Wisonart vs Nevermar - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 11-01-12, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Wisonart vs Nevermar

picked up a 5 x 12 sheet of fashion grey today at dallas wilsonart .
they will sell to anyone at the cash desk that doesn`t take cash .... LOL
148.00 with tax ......

now to build a temporary frame so i can get a look .......
thanks for the help ...... more to follow ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-08-12, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

did a little detour on the screen making and taking the time to de-popcorn the room first ...
post #13 of 20 Old 11-09-12, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

it just a mess ... I use a outdoor poison sprayer pump up bottle to spray it with water and let it soak a few minutes .... if it has never been painted it will scrape of like cottage cheese .... if it has been painted it must be scraped dry first to knock off the popcorn so the water will penetrate but that can be a huge mess ... anything built before 1979 contains asbestos so you must take the precautions .. I will float the ceiling smooth with no texture at all since this is my home , I have done the whole house this way ,takes a couple of more coats but sure looks nice when done .... this weekend will be the last coat then primer ... popcorn removal is a mess and use lots and lots of plastic ... when covering walls regular masking tape will get wet and fall off ... thunmtacks work good and ductape can be used on paneling or walls that have good paint adhesion ... funny i`m oiff to a job right now to scrape a bathroom ceiling ... i`ll take apic of the scraper`s I use ... basically tape and bed knife and lowes and or home depot has one that will catch some of the falling mush .... lol
more to come ,,paul ...

post #14 of 20 Old 11-13-12, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

got ceiling all done except around crown moulding which is going to be replaced with bigger moulding
built a temporary 2 x 4 frame to fit the 5x 12 sheet of fashion grey

now to temp set up projector ..... this is overwelming huge but reality is it will be cut down after I see the best image size for the projector ..... but as projectors get better and better I will have one this size some day ....
for now my largest tv is 42" . I can already see the mounting will be glue because the screws caused some waves when installed ... this is how we learn ...may use angle aluminum to edge clamp it in place as well ...
something like this .....and perhaps wrap that in felt

Last edited by 68customs; 11-13-12 at 04:21 PM.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-14-12, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Awesome 9 feet wide first screenshot ,,,,, cars2 bluray
picture is awesome on the grey screen ....... just got the projector sitting on a card table to give it a test run .... havn`t even tried the settings yet ,,,,, right out of the box it looks very good ....

Last edited by Harpmaker; 11-14-12 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Small edit to stay within forum rules.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-14-12, 03:24 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Very nice! That sheet doesn't seem to hot spot at all. Could you post the details (UPC, stock number etc.) so other folks can be sure of getting the same stuff?

I am a bit concerned since it looks like you are mounting the laminate without gluing it to a substrate for strength. Laminate alone is pretty fragile stuff.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-14-12, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

It`s Wilson Art Fashion Grey D381-60 Standard grade which is the thickest ...
I will glue it down once I get the size ... I will build a box type frame and will skin in 1/4 mdf then glue the Laminate down . i`m a furniture builder so this is right up my alley ..... off to do more placement testing ..
thanks for all of your help ..... paul
post #18 of 20 Old 11-14-12, 07:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
68customs wrote: View Post
It`s Wilson Art Fashion Grey D381-60 Standard grade which is the thickest ...
I will glue it down once I get the size ... I will build a box type frame and will skin in 1/4 mdf then glue the Laminate down . i`m a furniture builder so this is right up my alley ..... off to do more placement testing ..
thanks for all of your help ..... paul
Thanks for the info! I really am impressed by that screen. It makes me wonder what other folks used when their DW-FG screens hot spotted?

Glad to hear you are adding a backer to the laminate.

If you have the time and the inclination, a tutorial of some kind on how to build a screen like yours would really be nice; things that might be second-nature to you as a furniture builder would leave many a DIY beginner scratching their head. No problem if you don't though.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-18-12, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Is there a thread with HDTV tuner cards here on the shack need a tuner for basic cable with the local HDTV channels. Time Warner is the provider tried a ati diamond card but it wouldn't get the hd channels
Plan on building a media PC

think I found what I need is a atsc and qam tuner (one that will see the local hd channels )....... ok back to getting screen cut and finished first ...
got the onkyo 7.1 surround all hooked up as well ..... avengers bluray sound is awesome

Last edited by 68customs; 11-19-12 at 11:08 AM.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-19-12, 08:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
68customs wrote: View Post
Is there a thread with HDTV tuner cards here on the shack need a tuner for basic cable with the local HDTV channels. Time Warner is the provider tried a ati diamond card but it wouldn't get the hd channels
Plan on building a media PC

think I found what I need is a atsc and qam tuner (one that will see the local hd channels )....... ok back to getting screen cut and finished first ...
got the onkyo 7.1 surround all hooked up as well ..... avengers bluray sound is awesome
Check out this forum for that sort of thing. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...media-servers/