3D screen paint - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 41 Old 04-04-11, 01:53 AM

Re: 3D screen paint

I meant a 'sea container'. Sorry for the typo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 04-04-11, 03:12 AM
Shackster
Paintman

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
The only stipulations that I would have is that the paint would have to be cheap and that HTS members would get some sort of a discount.
My first interest in getting involved in Projection Paint was that the existing brand(s) are way to expensive for most people. I am convinced that it is also commercially interesting to have a brand that offers quality at a reasonable/low price.
That is why we start to sell/distribute a (2D) projection paint at roughly half the price of the big brands for the DIY market (it would be nice to even sell it cheaper, but every 'in-between' party takes his cut, increasing the price fourfold).
I am not sure what the quality of the paint is according to your standards, but I think it works very fine (maybe later you can have a look at it?

Our goal is to offer this (cheap) paint to customers in all countries we operate in.
We would be glad to offer all HTS members a discount on our products, but I am afraid that for members overseas the shipment will be quite costly.
post #23 of 41 Old 04-04-11, 02:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Ivob wrote: View Post
I meant a 'sea container'. Sorry for the typo.
No problem, I should have figured that out for myself.

Now that I understand what you intend to use as a screen substrate (the sea containers) I think that the ribs on them are going to be a big problem with a 3D mix (which is by nature very reflective). I think you will have to think of a way to cover the sides of those containers to make them smoother. Since this is for a one-time use perhaps something like drywall (also known as gypsum board, plasterboard, sheetrock etc.) might be an inexpensive solution. The next thing to come to mind would be a fabric of some kind such as canvas, but keeping it taut so it won't flap or billow in the wind might be a problem.

post #24 of 41 Old 04-04-11, 03:36 PM
Shackster
Paintman

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
The next thing to come to mind would be a fabric of some kind such as canvas, but keeping it taut so it won't flap or billow in the wind might be a problem.
Or the cardboard on rolls they use to cover floors when redecorating house interiors: it is very strong, water resistant and with a proper primer paintable. I guess. But how do you stick it on the containers?
post #25 of 41 Old 04-04-11, 07:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Rob van der Meer wrote: View Post
Or the cardboard on rolls they use to cover floors when redecorating house interiors: it is very strong, water resistant and with a proper primer paintable. I guess. But how do you stick it on the containers?
The cardboard would work as well, but I have never seen it so I'm trusting your opinion. Being an outdoor event I guess rain could be a potential problem.

Are the sea containers being rented, as in must they be returned in the same condition as when you received them? While I haven't done it, I would think a good construction adhesive might work to hold the cardboard to the "ribs", it depends on how wide and flat the ribs are. The problem is that it might be difficult to remove later if that would be necessary.

By the way, if you or others would want to talk about any of this stuff via Private Message here on the forum, or via email, that would be fine as well.
post #26 of 41 Old 04-05-11, 07:38 AM
Geert

Hello everybody,

I am the paint nerd Rob is referring to.

Quote:
Rob van der Meer wrote: View Post
I would like to invite my 3D friends to this forum, because they have extensive experience in filming and projecting 3D movies. And of course my paint 'nerd' (although this term is not really referring to a young person in his case; he is 54).
By the way, I am already 55.
I am not an expert on projection screen paint, but I am very triggered to lead this project to a successful ending.

Regards,
Geert Duyndam.
post #27 of 41 Old 04-05-11, 09:14 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Hi Geert, welcome to HTS!

It's really great to be able to talk (or should I say type) to a paint chemist. I have lots of questions, but I'll stick to the problem at hand (a 3D screen paint) for now.

As I said earlier, the problem in developing a 3D paint is trying to balance reflection from the metallic particles in the paint that retain the polarization of the light they reflect with somehow cutting down on that reflectivity so the screen doesn't hot spot and/or have a very limited viewing cone. The answer would seem to be to mix the metallic paint (probably aluminum based) with a matte clear finish.

The problem we have had in the past is that the clear finishes commonly used for this are water-based polyurethanes that are designed to be applied over wood, these yellow significantly over time even if they are not exposed to daylight. For your particular application (a very temporary screen) this wouldn't be a problem, but most people that build their own projection screens want something that will give good performance for years.

This probably has little to do with a 3D paint, but another concern with using water-based polyurethanes in this manner (mixing with water-based house paints) is that it seems to be like trying to breed a dog with a cat - they are simply two different animals. I have made a screen like this, and it seemed to work; but from what little I know of chemistry it bothers me.

We also try to make our screen mixes out of generally available paints which means using artist paints (such as the acrylics from Liquitex) and water-based house paints (we call them "latex" paints in the U.S. even though they contain no latex rubber).

What I would try to make a 3D mix out of would be a water-based aluminum paint that we use to make our Black Widow™ screen mix (Auto Air Aluminum-fine, a water-based automotive paint) and a matte finish artist medium such as Liquitex Matte Medium.
post #28 of 41 Old 04-10-11, 07:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

I haven't heard from anyone on this for a while, but in case you are still interested, I made up two test panels. The first was a mix consisting of 25% Auto Air Aluminum-fine and 75% Liquitex Matte Medium. The second was 5% AAA-F and 95% LMM (we use abbreviations here a lot).

I'll give the test panels several more days to cure a little and then I'll test them with linear polarizing filters and my PJ and take photos.
post #29 of 41 Old 04-11-11, 07:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Look forward to your results Harpmaker. When you post those, could you mention what substrate you're using.
post #30 of 41 Old 04-11-11, 10:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
Look forward to your results Harpmaker. When you post those, could you mention what substrate you're using.
I'll do so now Bob. My substrate of choice (it's inexpensive, easy to find and easy to handle) for test panels is 1/8" tempered hardboard. I prime it with a white primer and then spray it with the mix I am testing.

I don't have a 3D PJ, or 2 PJ's to make an passive 3D system, so basically what I'll be judging potential 3D performance by is the image brightness difference between having the polarizing filter at the camera first adjusted to give maximum image brightness and then rotate it for minimum brightness.