Making a darker Black Widow™ - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #81 of 96 Old 08-27-13, 12:14 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

directions say that it will dry in 4-6 hours, next coat after 8 hours... so it should work out

I had planned to spray... does that change anything?
regdunlop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 96 Old 08-27-13, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,772
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
regdunlop wrote: View Post
directions say that it will dry in 4-6 hours, next coat after 8 hours... so it should work out

I had planned to spray... does that change anything?
In my experience yes. When spraying you usually don't get a solid uninterrupted layer of paint on the screen, but rather a lot of small droplets that may or may not run together; because of this it usually takes 2 or 3 "coats" of sprayed paint to equal the amount of paint that can be rolled on in one coat. The good news is because the sprayed coats are so much thinner than a rolled coat they dry a LOT faster. I find that a sprayed coat dries to the touch in about 10 to 20 minutes depending on humidity and temperature so more coats can be applied in a given amount of time compared to rolling. Another plus when spraying is that you DON'T have to wait 4 to 6 hours before applying another coat of paint because there is no roller that will try to lift the previous coat so it only needs to be dry to the touch and not truly dry.

When spraying the screen be SURE to use an HVLP or LVLP gun and not an airless sprayer or a "conventional" spray gun. The last two guns work at high pressure and they get paint on EVERYTHING in the room including you. The first two types of guns work at low pressure and there is little "blow-back" from paint striking the screen and literally bouncing off and going into the air.

Typically you also have to thin interior house paints between 20 and 30% with distilled water to get them thin enough so the spray gun will shoot them as small droplets instead of large drops that spit and sputter and don't cover well. Black Widow Ultra™ must be thinned in a similar manner.
Harpmaker is offline  
post #83 of 96 Old 09-02-13, 03:17 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

So... my friend rocked up with a compressor and paint sprayer and we got to work. I had prepared the wall with fine sandpaper, and sectioned off the room with plastic and papered the ceiling. The AAA-F arrived on Thursday, so it all come together perfectly.

The test panel looked really good, so we didn't bother thinning out the paint. The result is very impressive... as another forum member wrote, it is hard to imagine such bright whites showing up on a dark grey wall!

The only thing I notice is that the finished surface is a bit textured... seems to me like it would be a magnet for dust. Is the surface supposed to be a bit rough? Did we maybe spray too much paint on there, or is it possible to buff the surface?

All in all a very successful project! Thanks to Harpmaker for the specific paint color instructions, and to all of you who invested time testing and giving feedback.
regdunlop is offline  
 
post #84 of 96 Old 09-04-13, 01:16 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Thumbs up Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
regdunlop wrote: View Post
So... my friend rocked up with a compressor and paint sprayer and we got to work. I had prepared the wall with fine sandpaper, and sectioned off the room with plastic and papered the ceiling. The AAA-F arrived on Thursday, so it all come together perfectly.

The test panel looked really good, so we didn't bother thinning out the paint. The result is very impressive... as another forum member wrote, it is hard to imagine such bright whites showing up on a dark grey wall!

The only thing I notice is that the finished surface is a bit textured... seems to me like it would be a magnet for dust. Is the surface supposed to be a bit rough? Did we maybe spray too much paint on there, or is it possible to buff the surface?

All in all a very successful project! Thanks to Harpmaker for the specific paint color instructions, and to all of you who invested time testing and giving feedback.
Here are some pics of the project... thanks again guys!

regdunlop is offline  
post #85 of 96 Old 09-04-13, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,772
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
regdunlop wrote: View Post
So... my friend rocked up with a compressor and paint sprayer and we got to work. I had prepared the wall with fine sandpaper, and sectioned off the room with plastic and papered the ceiling. The AAA-F arrived on Thursday, so it all come together perfectly.

The test panel looked really good, so we didn't bother thinning out the paint. The result is very impressive... as another forum member wrote, it is hard to imagine such bright whites showing up on a dark grey wall!

The only thing I notice is that the finished surface is a bit textured... seems to me like it would be a magnet for dust. Is the surface supposed to be a bit rough? Did we maybe spray too much paint on there, or is it possible to buff the surface?

All in all a very successful project! Thanks to Harpmaker for the specific paint color instructions, and to all of you who invested time testing and giving feedback.
What exactly do you mean by textured? If the paint was a bit too dry, or the spraying distance from the gun tip to the screen was a bit too far, the paint could have dried a bit before hitting the screen which can cause a finish that feels a bit like fine sandpaper. The only fix for that is to spray another coat on it that contains a bit more water or spray closer to the screen. The finish coat of paint CANNOT be buffed.
Harpmaker is offline  
post #86 of 96 Old 07-02-14, 08:01 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Hi Harp,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'd like to try this mix out and was wondering with Glidden color would I use for the base, "icon grey" or "seal grey"? My last BW mix used "granite grey" as the base color but I'd like to go darker if I can and since this older BW N6.4 formula has been tested I'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks!
DIYADD is offline  
post #87 of 96 Old 07-02-14, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,772
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
DIYADD wrote: View Post
Hi Harp,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'd like to try this mix out and was wondering with Glidden color would I use for the base, "icon grey" or "seal grey"? My last BW mix used "granite grey" as the base color but I'd like to go darker if I can and since this older BW N6.4 formula has been tested I'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks!
No Problem on bringing up an old thread!

I assume you are using the new AAA-F since that is very important to getting a neutral gray with the Black Widow Ultra™ mixes.

If you want to get as close to the N6.4 BW™ variant then use the 'Icon Gray' as a base. I think the 'Seal Gray' would produce a mix around N6.
Harpmaker is offline  
post #88 of 96 Old 07-03-14, 04:33 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Thanks Harp! I'll try the icon grey then. Have you ever tested an N6 BW mix? I got the 32oz AAA so I'll have plenty left and will probably do a test panel with the seal grey as a base. I've read in some of your posts that the darker you go the more likely you are to get sparkles from the AAA. What's the darkest you've tested before running into that problem or a strong blue push? Also,would the N6 formula you posted earlier in the thread with the current valspar ultra paints?

Thanks again.
DIYADD is offline  
post #89 of 96 Old 07-03-14, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,772
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Quote:
DIYADD wrote: View Post
Thanks Harp! I'll try the icon grey then. Have you ever tested an N6 BW mix? I got the 32oz AAA so I'll have plenty left and will probably do a test panel with the seal grey as a base. I've read in some of your posts that the darker you go the more likely you are to get sparkles from the AAA. What's the darkest you've tested before running into that problem or a strong blue push? Also,would the N6 formula you posted earlier in the thread with the current valspar ultra paints?
It's very odd (and a bit embarrassing), but both Mech and I have had very little time (for different reasons) to put toward testing the new Black Widow Ultra™ mixes for over a year!

The testing I did do has shown that the new AAA-F has a MUCH reduced chance of adding any sparkles to the final mix compared to the old version.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the N6 formula I posted. Do you mean the N6.4 mix that started this thread?

Your best bet at this time is to use the Valspar Signature interior paint in matte finish. This has the same gloss finish as the old Valspar Ultra Premium in flat enamel finish. Valspar has been having fun changing the name of this old paint; first the name stayed the same, but the 'flat enamel' finish was changed to the 'super flat' finish (it was the exact gloss level as the 'flat enamel' finish). They then changed the paint name from Ultra Premium to just Ultra and for awhile this paint was available in both the 'flat enamel' and 'super flat' finishes depending on what store you went to. It was crazy! I'm not sure what finishes are currently available in the Ultra paint; it's just so much easier to get the Valspar Signature in matte finish.

As for making an even darker BWU™ mix, I have made some sample to test for color just using an N5 paint and the new AAA-F in ratios of 4:1, 2:1 and even 1:1 and the results have been quite neutral and NO sparkles have been detected except with a magnifying glass. I cannot say how the mixes with more AAA-F in them would work under projection as I haven't done that yet, but I would say they look promising.

Quote:
Thanks again.
You are very welcome!
Harpmaker is offline  
post #90 of 96 Old 07-04-14, 01:47 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

A wealth of information as always! I'm definitely looking for the darkest paint mix I can get. If you have any tint codes for an N6 or N5 with the AAA included I'll be happy to send you a sample. I an using the new AAA and got the big 32oz bottle (I already went through 4 of the 4oz ones trying out different versions of BW ultra) so I have at least 4 screens worth to experiment with. With the long weekend here in the states I'm hoping to get at least a few test panels done. Any recommendations on the ratios of base pait to AAA? Thanks again for the quick responses!I
DIYADD is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
black , darker , making , widow™

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome