Wisonart vs Nevermar - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Wisonart vs Nevermar

New guy here ... i`m master woodworker builder and remodel contractor ...
building my first screen ..... found this place researching screens ... I have 35 years of countertop fab and installing so laminate screen right up my alley .... ok question I have a account at nevermar and picked up samples of their whites ..... any comparison between the wilsonart designer white and nevermars whites ?
closet one seems to be precision white ..... anyone used nevermar ... wilsonart is avaialble here but don`t have a account there ...... just wondering ?
thanks in advance .... paul
interesting this place being a shack ... I administrate joe`s diecast shack yuku boards with 4500 hotwheel and diecast nuts ......

Last edited by 68customs; 10-12-12 at 03:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 11:19 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Wisonart vs Nevermar

Quote:
68customs wrote: View Post
New guy here ... i`m master woodworker builder and remodel contractor ...
building my first screen ..... found this place researching screens ... I have 35 years of countertop fab and installing so laminate screen right up my alley .... ok question I have a account at nevermar and picked up samples of their whites ..... any comparison between the wilsonart designer white and nevermars whites ?
closet one seems to be precision white ..... anyone used nevermar ... wilsonart is avaialble here but don`t have a account there ...... just wondering ?
thanks in advance .... paul
interesting this place being a shack ... I administrate joe`s diecast shack yuku boards with 4500 hotwheel and diecast nuts ......
Welcome to HTS!

I never heard of Nevamar laminates before but from what I could find on their site it looks like their product "ERASABLE PROJECTION BOARD" might be what you want. The default color is 'Chalk White' which, if their online color swatches are accurate, is quite neutral in color. Equally important is the fact that they say it has a "low glare finish". I couldn't find any listing of their finishes to compare that too, but you want a fairly flat finish to avoid hot spotting.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

thanks for the reply ,going to print that off and take it to the distributor here ,, they couldn`t find info on that when i was there a few days back ... I had heard of that ...

paul

post #4 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I did call the wilsonart dallas office and they do have cash sales there ... 134.00 for 5 x 12
just the traffic getting there is a few hour ordeal ...
post #5 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 06:51 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
I did call the wilsonart dallas office and they do have cash sales there ... 134.00 for 5 x 12
just the traffic getting there is a few hour ordeal ...
Some of the WilsonArt screens I have seen appear to hot spot a bit, don't know what's up with that; some people have it and others don't. I know their laminates come in different gloss finishes so maybe some sheets got mislabeled or somesuch.

Since you work with laminates I assume you know to examine the sheet for imperfections before taking delivery. Some people have gotten a sheet home before noticing problems.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

thanks I will inspect ... I have never used wilsonart brand ... I never had a issue with formica or nevermar brand ... but then again never have made a panel beamed with light ... Laminate counters are kinda making a comeback ... most of my kitchens I build are granite ... huge business these days ... but huge cost ...

thanks for your help ... I will post my build ...
paul
post #7 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 08:09 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
thanks I will inspect ... I have never used wilsonart brand ... I never had a issue with formica or nevermar brand ... but then again never have made a panel beamed with light ... Laminate counters are kinda making a comeback ... most of my kitchens I build are granite ... huge business these days ... but huge cost ...

thanks for your help ... I will post my build ...
paul
Glad to be of help.

We haven't discussed your HT setup, and I don't mean to pry, but a white screen like the WilsonArt 'Designer White' or the Nevamar 'Chalk White' will only work it's best in a totally dark HT with dark colored room surfaces. It doesn't take much ambient light at all (including light reflected from the screen bouncing off light colored room surfaces back onto the screen) to make such a screen lose contrast, black level and mute colors. Of course this matters more to some people than others.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

almost black stained picture frame paneling , room super dark .. i`ll start up some pictures ... may black out ceiling or a tan ceiling ..... will have dark stone firplace as well ... thanks for asking .... this is my first home theater and I recieved a epson 710hd brand new as a tip on my last job ... I know its entry level for the serious but I like to stay a couple of year behind technology .. I just got a iphone 3 yesterday ... LOL
post #9 of 20 Old 10-12-12, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

here`s the den ... this is part of a whole house remodel ...

screen will be off to the left
fireplcae will be like this stone ... this has the arrow is pointing out a braciapod fossil

if you care to see some remodel pics they are here
http://68customs.com/kitchen.html
put the old sony wega 36 inch on craigslist and got a whopping 20 dollars and a back ache from loading it ...
room is 16 x 25 and will just be for the theater .....
post #10 of 20 Old 10-23-12, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

yes on the 710hd ....... screen approx 110 to 120 ...
going to temporarily mount the projector and a full 5 x 12 sheet before I make the actual screen size to see what looks the best .... thanks Mechman for your reply .... the shack has alot of great info I have been reading thru and learning valuble knowledge, thanks I will get the laminate soon and show my results.
I will get a fashion grey sample and see if there is a matching color in Nevermar and or make the trip to Wilsonart .... awesome ...

paul spradlin