Making a darker Black Widow™ - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 96 Old 09-04-13, 02:16 PM
Shackster

Thumbs up Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
regdunlop wrote: View Post
So... my friend rocked up with a compressor and paint sprayer and we got to work. I had prepared the wall with fine sandpaper, and sectioned off the room with plastic and papered the ceiling. The AAA-F arrived on Thursday, so it all come together perfectly.

The test panel looked really good, so we didn't bother thinning out the paint. The result is very impressive... as another forum member wrote, it is hard to imagine such bright whites showing up on a dark grey wall!

The only thing I notice is that the finished surface is a bit textured... seems to me like it would be a magnet for dust. Is the surface supposed to be a bit rough? Did we maybe spray too much paint on there, or is it possible to buff the surface?

All in all a very successful project! Thanks to Harpmaker for the specific paint color instructions, and to all of you who invested time testing and giving feedback.
Here are some pics of the project... thanks again guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 09-05-13, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
regdunlop wrote: View Post
So... my friend rocked up with a compressor and paint sprayer and we got to work. I had prepared the wall with fine sandpaper, and sectioned off the room with plastic and papered the ceiling. The AAA-F arrived on Thursday, so it all come together perfectly.

The test panel looked really good, so we didn't bother thinning out the paint. The result is very impressive... as another forum member wrote, it is hard to imagine such bright whites showing up on a dark grey wall!

The only thing I notice is that the finished surface is a bit textured... seems to me like it would be a magnet for dust. Is the surface supposed to be a bit rough? Did we maybe spray too much paint on there, or is it possible to buff the surface?

All in all a very successful project! Thanks to Harpmaker for the specific paint color instructions, and to all of you who invested time testing and giving feedback.
What exactly do you mean by textured? If the paint was a bit too dry, or the spraying distance from the gun tip to the screen was a bit too far, the paint could have dried a bit before hitting the screen which can cause a finish that feels a bit like fine sandpaper. The only fix for that is to spray another coat on it that contains a bit more water or spray closer to the screen. The finish coat of paint CANNOT be buffed.
post #93 of 96 Old 07-02-14, 09:01 PM
Shackster

Hi Harp,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'd like to try this mix out and was wondering with Glidden color would I use for the base, "icon grey" or "seal grey"? My last BW mix used "granite grey" as the base color but I'd like to go darker if I can and since this older BW N6.4 formula has been tested I'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks!

post #94 of 96 Old 07-02-14, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
DIYADD wrote: View Post
Hi Harp,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'd like to try this mix out and was wondering with Glidden color would I use for the base, "icon grey" or "seal grey"? My last BW mix used "granite grey" as the base color but I'd like to go darker if I can and since this older BW N6.4 formula has been tested I'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks!
No Problem on bringing up an old thread!

I assume you are using the new AAA-F since that is very important to getting a neutral gray with the Black Widow Ultra™ mixes.

If you want to get as close to the N6.4 BW™ variant then use the 'Icon Gray' as a base. I think the 'Seal Gray' would produce a mix around N6.
post #95 of 96 Old 07-03-14, 05:33 PM
Shackster

Thanks Harp! I'll try the icon grey then. Have you ever tested an N6 BW mix? I got the 32oz AAA so I'll have plenty left and will probably do a test panel with the seal grey as a base. I've read in some of your posts that the darker you go the more likely you are to get sparkles from the AAA. What's the darkest you've tested before running into that problem or a strong blue push? Also,would the N6 formula you posted earlier in the thread with the current valspar ultra paints?

Thanks again.
post #96 of 96 Old 07-04-14, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Thanks Harp! I'll try the icon grey then. Have you ever tested an N6 BW mix? I got the 32oz AAA so I'll have plenty left and will probably do a test panel with the seal grey as a base. I've read in some of your posts that the darker you go the more likely you are to get sparkles from the AAA. What's the darkest you've tested before running into that problem or a strong blue push? Also,would the N6 formula you posted earlier in the thread with the current valspar ultra paints?
It's very odd (and a bit embarrassing), but both Mech and I have had very little time (for different reasons) to put toward testing the new Black Widow Ultra™ mixes for over a year!

The testing I did do has shown that the new AAA-F has a MUCH reduced chance of adding any sparkles to the final mix compared to the old version.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the N6 formula I posted. Do you mean the N6.4 mix that started this thread?

Your best bet at this time is to use the Valspar Signature interior paint in matte finish. This has the same gloss finish as the old Valspar Ultra Premium in flat enamel finish. Valspar has been having fun changing the name of this old paint; first the name stayed the same, but the 'flat enamel' finish was changed to the 'super flat' finish (it was the exact gloss level as the 'flat enamel' finish). They then changed the paint name from Ultra Premium to just Ultra and for awhile this paint was available in both the 'flat enamel' and 'super flat' finishes depending on what store you went to. It was crazy! I'm not sure what finishes are currently available in the Ultra paint; it's just so much easier to get the Valspar Signature in matte finish.

As for making an even darker BWU™ mix, I have made some sample to test for color just using an N5 paint and the new AAA-F in ratios of 4:1, 2:1 and even 1:1 and the results have been quite neutral and NO sparkles have been detected except with a magnifying glass. I cannot say how the mixes with more AAA-F in them would work under projection as I haven't done that yet, but I would say they look promising.

Quote:
Thanks again.
You are very welcome!
post #97 of 96 Old 07-04-14, 02:47 AM
Shackster

A wealth of information as always! I'm definitely looking for the darkest paint mix I can get. If you have any tint codes for an N6 or N5 with the AAA included I'll be happy to send you a sample. I an using the new AAA and got the big 32oz bottle (I already went through 4 of the 4oz ones trying out different versions of BW ultra) so I have at least 4 screens worth to experiment with. With the long weekend here in the states I'm hoping to get at least a few test panels done. Any recommendations on the ratios of base pait to AAA? Thanks again for the quick responses!I
post #98 of 96 Old 07-04-14, 04:42 PM
Banned!
Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
It's very odd (and a bit embarrassing), but both Mech and I have had very little time (for different reasons) to put toward testing the new Black Widow Ultra™ mixes for over a year!
It is embarrassing...
post #99 of 96 Old 07-04-14, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
A wealth of information as always! I'm definitely looking for the darkest paint mix I can get. If you have any tint codes for an N6 or N5 with the AAA included I'll be happy to send you a sample. I an using the new AAA and got the big 32oz bottle (I already went through 4 of the 4oz ones trying out different versions of BW ultra) so I have at least 4 screens worth to experiment with. With the long weekend here in the states I'm hoping to get at least a few test panels done. Any recommendations on the ratios of base pait to AAA? Thanks again for the quick responses!I
The darkest BWU™ mixes we have even minimally tested are made with an N5 base paint. Below are the RGB and LAB values for the mixes. These are even darker than the Stewart FireHawk screens.

N5/AAA-F 4:1 (this has been the standard ratio used for the various BW™ mixes).
RGB 124.3 , 123.5, 123.0
LAB 51.87, 0.26, 0.32 [N5.2]

N5/AAA-F 2:1 (2 parts N5 base to 1 part AAA-F).
RGB 127.4, 126.1, 125.2
LAB 52.93, 0.32, 0.63 [N5.3]

N5/AAA-F 1:1 (equal parts N5 base and AAA-F).
RGB 134.0 , 132.6, 131.1
LAB 55.44, 0.28, 0.92 [N5.5]

I used a quart of Valspar Ultra with the following tint code:
For a quart:
Base C in 'Flat Enamel' or 'Matte' finish
101 - 41 (Lamp Black)
107 - 5 (Yellow Oxide)
109 - 3 (Red Oxide)
113 - 1Y44 (White)

This same tint code in a quart of Valspar Signature interior matte finish should work fine as well.

Keep in mind that this is the EXPERIMENTAL forum and these mixes are experimental and not ready for prime time yet. The more AAA-F you put into a mix the higher the gain will be, but this will increase the chance that the mix will have too small a viewing cone, or even hot spot.
post #100 of 96 Old 07-05-14, 12:42 AM
Shackster

Awesome! Thanks a million! I know this is the development forum and that's why I'm here. I'm excited to see how the test panels with the N5 base turn out. Only way to get it to prime time is testing right ?