Making a darker Black Widow™ - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 96 Old 08-04-12, 03:33 AM

Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

I'm about to receive an Epson 8500ub, and I can only project it at 100" diagonal max, so I'm looking for something dark for the screen. Also, I have white/beige walls and ceiling, and some directional gain would probably be nice. So... is this "blacker widow" considered ready for prime time now? Could I hope to get less graininess from it in such light cannon mode (as compared to regular BW™)? Or should I just forget directional gain and go with OTS grey instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 08-05-12, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
kibber wrote: View Post
I'm about to receive an Epson 8500ub, and I can only project it at 100" diagonal max, so I'm looking for something dark for the screen. Also, I have white/beige walls and ceiling, and some directional gain would probably be nice. So... is this "blacker widow" considered ready for prime time now? Could I hope to get less graininess from it in such light cannon mode (as compared to regular BW™)? Or should I just forget directional gain and go with OTS grey instead?
Welcome to HTS!

If your PJ is mounted so close to the screen (projectorcentral says 9' 9") that you can only get a max. size of 100" that means you are getting ~54 fL of image brightness (also from the pc calc). That will almost melt your eyeballs. I think I would simply use a darker neutral gray OTS instead of a reflectively enhanced mix like BW™.

At for BW™ N6.4, it is not ready for prime time and is still experimental at this point.

Since we don't know what is causing the apparent graininess in brighter BW™ images (we haven't been able to reproduce this effect ourselves) I don't know if BW™ N6.4 being darker would help, hinder or not make a difference.
post #63 of 96 Old 10-08-12, 09:40 AM
Shackster

Not much interest/action on this thread in a while.

I got a rather amazing lesson in perception this weekend. I've been running a straight BW screen, but the surface prep was substandard so I knew it would eventually need to be re-done. I finally got around to starting 'round 2' this weekend, and started by painting my screen wall with the N5 mixture that I had originally gotten with the intent of trying BW6.4 - the intent was just to have a darker backdrop for the screen since it's been white up to now.
On a lark, I fired up the PJ and shot it at the N5 wall and was absolutely stunned at how well it performed. There is a definite mental discordance looking at a dark grey wall and seeing fairly bright whites and good colors coming off it. If this setup was movie-only in dim/dark conditions I might seriously consider staying this dark - the reduction in splash off the screen and resulting darker overall space was a big improvement in overall experience, but shadow detail didn't seem to suffer in my quickie test (first hour or so of LOTR - Fellowship, including the first encounter with the Rider in the woods). It didn't quite cut it for football where there was a fair bit of ambient light, though - not bad by any stretch, but didn't quite have the pop that we'd gotten used to for afternoon viewing.

So, my plan is to mix the remainder of the N5 with the remainder of the BW mixture I have and run with that. It won't be quite in the official/recommended BW6.4 proportions since I used a fair bit of the N5 to paint the screen wall, but it'll be substantially darker than standard BW.

I'll try to take a shot of the N5 screen along with the test board I have with stock BW, and I'll paint a section of that with my final mixture.

As a refresher, I'm using a Mits HC4000 on a rather small not-quite-constant-height screen (I zoom to switch aspect ratios). 16:9 is set to 34" high, 2.35:1 is set to 72" w. I haven't done the ft-l calcs, but even in low-lamp mode it's pretty bright.

Last edited by dwkdnvr; 10-08-12 at 09:52 AM.

post #64 of 96 Old 01-06-13, 02:45 PM
Shackster

What's the latest update on this? I now use Glidden "Veil" and I need a darker screen for ambient light. Can anyone recommend a Darker BW mix? I have an Epson 5020.

thanks
post #65 of 96 Old 03-08-13, 06:30 PM
Shackster

Any update on this mix?

Specifically, whats actually missing at this point besides confirming readings? Looks like the formula is generally posted?
post #66 of 96 Old 03-15-13, 11:01 PM
Shackster
Maxwell

I want to throw my hat in the ring and help out. Thanks to the community for all of the information already provided.

Here is my background - My previous theater was tiny, 8ft throw with a panny 200 in a pretty light controlled room; dark grey ceiling, dark walls and floors. The short throw forced me to have an 81 inch screen, which when bright white, caused me to squint. I was pretty ignorant at the time, now i realized that I projecting at 45-50 fl. I was using BW on that screen but obviously deeper blacks were still desired.

I just relocated from Cincinnati to Miami, Fl last week and I'm in condo with light walls and ceiling with plenty of ambient light during the evening. I picked up an Epson 8350 with 500 hours on the bulb and need to make a screen. I have a 12 foot throw and am looking to have 92 inch screen which i think puts me in the ball park of 22-24 fl.

I want to give this mix a try and see what kind of performance I get as well as help the community. What are the next steps to take and are there any suggested changes to the formula? I have a Home Depot, Lowes, Benjamin Moore, and a Sherwin Williams all within 5 miles of my place, so I hope I can get what we need.

I think this was the latest update and the formula followed by Pyrometman:
  • 16 ounces Bermuda Beige - Valspar Super Flat - Base C
  • 8 ounces AAA fine.
  • 16 ounces N5 - I am guessing the Valspar N5 sample was upped to make a quart.
Valspar 8 oz. sample (this is the paint used)
Base C (the type of base used in that paint)
101 - 10.25 (BLACK tint, 10.25 48ths of an ounce)
107 - 1.25 (YELLOW OXIDE tint, 1.25 48ths of an ounce)
109 - 0.75 (RED OXIDE tint, 0.75 48ths of an ounce)
113 - 23 (WHITE tint, 23 48ths of an ounce)
I am planning on rolling this with a 1/4 in nap roller, but I have not decided on a substrate yet. It will probably be masonite on a pine frame unless someone can provide me with a better idea.

Can I supply samples to anyone? Is there a size or substrate requirement for the samples?
post #67 of 96 Old 03-18-13, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Welcome to HTS maxposure!

Sorry for the delay in this response, the weekend is a busy time for me.

I just got back up to speed on where we left off in development. You are correct in simply dividing the quart N5 formula to get the tints needed for an 8 oz. sample, but there is a problem - the sample paint may not be the same as the paint used to make quarts. I just had some Valspar samples made up last Friday (I'm looking for a darker neutral gray) and the sample jars still use the old numerical base system; also they are only available in Satin finish which would add too much gloss to the final mix in the case of BW™ N6.4 since the N5 makes up half of the mix. To be sure of getting a good neutral N5 gray paint in the correct gloss level I would recommend getting a full quart in the Valspar Ultra in either Flat or Super Flat finish.

Just ask for Valspar Ultra in Super Flat finish tinted to PPG 'Bermuda Beige' #427-2. The base should be the equivalent of the old Base 1, but Lowe's tinting computer will tell them what base to use, all you do is provide the color name in this case.

Feel free to send me any paint samples you want tested for color or neutrality. Just PM me for my address and instructions on how to mail them. Sample size should be about 1 inch square, but larger is OK.
post #68 of 96 Old 03-19-13, 11:32 AM
Shackster
Maxwell

Thanks Harp,

I'm a terrible lurker and realize that I need to give back to the internet every now and then. Besides living next to every paint store imaginable, I also live within 10 miles of two official AAA suppliers! Talk about convenience! Unfortunately both of them were out of Aluminum (Fine), so back to amazon I went. I ordered 16 ounces in case we want to try a second formulation of this.

I built the fame and the screen this weekend and put 3 coats of a grey primer on it so that I could shoot an image while I wait for the AAA to arrive. Now it looks like one of my boards is bowing towards the center making the screen slightly convex. I will have to deal with that somehow.

I copied the N5 measurements from somewhere else in the thread. I did not see a formula for the quart size, and I will admit my ignorance but is making a quart literally just doubling the amount of each pigment? Can you confirm what I should be asking for when I go the the Lowes counter so I don't screw it up?

Also, I know that you were looking to develop a single color that you could mix with the AAA to achieve BW 6.4. Would it be helpful to receive a sample of just the two base paints (BB and N5) mixed together?
post #69 of 96 Old 03-19-13, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
maxposure wrote: View Post
Thanks Harp,

I'm a terrible lurker and realize that I need to give back to the internet every now and then. Besides living next to every paint store imaginable, I also live within 10 miles of two official AAA suppliers! Talk about convenience! Unfortunately both of them were out of Aluminum (Fine), so back to amazon I went. I ordered 16 ounces in case we want to try a second formulation of this.
I'm green with envy! Having those paint stores so close would be a dream; the closest store to me is 25 miles away (50 mile round trip).

Quote:
I built the fame and the screen this weekend and put 3 coats of a grey primer on it so that I could shoot an image while I wait for the AAA to arrive. Now it looks like one of my boards is bowing towards the center making the screen slightly convex. I will have to deal with that somehow.
I can see where this would bother you aesthetically, but the good news is that with the screen paint options promoted here a non-perfectly-flat screen should not matter during viewing.

Quote:
I copied the N5 measurements from somewhere else in the thread. I did not see a formula for the quart size, and I will admit my ignorance but is making a quart literally just doubling the amount of each pigment? Can you confirm what I should be asking for when I go the the Lowes counter so I don't screw it up?
For reference, the post where the N5 formula is given for a quart and the neutrality measured is here. Making a quart of paint from a tint formula for an 8 oz. sample means quadrupling the tint amounts since a quart is 4 times the volume.

Quote:
Also, I know that you were looking to develop a single color that you could mix with the AAA to achieve BW 6.4. Would it be helpful to receive a sample of just the two base paints (BB and N5) mixed together?
Thanks for the offer, but no, I have those paints already.
post #70 of 96 Old 03-21-13, 02:41 PM
Shackster
Maxwell

Thanks for the update.

I received the AAA earlier than anticipated yesterday, so I headed to Lowes and picked up the base paints. I used a 2:2:1 ratio to mix a quart of paint and used a 3/16 nap roller to lay on two coats with a couple hours separating them.

I put on the wall and used the AVS calibration videos to dial in the brightness and contrast. I am very impressed. The screen seems very neutral to me, no obvious issues with color push in any direction; and my blacks have never been better. Also no graininess or sparkling 12 hours in. In fact this looks much better than the original black widow application. That screen always has a 'shimmer' to it; I just expected that it was supposed to be that way! I can definitely see the aluminum working on an all white field but it doesn't seem to be obvious every time there is a solid blue sky.

I will post some photos this evening. Any screens shots or patterns preferred? I know how to work a camera so if you have any pointers on grabbing the right exposure, I would be happy to take them.