Use of additive to increase leveling? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 07-19-12, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

Re: Use of additive to increase leveling?

So, the 2oz of Floetrol did not seem to do much for the leveling. This may be because the previous layers of Killz2 and my leftover batch of BW were already there. So, it might never level out perfectly unless Floetrol is used at all layers.

However, it made elimination of roller marks fool-proof. As soon as the sample dries I'll send it off to Mechman for testing. I did buy enough aluminum paint for two batches this time. Just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 07-19-12, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

The Floetrol did not really seem to do much in regards to leveling. But, if you are one who is "roller-mark" prone then it makes the elimination of those almost fool-proof. I think the only way to get rid of the texture from the roller nap is to not use a roller and spray. I'll just have to deal.

I put some of the mix on paper and when it dried it will be sent to Mechman for testing. Too my eyes its seems the same as my previous mix.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-19-12, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

I'm having second thought about the use of Floetrol... The paint texture seems to be more pronounced. Like, the paint was pulled up more. I have 1/2 a quart left and tomorrow I'll add an extra ounce of Floetrol to it and see if that helps.

I might have to do a repaint.

post #14 of 19 Old 07-20-12, 01:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

The Floetrol should lower the surface tension of the paint so it levels better (and it sounds like it is doing that if it is easing any problems with roller marks), but if the surface being covered already has texture it would simply "hug" that texture. One can't smooth a textured surface by painting over the texture. I found that out years ago when I was painting a stand made out of plywood. I even used a sandable primer and sanded between coats, but after 4 or 5 coats I could still see the texture of the plywood in the paint (I should have applied a sandable sealant similar to spackling compound and sanded it smooth before painting).
post #15 of 19 Old 07-20-12, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

I'm totally not happy with the Floetrol. I can see on my *final* coat that there is some separation of the aluminum from the beige. At first, I thought it was my look angle but it's there alright.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-22-12, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

I maybe have jumped the gun on the color separation. But, other than that, I do not like the Floetrol for BW. It totally changed the consistency of the paint and the texture is smoother without the Floetrol than with. At least, with 2 oz per quart (I never added that last oz).

Maybe because the Behr is an enamel paint?
post #17 of 19 Old 07-22-12, 10:04 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
electronbee wrote: View Post
I maybe have jumped the gun on the color separation. But, other than that, I do not like the Floetrol for BW. It totally changed the consistency of the paint and the texture is smoother without the Floetrol than with. At least, with 2 oz per quart (I never added that last oz).
Meant to reply sooner, but have been busy the last few days. My experimentation with Floetrol has primarily been on testing potential color change. I find it strange that you are finding that paint with Floetrol has a rougher surface than without it, but I don't doubt you. It is a conundrum.

Quote:
Maybe because the Behr is an enamel paint?
While I don't know for sure I wouldn't doubt it. I don't believe it's the enamel finish but other ingredients in Behr paint that may be reacting to the Floetrol. You might call or email Floetrol about it to see what they have to say.

Did you use the Behr Premium (#1850) or the Behr Premium ULTRA (#1750) as a base for your BW™?
post #18 of 19 Old 08-01-12, 07:32 AM
Shackster

I tried the floetral this weekend.

I've been working on a rolled a BW (50% 50% superflat, eggshell, Lowes VUP) screen on stretched floating canvas at 126". Due to the flex of the canvas I have not been able to get rid of the roller marks (Sheen variation). I have at least 9 coats rolled counting the primer (too much texture) trying different techniques to get paint coverage without much pressure in a timely manner to not leave the marks.

The floetral helped. I used it at it's maximum amount recommended on the last try of the day and got the best results so far. .. it might have been good enough if my helper (dear mrs) didn't try talk me into being too conservative with the paint ....don't tell her i said that

Color variation hasn't been noticable, though to be fair, I don't see much other that than the dark and bright spots
post #19 of 19 Old 08-01-12, 02:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mppatt01 wrote: View Post
I tried the floetral this weekend.

I've been working on a rolled a BW (50% 50% superflat, eggshell, Lowes VUP) screen on stretched floating canvas at 126". Due to the flex of the canvas I have not been able to get rid of the roller marks (Sheen variation). I have at least 9 coats rolled counting the primer (too much texture) trying different techniques to get paint coverage without much pressure in a timely manner to not leave the marks.

The floetral helped. I used it at it's maximum amount recommended on the last try of the day and got the best results so far. .. it might have been good enough if my helper (dear mrs) didn't try talk me into being too conservative with the paint ....don't tell her i said that

Color variation hasn't been noticable, though to be fair, I don't see much other that than the dark and bright spots
I'm sure your "better half" meant well, but trying to conserve on paint is usually a bad idea; when rolling, if the paint film isn't thick enough it will tend to not level well.