Making a darker Black Widow™ - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 96 Old 06-27-12, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
Pyrometman wrote: View Post
Got my Bermuda Beige from Lowes. Here is a picture of the tint values for 1 quart:

I'm still in the hunt for the N5 paint. The guy working in the paint department in my local Lowes could not find the Glidden paint "Grimmy's Grey" in his database. As soon as I have the N5, I can paint the screen.

The permanent rigid screen is completed except for the paint and border.
There are many ways to make a color so don't be too concerned if you find your BB made with tints no one else has gotten up till now. Also, the base paints changing at Lowe's could have something to do with this as well, I note that they are now going to lettered bases instead of numeric bases in some paints. The only thing that doesn't change is change itself.

Just got back from a trip to Lowe's. Got a sample of PPG 'Flagstone' (supposedly a N7) and had the sample formula I got for N5 made into a quart of Super Flat (which has AGAIN changed labels and is now a 'paint and primer in one' paint - ugh - oh well, such is life). I'll prepare sample chits for both of these paints and report on them tomorrow evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 96 Old 06-27-12, 05:18 PM
Shackster

Jason

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
There are many ways to make a color so don't be too concerned if you find your BB made with tints no one else has gotten up till now. Also, the base paints changing at Lowe's could have something to do with this as well, I note that they are now going to lettered bases instead of numeric bases in some paints. The only thing that doesn't change is change itself.

Just got back from a trip to Lowe's. Got a sample of PPG 'Flagstone' (supposedly a N7) and had the sample formula I got for N5 made into a quart of Super Flat (which has AGAIN changed labels and is now a 'paint and primer in one' paint - ugh - oh well, such is life). I'll prepare sample chits for both of these paints and report on them tomorrow evening.
Harp,

I should have mentioned that my local Lowe's had both the old (Ultra Premium Flat Enamel) and new (Ultra Premium Super Flat Finish) bases that are equivalent. The guy grabbed the older one. I don't recall seeing "paint and primer in one" on the can but I wasn't really paying attention to that.

Do you know which pigment is "105"? I'm just trying to make sense of the pigments and the amounts used to make quart vs. gallon sizes. Just curiosity.

I should be ready to paint this weekend. I made a custom projector mount last night (which itself needs to be painted..) and I'll pick up hardware to hang the screen tonight. Should be mounting the projector Thursday night after getting painted tonight. Hopefully, I'll be painting the screen Friday after work and watching my first film on BW™ N6.4
post #43 of 96 Old 06-27-12, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Harp,

I should have mentioned that my local Lowe's had both the old (Ultra Premium Flat Enamel) and new (Ultra Premium Super Flat Finish) bases that are equivalent. The guy grabbed the older one. I don't recall seeing "paint and primer in one" on the can but I wasn't really paying attention to that.
The can of "Super Flat" I got today has a totally different label on it, and the base is now called "Base C" instead of base 4. Why in the world they have to mess around with a paint system that has worked for years is just crazy. My guess would be that making it sound new and different is supposed to boost sales somehow.

Quote:
Do you know which pigment is "105"? I'm just trying to make sense of the pigments and the amounts used to make quart vs. gallon sizes. Just curiosity.
105 is the Valspar number for "Raw Umber" (think of it as a really dark yellow-brown with a hint of orange).

If the paint bases are the same all that needs to be done to increase tint amounts from a quart to a gallon is to multiply by 4.

Quote:
I should be ready to paint this weekend. I made a custom projector mount last night (which itself needs to be painted..) and I'll pick up hardware to hang the screen tonight. Should be mounting the projector Thursday night after getting painted tonight. Hopefully, I'll be painting the screen Friday after work and watching my first film on BW™ N6.4
Cool! Wait a minute... how are you going to make BW™ N6.4 if you don't have any N5 to mix with the BB?

post #44 of 96 Old 06-28-12, 09:27 AM
Shackster

Jason

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Cool! Wait a minute... how are you going to make BW™ N6.4 if you don't have any N5 to mix with the BB?
I've been praying that the N5 mix you had made up in a 1 qt size and are testing tonight will work out. It's all on faith Harp

I do have a backup plan for the weekend however and it's called "Kilz2". I got my screen up last night and will likely put a coat of Kilz2 on it tonight. I can watch on that until the N5 is ready. It's all good
post #45 of 96 Old 06-29-12, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Here are the results for the N5 Valspar ULTRA. Not too shabby.

I'll take a photo of the paint can and label and post them tomorrow.

The paint is now called Valspar ULTRA Paint + Primer super flat interior. The part number on the can is 391017 Base C.

The tint formula for a quart is:
Base C
101 - 41 (Lamp Black)
107 - 5 (Yellow Oxide)
109 - 3 (Red Oxide)
113 - 1Y44 (White)
post #46 of 96 Old 06-29-12, 12:45 AM
Shackster

Not to shabby indeed Harpmaker, and looks very promising and nice work on this so far as i am still waiting to get a screen itself and have to wait till i get some more cash so i can go out hunting for a hardboard etc..
post #47 of 96 Old 06-29-12, 09:15 AM
Shackster

Jason

Harp,

Thanks for coming through on the N5! Awesome work

I will stop at Lowe's after work and get them to make me a quart. Looks like I'm painting tonight or Saturday morning.

If my local Lowe's doesn't have the Base C, what do you recommend?

Just to clarify, does the 1Y44 represent 1 + 44/48 fluid ounces?
post #48 of 96 Old 06-29-12, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
If my local Lowe's doesn't have the Base C, what do you recommend?
Their computer can compensate for different bases, but try to get Base C if you can.

Quote:
Just to clarify, does the 1Y44 represent 1 + 44/48 fluid ounces?
Correct. Even when buying black paint they add white tint to increase the paints "hiding power". If they are out of the proper base for a color they can use a more translucent base (or simply a can with less paint in it) and add white tint to compensate.
post #49 of 96 Old 06-30-12, 05:09 PM
Shackster

Jason

Here are the paints I used for BW™ N6.4:

On the left is the Bermuda Beige

Center is AAA

Right is the N5.

I had the N5 made using Valspar Ultra Paint+Primer Flat Base C (391034). My local Lowe's did not have "super flat".

I've mixed 16 floz each of Bermuda Beige and N5, then mixed in 8 floz of AAA.

Friday night I painted on a couple of coats of Kilz2 over brown hardboard and let that dry overnight. Saturday morning, I mixed up the BW™ N6.4 and painted one coat. That's where I am at now.

Here are a couple of photos taken with my smartphone cam:

Gandalf from RotK

A shot from Food Network

Last edited by Pyrometman; 06-30-12 at 08:29 PM.
post #50 of 96 Old 06-30-12, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Here are the paints I used for BW™ N6.4:

On the left is the Bermuda Beige

Center is AAA

Right is the N5.

I had the N5 made using Valspar Ultra Paint+Primer Flat Base C (391034). My local Lowe's did not have "ultra flat".

I've mixed 16 floz each of Bermuda Beige and N5, then mixed in 8 floz of AAA.

Friday night I painted on a couple of coats of Kilz2 over brown hardboard and let that dry overnight. Saturday morning, I mixed up the BW™ N6.4 and painted one coat. That's where I am at now.
Everything looks good, but you got the N5 made in flat interior paint. The paint can number I gave in a previous post is for their SUPER FLAT finish, not flat. It's counter-intuitive (at least to me), but the super flat finish (which replaces their latex enamel) has a tad more gloss than their flat finish. But hey, no harm, no foul; you would probably have to see screens painted with flat and super flat side-by-side to see any differences.

Do you think your projected image is too dark with this mix? Do you see any hot spots or sparkles or graininess?

Those pics look pretty good for phone photos.