Use of additive to increase leveling? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 07-15-12, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

Use of additive to increase leveling?

As I'm painting my screen for the second time, I'm using a piece of MDF as the substrate. ATM it is on the ground as I roll the paint on. I did this as I noticed before with BW™ that there was a slight sheathing affect on the wall which I was able to notice. Now, on the ground and horizontal, that affect is reduced but I can still "kinda" see it.

So, I was wondering if anyone has had tried something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/p...asy-92619.html

Or this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Or this:

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod75.html

To increase the drying time and therefore the paint will have more time to level.

I am worried as this might change the BW properties and it won't be as neutral as before.

Last edited by electronbee; 07-15-12 at 08:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-15-12, 07:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Use of additive to increase leveling?

Of the three item linked to I have only tested the 2nd one (Floetrol). If you don't add more than the manufacturer recommends there will not be a visible color change in BW™. I don't know about the other two products.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-15-12, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

Was the drying time affected any? I've noticed that BW™ takes about 2 to 3 hours to dry between each, rolled coat, depending on the weather.

Awesome... The direction sheet, located here:

http://www.duspec.com/DuSpec2/docume...umentId=664550

Says 8oz for 1 gallon of paint. So, 2 oz per quart.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-15-12, 08:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Yes, the more Floetrol that is added the longer the drying time is, that is one of the reasons it smooths the surface of the paint.

Up to 16 fl. oz. per gallon can be added if needed.

To get the smoothest finish use the shortest nap roller cover you can find, but NO FOAM rollers.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-15-12, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

I tried a little experiment with the foam roller on the Killz2 Premium paint. It did come out smooth, but, there were a few air bubbles.

This is what I was looking for something to help out the screen paint with leveling. I'm kinda picky with my screen and last screen I could see the sheathing from the couch some of the time. On an active scene or something with a lot of color and movement, it's hard. But a B&W movie, or, a movie with low pans/fades with mostly solid colors I could really see it.

Thanks for the tips!
post #6 of 19 Old 07-15-12, 10:16 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
electronbee wrote: View Post
I tried a little experiment with the foam roller on the Killz2 Premium paint. It did come out smooth, but, there were a few air bubbles.
The problem with the foam roller is the air bubbles that get into the BW™ when rolling; these bubbles come to the surface and then pop which tends to create a type of "blast ring" around where the bubble popped composed of aluminum flakes. The result is added reflectivity of the flakes that can be seen during viewing.

Quote:
This is what I was looking for something to help out the screen paint with leveling. I'm kinda picky with my screen and last screen I could see the sheathing from the couch some of the time. On an active scene or something with a lot of color and movement, it's hard. But a B&W movie, or, a movie with low pans/fades with mostly solid colors I could really see it.

Thanks for the tips!
I'm not sure what you mean by "sheathing", is it what some have referred to as graininess in the image under the conditions you specify?
post #7 of 19 Old 07-15-12, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

I guess you could call it grain. But, if you get close to the surface of the screen, you can see very small ripples in the paint. Every wall that I have seen has this to some degree. The wall behind my monitor has it and I can see it from where I sit.

The ripples are "better" since the MDF is laying on the ground. So, instead of the ripples being pulled down by gravity, they get pulled flat. I can already see that it is an improvement as I walk up to it. I was hoping that something like the Floetrol would allow the paint to level out even more, making it near flat as possible.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-16-12, 11:05 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
I guess you could call it grain. But, if you get close to the surface of the screen, you can see very small ripples in the paint. Every wall that I have seen has this to some degree. The wall behind my monitor has it and I can see it from where I sit.

The ripples are "better" since the MDF is laying on the ground. So, instead of the ripples being pulled down by gravity, they get pulled flat. I can already see that it is an improvement as I walk up to it. I was hoping that something like the Floetrol would allow the paint to level out even more, making it near flat as possible.
OK, I think I understand now. I think what you are seeing (and describing well) is the surface texture a painted surface has when paint has been applied with a roller; the thicker the roller nap the larger the ripple pattern will be. One of the advantages of spraying a screen is that this type of "orange peel" surface usually doesn't happen, but spraying has it's own potential problems so there is no foolproof application method.

One of the best paints for rolling is Sherwin-Williams ProClassic interior latex which is designed to level well and create a smooth surface, the problem is that the flattest gloss it comes in is satin finish which I don't think would work well for mixing BW™ (it would most likely hot spot).

Floetrol could well be your answer.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-17-12, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eb

Almost ready to rock! I came home from work all excited since the tracking number said the Aluminum Fine paint from DB came in... only to find out that it was nowhere to be found. It was shipped via FedEx/USPS and someone got some paint that they will have no idea what to do with. But, DB was cool enough to send me another one, gratis! Definitely will go FedEx all the way next time. I totally would have had the screen done by the weekend...
post #10 of 19 Old 07-18-12, 12:57 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Almost ready to rock! I came home from work all excited since the tracking number said the Aluminum Fine paint from DB came in... only to find out that it was nowhere to be found. It was shipped via FedEx/USPS and someone got some paint that they will have no idea what to do with. But, DB was cool enough to send me another one, gratis! Definitely will go FedEx all the way next time. I totally would have had the screen done by the weekend...
Sorry to hear about that... I've been burned a few times by FedEx "Smartpost" myself. I think the service deserves the name "Dumbpost", but that's just me.