HTS-X2 - an experimental N8 reflective screen mix - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 92 Old 12-15-09, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: HTS-X2 - an experimental N8 reflective screen mix

The sample of the Valspar match for a N6 gray cured enough so I could get a spectro reading and it isn't good. It is one of the few sample misreads I've gotten at Lowe's. I'll try again next time I get to a Lowe's. I hope to try the other Lowe's store that is "near" me (if you can call 35 miles away near - yeah, I live in the boonies), but it might not be in the near future due to the holidays coming up. There is a slim chance I might be able to do it tomorrow "if the creek don't rise".

This is a good example however of how one can't use their eyes to match colors accurately. Only the most discerning eye can see any color difference in the N6 sample and the Valspar match even when dry and side-by-side. When paint is still wet there is no way to accurately judge it's color to the tolerances we need for screens no matter how much "experience" you have. A good guess really isn't good enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 92 Old 12-15-09, 09:29 PM
Shackster
koyalo

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
The sample of the Valspar match for a N6 gray cured enough so I could get a spectro reading and it isn't good. It is one of the few sample misreads I've gotten at Lowe's. I'll try again next time I get to a Lowe's. I hope to try the other Lowe's store that is "near" me (if you can call 35 miles away near - yeah, I live in the boonies), but it might not be in the near future due to the holidays coming up. There is a slim chance I might be able to do it tomorrow "if the creek don't rise".

This is a good example however of how one can't use their eyes to match colors accurately. Only the most discerning eye can see any color difference in the N6 sample and the Valspar match even when dry and side-by-side. When paint is still wet there is no way to accurately judge it's color to the tolerances we need for screens no matter how much "experience" you have. A good guess really isn't good enough.
I think it would be better if I go with Behr as it was tested by you and 1canuck2 and results are solid. I will have to leave my affection for Valsper on side for my screen at least.

Enjoy your holidays and have fun with family!!

Happy Holidays!

-K
post #43 of 92 Old 12-15-09, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
koyalo wrote: View Post
I think it would be better if I go with Behr as it was tested by you and 1canuck2 and results are solid. I will have to leave my affection for Valsper on side for my screen at least.

Enjoy your holidays and have fun with family!!

Happy Holidays!

-K
Thanks K. but don't give up hope just yet. Check back tomorrow evening. I will be getting a Valspar formula for N6, it's just a matter of time.

As I just mentioned in another thread, the Behr #1850 paint that is specified for C&S™ #2 and #3 seems to be discontinued and the only cans left are the ones in inventory. Currently, the only interior latex enamel from Behr is their ULTRA paint (I think it's number is #1750), but I see no reason it shouldn't work for making C&S™ as well. I may get a quart of it tinted to make C&S™ #3 tomorrow too.

post #44 of 92 Old 12-15-09, 10:32 PM
Senior Shackster
1canuck2

My System

I'm a big Benjamin Moore fan (ulti-matte FTW), and the last time I used Behr for house painting I was not a fan, but this formula worked well for me with Behr as the base.

I went to buy the Behr the week after they'd pulled it from the shelf in my local HD. I had to drive to two different HD's to get the last remaining cans in the city... They have a replacement product that includes primer, but I don't know if Harp has had a look at them yet...
post #45 of 92 Old 12-16-09, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
1canuck2 wrote: View Post
I went to buy the Behr the week after they'd pulled it from the shelf in my local HD. I had to drive to two different HD's to get the last remaining cans in the city... They have a replacement product that includes primer, but I don't know if Harp has had a look at them yet...
Nope, not yet. Will get some today it the opportunity presents itself. I see no reason why the new Behr paint wouldn't work for our screen mixes since they don't depend on a large amount of translucency to work as some other screen mixes do.

Screen translucency is a two-edged sword in that while it allows any reflective particles in the mix to be more visible below the surface of the paint (which our mixes already achieve to a point since no paint we have found so far is totally opaque) it will soften and blur the projected image if carried too far. This is a concern with todays high definition PJ's. Back in the day when most PJ's were low resolution and/or had a visible "screen door effect" where you saw a grid pattern in the image if it got too large or you sat too close to the screen, those overly translucent mixes helped to give a better image due to their blurring effect. Those days are pretty much gone and those mixes are so yesterday.
post #46 of 92 Old 12-16-09, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

OK, you're not going to believe this... I did get to the other Lowe's store today and had my N6 sample color-matched again and even though the tint formula was different than the match I got at the other Lowe's it STILL isn't right! The good news is that one or two more tries should get the correct color. I can only assume that there is a bug of some kind in Lowe's color-matching software; it isn't off color enough for most people to care, but when you're dealing with the level of precision that we are it does matter.

I also got to a Home Depot and now have a tint formula for N6 gray in a 8 fl. oz. sampler. This would do for making the Elektra™ N8.5 and Elektra™ N8 (also called HTS-X2) mixes. For making the darker Elektra™ mixes you would need to get a full quart of N6.

Even though this sampler is not the Behr flat latex Enamel it will do for coloring these Elektra™ mixes since relatively little needs to be added to C&S™ to darken it to the N8.5 and N8 shades.

Code:
N6 match in Behr Premium Plus ULTRA Interior/Exterior Flat 8 fl. oz. sampler Medium Base #UL204:
Tint:
      oz.     348 oz.
B -  0        98
C -  0        20
F -  0          5
post #47 of 92 Old 12-17-09, 09:39 PM
Shackster
koyalo

So what would be final formula for 8.5. Sorry my question may be too dumb but I am new in understanding the color code but appreciate if you can give complete 8.5 formula with N6, C&S + Metallic Silver for my 110 inch screen.

How much mix should I prepare?

Thanks, K
post #48 of 92 Old 12-17-09, 10:00 PM
Senior Shackster
1canuck2

My System

If you look back to post 41 in this thread, you'll see Harp hasn;t got the final formula for N8.5 yet. But, why not just go for N8, your PJ has the lumens to do it, esp. at your proposed screen size.

As for how much, you'll probably end up with ~50-52 fl oz which will be plenty to do three coats (my recommendation) and have some left over.

You'll need a quart of Behr #1850 (or equivalent) tinted for C&S plus 16 fl. oz. of Craft Smart metallic Silver. You'll be adding some amount of N6 to that. If you go for N8, it will be 6 fl. oz., if you are set on the N8.5 it will be less (I think Harp alluded to 1-2 fl oz).

There's not much point in trying to make less than this since:
You'll have to buy the 1850 in a quart as anything smaller won't be enough.
The Craft paint comes in 16 fl oz, so is easy to add (no measuring required).
The only thing to measure is the N6. You could get away with buying one of the 8 fl oz sample pots and save a little cost their.
The beauty of this formula for me was how easy it was to mix. You will also add ~2 fl oz of distilled water (use it to rinse out the containers and thin the paint a little).

Trying to mix less than this will not save you any money since you'd have to buy more than one sample pot of the 1850, which is relatively more costly than a quart (per volume), plus you'll have more complicated measuring to do.
post #49 of 92 Old 12-17-09, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Your question isn't dumb, K. Never be afraid to ask questions here. Things like color tint codes and formulae can be hard to grasp. We try to put our tint formulae in a form that can be printed out and handed to paint store personnel to have the paint mixed (although Lowe's wouldn't know what to do with a Home Depot formula). This refers to colors like the N6 gray and not a screen mix such as Cream&Sugar™ or Black Widow™, those have to be mixed by you.

I don't have a mix formula for Elektra™ N8.5 yet, but I could probably have one ready in 3 or 4 days. I know about how much N6 paint would have to be added to Cream&Sugar™ to make it, but I have to test a few samples to make sure.

As for how much mix to prepare, I suggest about 1 fl. oz. of mix per square foot of screen surface. Multiply the width of your screen in inches by the height of your screen in inches and divide that number by 144 to get total square feet. It's better to have too much than not enough.

The standard C&S™ mix makes 48 fl. oz. to which is added the N6 paint. In the case of a N8.5 Elektra™ mix I doubt more than 2 fl. oz. of N6 would be added to that 48 oz.. This should be more than enough for your 110" screen.

I'll post the complete formula for Elektra™ N8.5 when I have it ready.
post #50 of 92 Old 12-18-09, 12:44 PM
Shackster
koyalo

Quote:
Your question isn't dumb, K. Never be afraid to ask questions here. Things like color tint codes and formulae can be hard to grasp. We try to put our tint formulae in a form that can be printed out and handed to paint store personnel to have the paint mixed (although Lowe's wouldn't know what to do with a Home Depot formula). This refers to colors like the N6 gray and not a screen mix such as Cream&Sugar™ or Black Widow™, those have to be mixed by you.

I don't have a mix formula for Elektra™ N8.5 yet, but I could probably have one ready in 3 or 4 days. I know about how much N6 paint would have to be added to Cream&Sugar™ to make it, but I have to test a few samples to make sure.
Thank you...really appreciate it!

Quote:
As for how much mix to prepare, I suggest about 1 fl. oz. of mix per square foot of screen surface. Multiply the width of your screen in inches by the height of your screen in inches and divide that number by 144 to get total square feet. It's better to have too much than not enough.
You make complex things so simple to understand for newbie like me!!

- K