HTS-X2 - an experimental N8 reflective screen mix - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 92 Old 12-20-09, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: HTS-X2 - an experimental N8 reflective screen mix

I have the N8.5 mix figured out and will be posting it tomorrow evening after I double check some things.

I'll be starting another thread on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 92 Old 12-21-09, 02:28 PM
Shackster
Todd

WOW those screen shots on the first page look amazing!
post #53 of 92 Old 12-21-09, 10:30 PM
Shackster
Todd

Quote:
1canuck2 wrote: View Post
Here's some pics.

Supplies all laid out:

Two quarts. One is the base for C&S one is the N6 paint Harp came up with.

The C&S base before mixing in the Craft Silver Metallic:

HTS-X2 mix in the can:

HTS-X2 again:

Ready to roll:

The next three shots are the screen (124" diagonal) after rolling three coats of HTS-X2 and a 28 hour cure.

All the lights on, camera flash on:

Partial lights on:

Lights off, just the flash:

I don't really see a difference between the three shots, I guess that's cos the flash fired off for all three. Should I try a shot with the lights all on and no flash? I am not much of a photographer beyond pressing the button on a decent point and shoot, but if there's any particular shots you want to see, let me know and I'll take them. Harp suggested taking a screen shot after calibrating the white balance to a white screen from a calibration disk. I'll try and grab that and any others you want to see tomorrow night after the paint has cured for a full 48 hours.
The screen looks great!!

I am in the process of doing the Scorpion mix and will be rolling my setup as well.

Can you provide any tips on rolling? I rolled my first coat of primer tonight and it see a lot of roller marks but I am thinking this is due to putting a white primer over a chocolate color wall paint. my hopes are the 2nd coat things even out a lot.

post #54 of 92 Old 12-22-09, 08:44 AM
Senior Shackster
1canuck2

My System

Definitely a second coat of primer will help. I would probably do a third. I did three Kilz2 primer coats over new drywall that my builder had primed with a single coat of cheap primer.

I would also do three coats of your screen paint as well.

Aside from plenty of coats, technique does matter. I used the Tiddler basic rolling method

Its not rocket science, but the method does work well. The key things for me were:
1. Use a low nap roller (6mm aka 1/4")
2. Move the roller slowly with even pressure

Tiddler's method of starting in the middle and rolling up and down to the extreme top and bottom in a few passes seemed to be a good way to get even paint distribution, and not overlapping each coat but going back over the previous coat and finishing with a down-rolled stroke was also quite successful (see the video). I worked from left to right as it seemed more logical to me, but he goes right to left.

Your first coat of screen paint will also look like poo, no matter how many primer coats you do. The second coat looked good, but I did a third coat for good measure.

I also watered down my paint with ~2 fl oz of distilled water.

Good luck.
post #55 of 92 Old 12-22-09, 02:16 PM
Shackster
Todd

Thanks for the info and video link!! My 2nd coat of primer looks so much better and I will be doing my 3rd coat this evening and it should just about perfect after that one!!
post #56 of 92 Old 01-03-10, 03:00 PM
Shackster
pyro2

So as I mentioned in another thread, I'm getting my 1st projector Mits HC3800 and am going to try the Elektra N8 mix maybe next weekend. I'll be painting it over Kilz2 on a piece of BOC. I have a DSLR Canon XTi and hope to show some of my results.

Since I'll be going through the painting process, I bought a little extra BOC to at least compare plain BOC with Elektra to convince myself afterwards it was worth it! If its helpful, I can paint an additional piece to send out to someone in the mail for them to do a proper comparison, or color analysis. The color bars comparison of different paint mixes in previous posts have helped me a lot.

Let me know if I can help in anyway. I think I owe it you guys...
post #57 of 92 Old 01-03-10, 04:10 PM
Senior Shackster
1canuck2

My System

I am pretty sure Harpmaker will take you up on that offer...
post #58 of 92 Old 01-03-10, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
pyro2 wrote: View Post
So as I mentioned in another thread, I'm getting my 1st projector Mits HC3800 and am going to try the Elektra N8 mix maybe next weekend. I'll be painting it over Kilz2 on a piece of BOC. I have a DSLR Canon XTi and hope to show some of my results.

Since I'll be going through the painting process, I bought a little extra BOC to at least compare plain BOC with Elektra to convince myself afterwards it was worth it! If its helpful, I can paint an additional piece to send out to someone in the mail for them to do a proper comparison, or color analysis. The color bars comparison of different paint mixes in previous posts have helped me a lot.

Let me know if I can help in anyway. I think I owe it you guys...
That would be great Pyro2! All I need to spectro is about a square inch, but a screen sample about the size of an index card helps to get a real feel for what the screen surface looks like. I'll PM you my address.

If you have any "hairs" sticking up off the BOC after the primer dries it would be a good idea to lightly sand them off before applying the Elektra™ mix.

I too prefer the "ugly" color bar and contrast bar photos of screens to show screen attributes. I know shots of movies or TV look at lot nicer, but they don't tell the same story.

One thing I will warn you about is that it is impossible to compare a white screen (BOC) and a gray screen (Elektra™) side-by-side; they are too different in color. The BOC will always have the whiter whites and the gray screen will always have the blacker blacks. The way a gray screen works is that when you have a whole screen that color there is no brighter reference in the image so our brains tell us that the snow, white dress or white car you are seeing on the screen is really white when it fact it is gray. It's a form of optical illusion, but it works very well. If you actually have a white target (a sheet of white paper of small piece of BOC) on the screen then that will naturally be brighter than the gray screen and the gray will look duller (but it will have more contrast).
post #59 of 92 Old 01-04-10, 09:07 AM
Senior Shackster
1canuck2

My System

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
One thing I will warn you about is that it is impossible to compare a white screen (BOC) and a gray screen (Elektra™) side-by-side; they are too different in color. The BOC will always have the whiter whites and the gray screen will always have the blacker blacks. The way a gray screen works is that when you have a whole screen that color there is no brighter reference in the image so our brains tell us that the snow, white dress or white car you are seeing on the screen is really white when it fact it is gray. It's a form of optical illusion, but it works very well. If you actually have a white target (a sheet of white paper of small piece of BOC) on the screen then that will naturally be brighter than the gray screen and the gray will look duller (but it will have more contrast).
Wouldn't you also require two different calibrations? One done for the white BOC and a different one done for the grey?

This is one of the things that has always confused me about the side-by-side shots that get posted. The PJ is calibrated (hopefully) for one of the screen surfaces being displayed, so naturally, all the others will not looks as good as they *could* were the PJ calibrated for them.

I'd rather see a shot of screen 1, displaying picture X, with the PJ calibrated for screen 1.
Then take a second picture of screen 2, displaying picture X, with the PJ calibrated for screen 2.

Change as few other variables as possible, then compare the results...
post #60 of 92 Old 01-04-10, 02:33 PM
Shackster
pyro2

Agree and understand the difference between comparing the two side by side, but I still wish to compare to convince myself that the exotic paints were worth the trouble as opposed to the plain BOC. Of course different ambient light conditions are part of that comparison. This will be my first PJ and screen so simply seeing another screen side by side in person may help put into perspective how much the screen can change the image. It will also help me understand the differences between white and gray screens.

I will easily send you a index card or larger chunk. After thinking about it, what I would REALLY like to see is a side by side comparison of this verse Black Widow. Will you agree this is a fair comparison that is meaningful? If someone has either a full BW screen or those vertical panels that are often compared, I would love to send a piece approx 24" x 54" for photo comparison. Only issue I forsee is having enough paint left over from the standard mixture amounts.

Harp, are you capable of doing gain measurements across the viewing cone or does that need to be sent elsewhere? How large of a sample is needed for that?