HTS-X2 - an experimental N8 reflective screen mix - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 92 Old 12-13-09, 12:40 PM
Shackster
koyalo

Re: HTS-X2 - an experimental N8 reflective screen mix

Harpmaker - Thank you for your creative formula!

1canuck2 - Thank you for all hard work to prepare a screen using this new mix.

Question to Harpmaker - Do you have any plan for N9 or N8.5 mix? Also I would like to use Valsper paint...do you mind giving your HTS-X2(N8) formula for Valsper paint Or should I just bring your Behr formula and Lowes staff should be able to match the colors?

I am new member to this forum and very much inspired by your HTS-X2(N8) formula, its result and its simplicity. I would like to prepare DIY screen based on your formula but looking for N9 or N8.5 mix. My PJ is Mitsubishi HC3800 and I am not sure if N8 is too dark for it or not. My PJ is in basement and I am covering all my window to block all ambient light. Right now I am projecting on white wall but wanted to try out something different and better using your formula.

Appreciate your time and efforts. Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks again!

K.

Last edited by koyalo; 12-13-09 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 Old 12-13-09, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
koyalo wrote: View Post
Question to Harpmaker - Do you have any plan for N9 or N8.5 mix? Also I would like to use Valsper paint...do you mind giving your HTS-X2(N8) formula for Valsper paint Or should I just bring your Behr formula and Lowes staff should be able to match the colors?
First off, koyalo, welcome to the forum!

Yes, the mix series that HTS-X2 is a part of (to be called Elektra™) will run from N8.5 down to perhaps N7 (the bottom end is yet to be determined). It will be based on simply adding differing amounts of N6 gray paint to Cream&Sugar™, the more N6 paint added the darker the mix will be.

If you want a reflective N9 screen mix, this is already available in Cream&Sugar™. Check out it's thread here.

The amount of N6 paint to add to C&S™ to get Elektra™ N8.5 has yet to be determined, but it will be something close to only 1 or 1.5 fl. oz. per 48 fl. oz. of C&S™.

Please keep in mind that this thread is in the Developers Forum for a reason - the mixes are still in development.

I haven't had the N6 paint matched in Valspar paint yet, but I understand that Lowe's should have no trouble making it using the Behr tint formula, it all depends on the person behind the paint counter at Lowe's.

Quote:
I am new member to this forum and very much inspired by your HTS-X2(N8) formula, its result and its simplicity. I would like to prepare DIY screen based on your formula but looking for N9 or N8.5 mix. My PJ is Mitsubishi HC3800 and I am not sure if N8 is too dark for it or not. My PJ is in basement and I am covering all my window to block all ambient light. Right now I am projecting on white wall but wanted to try out something different and better using your formula.
Are all of your walls in the projection room painted white? How large is your screen?
Your PJ is a bright one so more likely than not a N8 screen would work for you depending on how large your screen is.

Quote:
Appreciate your time and efforts. Keep up the good work!!!
And we appreciate your taking the time to inquire into our screen mixes.
post #33 of 92 Old 12-13-09, 09:27 PM
Shackster
koyalo

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Are all of your walls in the projection room painted white? How large is your screen?
Your PJ is a bright one so more likely than not a N8 screen would work for you depending on how large your screen is.
Yes all walls are white right now including ceiling. I am first planning to prepare screen then later paint walls with dark color. I may left ceiling white for now.

I am projecting from approx. 15 ft and my screen size is 110 inch 16:9.

Which gray mix do you suggest for me? N8 or N8.5 or N9?

Appreciate your reply and suggestion! I will check out other links suggested by you as well.

-K

post #34 of 92 Old 12-13-09, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Yes all walls are white right now including ceiling. I am first planning to prepare screen then later paint walls with dark color. I may left ceiling white for now.

I am projecting from approx. 15 ft and my screen size is 110 inch 16:9.

Which gray mix do you suggest for me? N8 or N8.5 or N9?

Appreciate your reply and suggestion! I will check out other links suggested by you as well.

-K
With your PJ and screen size you are getting about 16 fL. of image brightness on your screen. This is enough to easily use a N8 screen even in eco mode. This is actually a bit more brightness than 1canuck2 has with his current setup, and he too went from a white screen to HTS-X2. He has been very satisfied with the white levels from the HTS-X2 screen while reaping the benefits of blacker blacks and richer colors from the gray screen. I would recommed a N8 screen.

I know this may seem like I am "straddling the fence", but some people just like a brighter image than others even at the cost of less image contrast. There is nothing wrong with this and if you fall in this group then a lighter N8.5 or N9 might be what you want, but I know I personally would prefer the N8.

Something I forgot to ask is how you will use your screen. Will you be mainly watching movies with all room lights out or do you watch a lot of sports with some room light on so people can safely move around without tripping? The less light in the room the lighter your screen can be, but if you need to have any other lights on a darker screen helps maintain image contrast.

I hope to get to a Lowe's store in the next several days so I might be able to get the tint formula for a N6 gray in Valspar. It will take longer to find exactly how much to add to C&S™ to make a N8.5 mix.
post #35 of 92 Old 12-14-09, 11:07 AM
Senior Shackster
1canuck2

My System

I went from a white Kilz2 screen (124" diag) to the N8 formula here and there were no negatives whatsoever from my perspective. Its not a super dark screen surface (its actually quite an attractive colour) and the image projected is plenty bright.

When I first started looking at DIY formulas, I was leaning towards an N8.5 or N9, partly out of fear that N8 would be too dark. I concluded that I was "wimping" out and should probably just stick with white if that was my fear.

If you do a calibration on your PJ after painting the screen, I am confident that you will be happy with the results at an N8 based on your PJ specs. I can honestly find no negative that I feel is a trade-off for the positive. My blacks are blacker and my whites still seem white (check out my Bolt screen shots). The colours are very rich (check out my Nemo screen shot). If you want to see more pics of my theatre, check out my PhotoBucket album. From page 3 there are shots of my colour scheme, you can see I have a white ceiling and reasonably light brown on the other walls, I just painted my screen wall a dark chocolate brown.

We also play Wii/Xbox with the wall sconces on but dimmed, and the image still looks excellent. Providing you have good ambient light control for daylight especially, I don't think you'll regret going N8. Some folks who went N8 later go N7... I am not a professional by any stretch, but my eye tells me I made the right decision.
post #36 of 92 Old 12-14-09, 11:18 AM
Shackster
koyalo

Quote:
Something I forgot to ask is how you will use your screen. Will you be mainly watching movies with all room lights out or do you watch a lot of sports with some room light on so people can safely move around without tripping? The less light in the room the lighter your screen can be, but if you need to have any other lights on a darker screen helps maintain image contrast.
I use my PJ most of for movie watching and some TV shows. No game playing as of now but I may buy XBOX soon. It's a basement room and only one small window which I have covered brown paper from a box. So it's completely dark even during day. I will need some light later on when I buy XBox to see remote buttons but not for now.

Quote:
I hope to get to a Lowe's store in the next several days so I might be able to get the tint formula for a N6 gray in Valspar. It will take longer to find exactly how much to add to C&Sô to make a N8.5 mix.
Really appreciate your efforts. I have seen 1canuck2's screen images and they are very impressive in contrasts, whites and colors. No doubt N8 would be a great choice for my needs.

Thanks, K
post #37 of 92 Old 12-14-09, 11:23 AM
Shackster
koyalo

Thumbs up Re: HTS-X2 - an experimental N8 reflective screen mix

Quote:
1canuck2 wrote: View Post
If you do a calibration on your PJ after painting the screen, I am confident that you will be happy with the results at an N8 based on your PJ specs. I can honestly find no negative that I feel is a trade-off for the positive. My blacks are blacker and my whites still seem white (check out my Bolt screen shots). The colours are very rich (check out my Nemo screen shot). If you want to see more pics of my theatre, check out my PhotoBucket album. From page 3 there are shots of my colour scheme, you can see I have a white ceiling and reasonably light brown on the other walls, I just painted my screen wall a dark chocolate brown.
I am going to paint my walls with dark colour too but not now in Canadian winter!!

There is no doubt about picture quality especially for movie watching from your screenshots. They are probably the best screenshots I have ever seen from someone's projector screen!!

A brilliant formula which produces awesome results!!!

I agree. Re-calibration is a must once we have new screen. How did you do your calibration? Did you use any special like "spears and munsil" disc?

-K

Last edited by koyalo; 12-14-09 at 11:32 AM.
post #38 of 92 Old 12-14-09, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
I use my PJ most of for movie watching and some TV shows. No game playing as of now but I may buy XBOX soon. It's a basement room and only one small window which I have covered brown paper from a box. So it's completely dark even during day. I will need some light later on when I buy XBox to see remote buttons but not for now.
It's best to plan for ambient lighting if there is ever a chance you will need to watch your screen under such conditions otherwise you will lose image contrast and color vibrancy when you have to turn some light on to safely move around the room or to see game controls.

Quote:
Really appreciate your efforts. I have seen 1canuck2's screen images and they are very impressive in contrasts, whites and colors. No doubt N8 would be a great choice for my needs.
I had my N6 sample color-matched at Lowe's today. I'll post the tint formula tomorrow after I check how neutral it is. On a bad note, the paint guy at Lowe's didn't have a clue how to convert the Behr tint formula for use with Valspar paints. They can match Behr paint colors by name, but apparently not by just the tint formula itself. Bummer.

Quote:
Thanks, K
No problem!
post #39 of 92 Old 12-14-09, 07:25 PM
Shackster
koyalo

Quote:
I had my N6 sample color-matched at Lowe's today. I'll post the tint formula tomorrow after I check how neutral it is. On a bad note, the paint guy at Lowe's didn't have a clue how to convert the Behr tint formula for use with Valspar paints. They can match Behr paint colors by name, but apparently not by just the tint formula itself. Bummer.
Really appreciate your efforts. Your dedication is flawless... I wonder where do you get your inspiration from?

Someone in another thread mentioned similar experience from Lowe's.

Thanks, K
post #40 of 92 Old 12-15-09, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Really appreciate your efforts. Your dedication is flawless... I wonder where do you get your inspiration from?
I'm just one of those people that find all this stuff extremely fascinating and also enjoy sharing what I find out about screen performance with others. I found kindred spirits in the other moderators here in the Screens forum.

As far as I know, we are the only forum that is approaching screen performance from a scientific aspect and actually measuring screen attributes to the same standards as the commercial screen companies do. There is so much misinformation out there on how screens work it's sad.

Quote:
Someone in another thread mentioned similar experience from Lowe's.
I must have missed that one or simply forgotten it. The guy I talked to at Lowe's actually is quite knowledgeable about paints so if he was stumped I doubt any Lowe's store could recreate a Behr color just from the tint formula, which actually makes sense since different paint companies use different tints to comprise their colors. I was hoping that since all the paint stores I am familiar with use the same brand of "color computer" hardware and software (X-rite) that they could translate from one brand's tint formula to another's... guess not.