3D screen paint - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 41 Old 04-15-11, 04:51 AM
Shackster
Paintman

Re: 3D screen paint

Update from Holland:
Geert is now in the process of brewing his first 3D paint.
He ordered the aluminium for the recipe.
As soon as this arrives he will produce the first batch for testing on one container.

Our first check will be pure visual: hotspotting, brightness, contrast, color depth, et cetera. And check for the 'headache factor' of the polarization.
For a more technical understanding and for measuring results of (changes in) the paint, we are looking for a Dutch (or European) kind of Mechman who can help us on the 'reflective' side of the story.

By the way, when you are in the neighborhood, you are very welcome to witness the final open air 3D projection at the end of August in Holland (2 persons can stay at my house in Amsterdam).

I will keep you posted.

In one of your (Harpmaker) messages, you mentioned that you have some questions for a paint chemist. Please feel free to ask them directly to Geert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 05-04-11, 02:42 AM
Shackster
Paintman

Unfortunately for us, a screen maker (cloth, not paint) has decided to sponsor the big screen.
This is great news for my 3D friends, because this solves the problem of the uneven surface of the sea containers.
We keep on developing an affordable 3D paint however.
If you are interested in being informed on the progress and the results, please let me know. Or if you need some material for testing, in due time. I would be very honored if you would comment on the quality and see if there is anything to improve.
post #33 of 41 Old 05-04-11, 10:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Rob van der Meer wrote: View Post
Unfortunately for us, a screen maker (cloth, not paint) has decided to sponsor the big screen.
This is great news for my 3D friends, because this solves the problem of the uneven surface of the sea containers.
We keep on developing an affordable 3D paint however.
If you are interested in being informed on the progress and the results, please let me know. Or if you need some material for testing, in due time. I would be very honored if you would comment on the quality and see if there is anything to improve.
Sorry to hear that you lost out to a competing screen maker, but glad to hear your 3D friends now have a screen.

Yes! Please keep us informed on your 3D screen paint progress. We would be happy to test any screen sample or mix you would like to send to us.

post #34 of 41 Old 12-07-11, 04:19 AM
Shackster
Paintman

Just for the ones who are interested: you have not heard from us a while, since the large screen projection was cancelled and the development of another paint takes much more time as anticipated.
Affordable 3D screen paint is still one of our major goals, but it will not be before spring next year before we can start.
Untill then?
Rob
post #35 of 41 Old 12-08-11, 11:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Thanks for the update Rob. Please keep us posted on your future developments.

Our own 3D mix development was interrupted and we have yet to get back to it, but indications are that an efficient passive 3D screen mix will almost certainly have a limited viewing cone due to the reflective nature of real metallic particles. We are looking into another potential reflective material that may work, but it is still very much in the planning and acquisition stages.
post #36 of 41 Old 01-12-12, 02:58 AM
Lifeng Wei

Quite a story, I have read through. What a pity without an ending. I am working on a project as well now. From my experience, pure metallic paint will work well on any smooth surface, but the painting technic plays an important role here, and very difficult to success in the overall process. It is always natural that projects will finally give up painting and looks for a commercial screen. One 100 dollars screen can ruin a 100 thousand dollar project is the reason. I guess the market for this kind of paint could be very limited. Just mix and try as a fun and it always is. I donít mean to put an end to this thread and I will check back later. You are my heroes! See yea!
post #37 of 41 Old 01-12-12, 01:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Thanks for the post mrmy, and welcome to HTS!

A true metallic 3D screen mix is still in the works here, but it is in abeyance for the time being since many other projects simply take precedence.

In our limited experience, straight metallic paint (at least the ones we have tested) are too reflective and will cause significant hot spotting. The key to a good 3D mix is to control the hot spotting while not interfering with the reflective nature of the metallic particles. We have had some success with that by simply adding a clear matte medium to the metallic paint.

The commercial 3D screens I have seen leave a lot to be desired as well.
post #38 of 41 Old 01-12-12, 03:47 PM
Lifeng Wei

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Indeed! A custom made screen would suite our needs finally and we can only help ourselves.

Last edited by mrmy; 01-13-12 at 04:38 PM.
post #39 of 41 Old 04-18-12, 06:28 PM

Hello Harpmaker,
I am getting ready to buy a $300 screen for my outside 3D theater. Before I did I just wanted to check if you have made any progress on your paint mixture. I am on a real tight budget, so if you had a cheaper alternative I would be very happy to test it out.

I have my 2 projectors and filter, just waiting on a screen now. I would be happy to test anything you suggest!

Last edited by jspfunk; 04-18-12 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Thanking everyone
post #40 of 41 Old 04-18-12, 06:30 PM

I forgot, this fourm is great. I have learned lots.