Making a darker Black Widow™ - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 96 Old 06-30-12, 07:15 PM
Shackster

Jason

Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
What's your subjective opinion so far?
Just got back from the fabric store...getting some 1.5" black velvet ribbon for the borders. I had to buy the store out to get what I needed...LOL.

Watched some different content earlier and I'm impressed with what it can do. Color is as neutral as my eye can tell. I've got quite a bit of ambient light coming in but the image still looks very watchable to me. As I am writing this, I am watching Watchmen Blu-Ray which has a lot of dark scenes and I can still make out a good amount of detail.

I want to do one more coat as I can see a few areas on the left side of the screen where I did not properly down-roll. You can only see it when there is a solid color across the screen.

At this point I can't see any hot/warm spotting. I feel it actually needs a little more sheen. Maybe the next coat will help. I think the Kilz2 primer underneath the first coat may be coming through just enough to give it a slight dullness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 96 Old 06-30-12, 07:28 PM
Shackster

Jason

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Everything looks good, but you got the N5 made in flat interior paint. The paint can number I gave in a previous post is for their SUPER FLAT finish, not flat. It's counter-intuitive (at least to me), but the super flat finish (which replaces their latex enamel) has a tad more gloss than their flat finish. But hey, no harm, no foul; you would probably have to see screens painted with flat and super flat side-by-side to see any differences.

Do you think your projected image is too dark with this mix? Do you see any hot spots or sparkles or graininess?

Those pics look pretty good for phone photos.
Harp,

Yeah, the Lowe's didn't have a single can with "super flat" on it, not even in a full gallon. I had to pull the trigger however...and the tint formula seems to work well enough. I'll get you samples of all the components and the final mix. I knew it was going to be "flatter" when the paint they put on the top of the can dried. I compared to the SW satin finish I painted earlier and knew it was going to be a flatter finish.

The image is good on brightness...better than the SW N6 paint that was my temporary screen. I have one sparklie in the upper left corner. I am sitting about 20-30 degrees left of center. As for graininess, only a little on bright screens where the entire field is one color. Keep in mind I have vision that is slightly better than 20/20. I'm one of the lucky ones

I left some other comments responding to mechman also and I'll continue to keep you up to date. I'm going to do a second coat in a little while.

Last edited by Pyrometman; 06-30-12 at 08:28 PM.
post #53 of 96 Old 06-30-12, 07:49 PM
Shackster

Good stuff.

I had a rather circuitous journey, but I hopefully have the materials to start on my screen. My luck at Lowes was mixed. They didn't have any base C in the paint+primer (supposedly the difference between A and C is how full the can is - A is too full to accept the quantity of tint that was spec'd), so they swapped for 'Valspar Signature' paint+primer Matte. To add insult to injury, their computer wouldn't pull up the correct tint formula for the VUP base for the BB, so they swapped for the Valspar Ultra Paint + Primer flat and tinted that.
So, I have both the BB and the N5, but neither are actually using the correct base. My hope is that this will result in at worst a minor shift, but I guess we'll see. I'm a bit concerned about Matte vs Flat - is Matte likely to be to far off to be useful?

I'm really unsure on how to proceed. If I had confidence in my ability to mix smaller quantities, I'd try some test samples. Otherwise, trying straight BW first is probably the wisest choice, and then move on to BW 6.4 if the BW doesn't seem dark enough.

post #54 of 96 Old 06-30-12, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Pyrometman, just to keep things straight, the correct paint finish is super flat, not ultra flat.

dwkdnvr, even though your Lowe's used the "wrong" paints I think you should still be in the ballpark with the paints they used. I think the Signature Matte is about the same gloss level as the old latex enamel, but I'll have to pull up some Valspar TDS data to find out for sure. If you would like to test the BB and N5 paints that you have just make up 1" square samples of them on white cardboard (or even an index card) and mail them to me or Mech. If you're interested just PM either of us for our addresses.
post #55 of 96 Old 06-30-12, 08:27 PM
Shackster

Jason

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Pyrometman, just to keep things straight, the correct paint finish is super flat, not ultra flat.
Yep, sorry for that. I've gone back and edited my previous posts to avoid confusion.
post #56 of 96 Old 07-01-12, 08:51 PM
Shackster

Jason

Painted a second coat today. The dullness I saw yesterday must have been the Kilz2 primer coming through. It looks much better today. The image has some depth that wasn't there before the second coat.

I watched "The Grey" on Blu-Ray today and it looked good being that there is a lot of snow scenes in the movie...and also a lot of dark scenes.

Caught Megan Fox on Transformers:

Only a little graininess on when the image is a white field. I can't find any sparklies on this coat. The brightness is a bit better than yesterday as well.

Last edited by Pyrometman; 07-01-12 at 08:58 PM.
post #57 of 96 Old 07-01-12, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Pyrometman wrote: View Post
The brightness is a bit better than yesterday as well.
As the paint cures more of the aluminum flakes come into play. I don't think you will see much improvement after 7 days, but you might if you have a lot of humidity.
post #58 of 96 Old 07-02-12, 04:31 PM
Shackster

Smile Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

That is looking pretty good so far Pyrometman and nice work on this darker BW thus far and of course indeed Harpmaker also.

Last edited by Starmaster; 07-03-12 at 10:06 AM.
post #59 of 96 Old 07-06-12, 01:49 PM
Shackster

What amount of gain would be expected of a darker black widow? I assume there are no measuements yet.
post #60 of 96 Old 07-06-12, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mppatt01 wrote: View Post
What amount of gain would be expected of a darker black widow? I assume there are no measuements yet.
I have no idea, and gain (which always means peak gain unless otherwise stated) is something that one simply CAN'T guess at with any accuracy, there are just too many variables that comprise it. I always have to laugh when I see someone making a big deal over one or two tenths of peak gain. Those values equate to a 10% and 20% change in peak image brightness, but few people realize that it takes at least a 33% brightness change for any real difference to become readily apparent to the human eye. 33.3% is the equivalent of 1/3 of an f-stop on a camera exposure. Very few cameras have finer settings than 1/3 f-stop and back in the day of film cameras the smallest variance was usually 1/2 f-stop (a 50% brightness change).