metallic paint; from the way it darkens a mix there might even be some aluminum in it. I'll start checking this out after I find my polarizing filters... they gotta be around here somewhere... ; but it won't do to make C&S.

This is the appropriate thread for this info so I'll put it here instead of the main C&S thread in the Screens forum. The paint that is showing the most potential as a C&S substitute is Liquitex BASICS VALUE Silver. I have done small samples of it mixed in Valspar Ultra Premium Enamel white paint (called VUPE for short) and the next step is to make an actual test panel out of it.

Liquitex BASICS VALUE Silver (called LBVS for short) isn't a direct replacement for Craft Smart Metallic Silver since they are two very different paints. For example, to get close to a N9 mix the ratio of base paint to silver must go up to 1:1 (half base and half silver); and it is still a bit lighter than C&S. At this concentration I'm also a bit concerned about hot-spotting, but it could be okay. Also, I was surprised to find that the above mix is very close to meeting our exacting neutrality specifications without any color-correction at all; as such, it should work well mixed in Behr UPW in base #1850 and perhaps other Ultra White paints. A very great plus is that the Liquitex brand is available just about world-wide.
post #13 of 55 Old 07-28-09, 11:58 PM

WOW great info, Thank a lot.

I will try it this week.
Thank again.

post #14 of 55 Old 07-29-09, 08:41 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
michelspascie wrote: View Post
WOW great info, Thank a lot.

I will try it this week.
Thank again.
You are welcome Mike, but I need to stress that this is still a mix in development and it is not a recommended mix. It has not been proven to work yet.
post #15 of 55 Old 07-29-09, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Liquitex BASICS VALUE Silver (called LBVS for short) isn't a direct replacement for Craft Smart Metallic Silver since they are two very different paints. For example, to get close to a N9 mix the ratio of base paint to silver must go up to 1:1 (half base and half silver); and it is still a bit lighter than C&S. At this concentration I'm also a bit concerned about hot-spotting, but it could be okay. Also, I was surprised to find that the above mix is very close to meeting our exacting neutrality specifications without any color-correction at all; as such, it should work well mixed in Behr UPW in base #1850 and perhaps other Ultra White paints. A very great plus is that the Liquitex brand is available just about world-wide.
slap me on the wrist! i still have not ordered the LBVS.
i will sort it tomorrow...
post #16 of 55 Old 07-29-09, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
You are welcome Mike, but I need to stress that this is still a mix in development and it is not a recommended mix. It has not been proven to work yet.
I purchased 3 X 118ml. of "Liquitex Basics acrylic color SILVER" and one small can of "Behr UPW 1850" today and painted 2 coats of Kizt2. I will apply the 1:1 mix tomorrow. Will see tomorrow???
post #17 of 55 Old 07-30-09, 12:51 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Wow, I didn't think anyone would start to mix this so soon!

I know I sound like a broken record, but I feel I still need to stress that any and all mixes using LBVS are experimental and good results can't be guaranteed.

Since there is so much interest in this, I will say that the 1:1 (1 part white base:1 part LBVS) mix I tested came within the skin of it's teeth of being neutral and is only a small fraction less neutral than the original C&S.

The test mix of 2:1 (2 parts white paint:1 part LBVS) was neutral and would be considered a true white screen at N9.4, all this while still containing 33.333% silver mica-based paint.

The 4 fl.oz. tube of LBVS will look like this: (the photo is of 'Raw Umber', not 'Silver')

If you are planning on making enough mix to paint a full-size screen it might be cheaper to by it in larger containers such as the 8 fl.oz. jar:

Being an artist paint, Liquitex can be quite expensive if you must pay retail for it, I would recommend looking for discount sources for it. In the U.S. Dick Blick in one source that saves you around 50% over retail. http://www.dickblick.com/products/li...ics-8-oz-jars/

Good Luck to those experimenting along with us!
post #18 of 55 Old 07-30-09, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

harp - while i have been looking at ordering the liquitex silver and i have come across a matte version.
did you get any testing done of that one?

http://www.misterart.com/g7793/Liqui...lic-Colors.htm
http://www.greatart.co.uk/LIQUITEXBA...lic-paints.htm
i'll pick some of that up aswell if it has yet to be tested.
post #19 of 55 Old 07-30-09, 01:25 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
custard wrote: View Post
harp - while i have been looking at ordering the liquitex silver and i have come across a matte version.
did you get any testing done of that one?

i'll pick some of that up aswell if it has yet to be tested.
I did get some, but have yet to try it in a mix. I don't see that much difference between it and the regular BASICS silver undiluted.

The thing with the BASICS MATT paints is that they are only available in the 75 ml and 200 ml tubes, and they cost more than the regular BASICS paints.

I'll give a breakdown of the costs involved for making a screen mix; for ease in figuring I'll assume a user is going to use the 1:1 ratio to get a mix about N9, this would make 32 fl.oz. of mix which is enough to paint a 103 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. Add whatever a pint of white paint would cost you to the figures below.

For a 1:1 mix using 16 fl.oz. of base one would have to add 16 fl.oz. of LBVS.
16 fl.oz. = 2 8 fl.oz. jars of LBVS @ $9.80 each retail = $19.60 ($9.58 from dickblick)

Using the MATT silver it would be like this:
16 fl.oz. = 4 4 fl.oz. (200 ml) tubes MATT silver @ $8.77 each retail = $$35.08 ($17.96 from dickblick)

On top of the additional cost of the MATT silver, it only comes in the squeeze tubes which look to be difficult to get all the paint out of. The jars look to be straight-sided so it should be simple to get all the paint out of them.

Something I forgot to mention before is that the LBVS, while considered a "soft body" paint, is still thicker than regular latex house paint and a 1:1 mix of this with white latex paint should be thinned with water before rolling or spraying. I found that I had to thin the mix with 50% water to spray well through my HVLP gun. I would guess that it should be diluted with about 20% water to roll.
post #20 of 55 Old 07-30-09, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

i was hoping that the matt version had less sheen, but as that does not seem to be the case i wont bother picking any up.