Eye1 Pro question - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 10-31-11, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System
Eye1 Pro question

I've been playing around with BabelColor and my Eye1 Pro. When I get a sample from the calibration tile (The plastic plate with inset white tile the pro comes with) the xy value is .316 and .334 . (RGB 242, 241, 236) Shouldn't it read .312 and .329? I also get the same reading from Sintra, which I saw on here is supposed to be very color neutral. Is my Pro just off a bit, or are the calibration tiles not necessarily dead on white?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-31-11, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Eye1 Pro question

Thanks Mech!

It's out of date for sure. I'd have to pull out the cert, but it was about 3 years ago. I tried several different pieces of Sintra I'm sure were different lots. (Different thickness and size, bought about 6 months apart.) All were actual brand name of Sintra. (Not komatex or similar.) All the pieces were very, very close to identical, and all were very close to the calibration tile.

Edited to Add: Just checked, the cert is 4 years old. I didn't think the Pro would drift that much, but maybe I guess.

Last edited by Nak; 10-31-11 at 01:35 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-31-11, 02:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

I'm not really sure how the i1Pro is calibrated at the factory, but different calibration tiles are slightly different in color thus the need to set the spectro to an individual tile. This is why it is so important to get the matching calibration tile when you purchase a used spectro.

I too am going to have my i1Pro recertified soon, but first I'm going to get something like a color checker and do before and after readings to see how much difference bringing my I1Pro up to snuff really makes. One thing recertification will do is make sure your spectro has the most current firmware that is available for it.

My understanding is that the i1Pro is a very robust device and it can go years without requiring recertification IF you have a way to monitor potential color-drift. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-31-11, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks guys!

I just tried an experiment. I tried several different bright white substances and substituted them for the calibration tile. Whatever substance I calibrated with, that substance then measured .316 and .334. So, apparently the Pro is expecting the calibration tile to be that color. I then calibrated the Pro with the calibration plate and meausured some teflon. (Teflon is supposed to be pure white.) The Teflon measured .312 and .329... So it seems my pro is working just fine and my Sintra is off white just a tiny bit, coincidentally matching the calibration tile. Just to be sure, I'll run up to Sherwin Williams sometime and see if they'll compare their readings with mine on the Sintra.

Thanks again!

Edited to add: I ran the diagnostics as well; it checked out fine.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-11, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Doh! I cleaned the Sintra.... .312 and .328.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-31-11, 03:09 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

"Virgin" Teflon is one of the materials used as a Unity target in gain testing. The problem is that many types of Teflon aren't virgin but rather are made with varying amounts of recycled Teflon which can affect color. It sounds like you had the right type of Teflon.

I'm not sure about Sherwin-William stores, but the last I checked none of the paint stores I frequent can actually report the RGB, LAB, xyY or any other color space data for the sample under test; they can only suggest a tint formula to match it. I find that rather short-sighted by the software company, but most color-matching machines are made by X-Rite and they give away precious little info for free.