Making a darker Black Widow™ - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 96 Old 06-04-12, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Making a darker Black Widow™

This thread will be about making our Black Widow™ mix darker, significantly darker. This thread is in the Developers forum because it is still in the early stages of development and not near ready for prime time, but folks have expressed an interest in it so if they are willing to experiment along with us they can.

A darker BW™ mix that shows promise is comprised of a base paint that is 50% PPG 'Bermuda Beige' and 50% N5 neutral gray with the standard 20% AAA-F included to boost gain and make the whole mix a neutral gray. This mix has an N value of 6.4 which puts it in the same neighborhood as the Stewart FireHawk screens.

As things stand right now you would have to get a quart each of PPG 'Bermuda Beige' and N5 neutral gray (I'll have to track down the tint formula for this) and mix 16 fl. oz. of each making a full quart of base paint. To this add the regular 8 fl. oz. of AAA-F to complete the mix.

I intend on developing a tint formula so folks can simply get a quart of paint made to that formula and then add 8 fl. oz. of AAA-F and be done.

For simplicity of naming we will call this mix BW™ N6.4.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 06-04-12, 11:45 PM
Shackster

Jason

Re: Making a darker Black Widow™

Ok, I'll get going on the known items. I've got Lowes, Home Depot, Dunn Edwards, and Sherwin Williams outlets near me. Please recommend which paint line you feel will be best for this test. I'm going to work hard to get everything together by this coming weekend as my new projector should be here sometime this week. Looking forward to advancing this paint mix
post #3 of 96 Old 06-05-12, 09:42 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I apologize if I missed a prior thread discussing this, but what are the benefits provided by a darker BW mix in comparison to the current BW mix?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 96 Old 06-05-12, 09:51 AM
Shackster

Jason

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
I apologize if I missed a prior thread discussing this, but what are the benefits provided by a darker BW mix in comparison to the current BW mix?
The darker BW mix (BW™ N6.4) will allow me to use my new projector (Viewsonic Pro8200) on a sub 100" screen without burning my eyes out. It puts out a lot of light and rather than use a neutral density filter on the projector, it can be done with the screen. An additional benefit will be a greater tolerance to ambient light, allowing me to view comfortably with some light on in the room.
post #5 of 96 Old 06-05-12, 04:33 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Awesome - glad I subscribed. I will be following along closely to see how it goes and what your impressions are. Good luck!

post #6 of 96 Old 06-06-12, 10:09 AM
Shackster

Interesting that you use the full qty of AAA despite only having half as much of the B-B to 'correct'. Is this typical? Would there be any merit in trying a mixture with only 4oz of the AAA before adding the rest?

There doesn't seem to be a 5.0 on the list of neutral greys in the sticky thread, but there are some that are close. A direct comparison to a straight 6.x would also be interesting.

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I can try any of this, but having ordered the PJ I'm throwing my hat into the 'beta tester' ring.
post #7 of 96 Old 06-06-12, 10:29 AM
Shackster

Jason

Ordered the Auto Air Aluminum from TCP Global website. Not sure where it is shipping out from but it should take no longer than 4 days. I picked up 16oz to cover this and possible one or two other experiments.
post #8 of 96 Old 06-06-12, 10:32 AM
Shackster

Jason

Quote:
dwkdnvr wrote: View Post
Interesting that you use the full qty of AAA despite only having half as much of the B-B to 'correct'. Is this typical? Would there be any merit in trying a mixture with only 4oz of the AAA before adding the rest?

There doesn't seem to be a 5.0 on the list of neutral greys in the sticky thread, but there are some that are close. A direct comparison to a straight 6.x would also be interesting.

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I can try any of this, but having ordered the PJ I'm throwing my hat into the 'beta tester' ring.
dwkdnvr,

I am a bit concerned about this as well. By using only half of the pigments that are in the Bermuda Beige, do we risk having a blue push by using the standard amount of AAA? Are there enough pigments in the N5 neutral to help counteract the blue push? I think we should let Harpmaker weigh in on the methodology he settled on.
post #9 of 96 Old 06-06-12, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

I love it that you guys are thinking logically about screen mixes!

When I first started developing these mixes I thought as you did that I would have to have all the pigments from BB plus the added neutral gray, but that turned out not to be the case (for the life of me I still don't know why). If you can translate the info in the SRC chart title in the first post you will see that it consists of a base that is half BB and half N5 to which AAA-F is added in the standard 4:1 ratio. The result was VERY neutral. It left me scratching my head, but hey, I'll take it!

As for the N5 formula, after reviewing my notes I see that I still don't have as neutral a formula as I would like, but it's extremely close. I hope you have Lowe's stores near you since Valspar Ultra Premium is the paint I will be using for testing these mixes.

I also find that I'm almost out of AAA-F myself! Time to stock up!

You guys are wondering how BW™ N6.4 would stack up against a simple neutral gray of the same shade, that is a very good question and one of the reasons this thread is in the Developers forum. There is always the chance that there simply won't be a big enough difference to warrant using BW™ N6.4.
post #10 of 96 Old 06-06-12, 03:49 PM
Shackster

Jason

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I love it that you guys are thinking logically about screen mixes!

When I first started developing these mixes I thought as you did that I would have to have all the pigments from BB plus the added neutral gray, but that turned out not to be the case (for the life of me I still don't know why). If you can translate the info in the SRC chart title in the first post you will see that it consists of a base that is half BB and half N5 to which AAA-F is added in the standard 4:1 ratio. The result was VERY neutral. It left me scratching my head, but hey, I'll take it!

As for the N5 formula, after reviewing my notes I see that I still don't have as neutral a formula as I would like, but it's extremely close. I hope you have Lowe's stores near you since Valspar Ultra Premium is the paint I will be using for testing these mixes.

I also find that I'm almost out of AAA-F myself! Time to stock up!

You guys are wondering how BW™ N6.4 would stack up against a simple neutral gray of the same shade, that is a very good question and one of the reasons this thread is in the Developers forum. There is always the chance that there simply won't be a big enough difference to warrant using BW™ N6.4.
Harpmaker,

I have a Lowes about 1.5 miles from where I work, so absolutely no problem getting Valspar. As for whether or not BW™ N6.4 will work better than a simple neutral gray, that's why I'm here

How big do you like your samples to be for spectral analysis?