The search for a craft smart metallic silver substitute for use in the UK and Europe. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 55 Old 04-15-09, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

The search for a craft smart metallic silver substitute for use in the UK and Europe.

last week i tested ardenbrite water based silver paint that is available in the UK.
the initial results were promising in that it was providing a mix which was close to Harpmaker's C&S in lightness.
after painting a test panel i found that i could sometimes detect the odd bright fleck in white scenes from 2 metres away so i have stopped any further testing with this for now.

my thoughts have now turned to other sources and there are two which i hope to order very soon.

http://www.craftsuperstore.co.uk/Art...056/p3404.aspx - out of stock at the moment

http://www.millers-art.co.uk/acatalo...Paint_525.html - metallic silver is available in the second drop down list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 04-17-09, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

Re: The search for a craft smart metallic silver substitute for use in the UK and Europe.

i received 3 silver paints today:

from left to right

inscribe 59ml acrylic silver
reeves acrylic silver 75ml
reeves redimix 500ml silver
ardenbrite silver - already tested

interestingly the inscribe silver paint is actually made by Palmer paints in US.
post #3 of 55 Old 04-18-09, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

Re: The search for a craft smart metallic silver substitute for use in the UK and Europe.

i carried out some small tests today.

the reeves acrylic paint when mixed with white paint in a 1:4 ratio stays fairly light but does not show much reflective particles on the surface.

the reeves reidimix i have not tested yet.

the inscribe palmers paint is the one that has me perked up.
it seeems to have a very high concentration of reflective particles.

at first i decided to test 1:2, 1:3 and 1:4 with white paint.
after the first mix of 1:4 i have realised that the palmer silver was powerful in that it darkened the mix quite considerably - something along the lines of N5! i can also see alot of reflective particles.

after graduallly increasing the ratio of white to try and lighten the mixture up i have arrived at 20 parts white to 1 part silver - 20:1. i have not taken any measurements yet but it seems it is about N8.5 and to my surprise i can still see a fair amount of reflective particles.

i'll take some spectro measurements tomorrow aswell as trying some even lower concentrations of palmers silver.

post #4 of 55 Old 04-18-09, 12:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

That Inscribe silver sounds very interesting Custy. I found a source for it on-line here in the U.S. under the name Palmer Acrylic.

Addendum:

Searching for "Palmer prism" lead me to Dick Blick!
post #5 of 55 Old 04-18-09, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

well the place that i bought it from advertised it as inscribe silver:
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product_372360015.htm
but the bottle actually says palmer prism on it as you can see in the photo. harp - you should be able to pick up the exact bottle.

as we have found that reflective particles like to sink in thick samples i have made sure to make two samples. one painted thinly to check for reflective particles and one thicker sample to spectro when it has cured abit.
post #6 of 55 Old 04-18-09, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

looks like the inscribe paint is just a rebranded product made originally by palmers.

post #7 of 55 Old 04-19-09, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

i mixed up the palmers silver with white paint (dulux lumitec absolute white) in 1:30 ratio!!

here is a zoomed flash image of the sample on the left and BW 4:1 on the right

as you can see there are not as much reflective particles in comparison to BW.

the mix will also need some color correction.
the sample above was color corrected somewhat to the neutral fringe at about N8.7.

i'm thinking that after the reflective particles are increased (revert to 20:1) and color correction is carried out we might just touch N8.5.

i spectroed the 4:1 sample from yesterday and it is above N7 - my eyelumenescope was deceiving me
post #8 of 55 Old 04-19-09, 10:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

While the Palmer (or Inscribe) silver looks like it has potential as a paint additive for a DIY screen, it seems clear that it isn't a direct replacement for CSMS to make C&S with existing formulae; it darkens too much, is too reflective in C&S ratios and needs color-correction for a neutral color.

Good find though!
post #9 of 55 Old 04-19-09, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

custy

too true Harp! that CSMS is truly a unique find. i'll keep looking.

the palmers paint may still be useful in that we could still acheive N8.5. we only have N7.5 in the UK at the moment.

would you mind picking some up from dick blick?
post #10 of 55 Old 04-19-09, 05:17 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
custard wrote: View Post
too true Harp! that CSMS is truly a unique find. i'll keep looking.
I had no idea how unique it was.

Quote:
the palmers paint may still be useful in that we could still acheive N8.5. we only have N7.5 in the UK at the moment.

would you mind picking some up from dick blick?
No problem, it's on the list.