3D screen paint - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 41 Old 11-27-10, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
eman

3D screen paint

Has anyone ever try to mix Black Widow with Paint On Screen 3D HD Silver Screen paint to make a screen for normal movie watching and 3D movie watching ? They claim its neutral , and I wonder if mixing the two paints together ( just like BW and C&S for Scorpion N8 ) will produce a neutral paint for a 3D screen . Who ever test this mix and finds out that it is neutral let's call it " Silver Surfer N ? 3D paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-27-10, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
eman

Re: 3D screen paint

Or maybe cream & sugar #2 mixed with paint on screen 3d hd paint . Or even better maybe mix the paint on screen 3d paint with scorpion n8. Who knows what kind of awesome screen will come out of this experiment.
post #3 of 41 Old 11-27-10, 09:51 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

If you are meaning to produce a "passive" 3D screen that depends on the reflected image maintaining polarization you can forget about using any mix that contains much opaque paint at all (latex or acrylic paints). All of our current screen mixes fall into that category.

As for the Paint On Screen 3DHD mix, I have severe doubts about the viability of this mix for the purpose. It's been a while since I was to their website, things have changed there - and not for the better. They make many unsubstantiated claims for their products, some of which defy physical laws. They claim their 3DHD mix has a gain of 4.0+, but yet it does not hot spot and has a 110 viewing angle. This just doesn't fly in the real world.

post #4 of 41 Old 11-27-10, 06:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
This is the first I've heard of them. If I didn't know better I'd think that was Roland from avs. Digital Paint vs Non-Digital?!?!? Oh my!
Their site is now filled with bombastic hyperbole Mech so I have to agree with your assessment.

A little more than a year ago a member sent me a sample of the Paint On Screen S1 Silver screen mix, and while it looked pretty good (it didn't appear to have the abundance of mica that similar mixes have), it still didn't meet our neutrality standards; and it cost $98 a quart!

Now they are making claims that their "digital" paints are better than "non-digitial" (which I assume means everything else available) and that their paints are HD (high definition) to bring out the best performance of 1080 resolution projectors. They are even saying that their paints will display a sharper image than vinyl or fabric screens! And of course all of this is done without one shred of evidence backing it up, the real reason being it isn't true!
post #5 of 41 Old 02-18-11, 10:36 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob

As mentioned, polarization-retention quality depends on metallic content at the surface (where light is reflected from the screen), and anything else will tend to depolarize the light.

I'm currently working on a DIY 3D screen using Gardner-Gibson Black Jack #5168 aluminum paint, as was suggested in another forum. It's worked well in sample tests (for 3D) but the final results remain to be seen. I, however, plan to swap out screens for 2D and 3D, since I believe there is an optimum for each.

Whether such a paint is neutral enough for your uses would have to be determined. I understand that it was available through WalMart (where I got mine 2 weeks ago - last gallon on shelf), but they are discontinuing carrying it. The price was right at $15/gallon.
post #6 of 41 Old 02-18-11, 02:21 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Bob, I wish you luck on you DIY 3D screen endeavor. The Black Jack 5168 should work a treat if you can conquer the hot spotting

That aluminum paint was actually the first choice back when Bill and Mech were developing Black Widow™, but it was found to have availability problems (and still does).
post #7 of 41 Old 02-18-11, 07:34 PM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Bob, I wish you luck on you DIY 3D screen endeavor. The Black Jack 5168 should work a treat if you can conquer the hot spotting
That's my main concern. I hope I can counter hot spotting by making use of a textured underlying fabric so as to "dither" the effect. Will have to see how that goes. Any experience with spray coating the Black Jack?
post #8 of 41 Old 02-18-11, 08:22 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
That's my main concern. I hope I can counter hot spotting by making use of a textured underlying fabric so as to "dither" the effect.
I'm not sure what you intend to do here?
Quote:
Any experience with spray coating the Black Jack?
I assume you mean coating the aluminum screen with a clear top-coat. We have not found a clear top-coat yet that didn't yellow over time, all polyurethanes tested have done it. If you want to experiment I would suggest trying clear artist mediums or varnishes.

If you meant literally spraying the Black Jack, just thin it enough with water until your gun sprays a proper fan and the spray comes out as a fine mist and not spits and spats.

NOTE! When spraying pure aluminum paint ALWAYS wear a true respirator and not just a dust mask!!! You do NOT want that stuff in your lungs!
post #9 of 41 Old 02-19-11, 09:50 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you intend to do here?

I assume you mean coating the aluminum screen with a clear top-coat.
My plan is to front-coat a textured backing fabric with the Black Jack.

No, I'm not going to use any kind of overcoat. I was referring to the Black Jack itself. It seemed to have a pretty watery base so I wasn't sure how well it would spray coat but my thoughts were that might provide a thinner and more uniform coat than rolling it on, thus preserving some of the texture of the underlying fabric. If I do spray it, it would be outside and with the proper protective gear for sure.

Thank's for your input.
post #10 of 41 Old 02-19-11, 12:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
My plan is to front-coat a textured backing fabric with the Black Jack.
Gotcha.

Quote:
No, I'm not going to use any kind of overcoat. I was referring to the Black Jack itself. It seemed to have a pretty watery base so I wasn't sure how well it would spray coat but my thoughts were that might provide a thinner and more uniform coat than rolling it on, thus preserving some of the texture of the underlying fabric. If I do spray it, it would be outside and with the proper protective gear for sure.

Thank's for your input.
No worries, glad to of assistance.

I have never worked with the Black Jack paint so I can't give you any help with spraying it. If you are familiar with your spray gun then just go by what viscosity has worked well in the past. Yes, spraying will work better than rolling for pure aluminum paint.