Black Screen? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-13, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Black Screen?

Has anyone tried or had any success with a Black Screen? I know the BDII 0.8 is not painted and is a multi layer material, but could it be possible to paint a black screen that would work similar to the BDII in ambient light and perform well under controlled light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-13, 02:26 AM

Ron

My System
Re: Black Screen?

In to hear responses to this.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-13, 11:56 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mhariush wrote: View Post
Has anyone tried or had any success with a Black Screen? I know the BDII 0.8 is not painted and is a multi layer material, but could it be possible to paint a black screen that would work similar to the BDII in ambient light and perform well under controlled light?
A small black panel was used as a screen many years ago on another forum, but only to prove a point which was that if you hit even a black surface with enough light it could be used as a screen. While projectors get brighter and brighter every year they are still way short of the lumens needed to use a black screen. As an example, most "deep black" paints are really around N2 in shade which is ~50 RGB and reflects ~3% of the light that hits it. Even if you are hitting such a screen with 2000 lumens it would only be reflecting back ~60 lumens. In short, you would have to be hitting that screen with 15,000 lumens to get 450 lumens returned. While such a scenario might be possible it certainly wouldn't use a PJ designed for home use.

No, there is no way even the most complicated DIY paint could produce the refection characteristics of an engineered screen like the BD or Supernova. While another forum has actually stated they meet and beat a BD screen with the darker versions of their mix they have shown absolutely NO PROOF of this, mainly because it's impossible.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-13, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks Harpmaker. I'm currently using "Veil" Glidden on my screen and it's a nice picture, with the lights off. Comp to my Panny G20 and possibly better blacks. But in ambient light it's not good at all, but I guess even with a darker mix it still wouldn't be as good as I would like? So I guess I'm going to have to shell out for a BD....But at least it's a screen that will last a long time...

What is the darkest mix that can be done? I have an Epson 5020, projecting 96" at 12ft, so I'm zoomed in a little bit and therefore loosing some light in the lens.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-13, 02:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mhariush wrote: View Post
Thanks Harpmaker. I'm currently using "Veil" Glidden on my screen and it's a nice picture, with the lights off. Comp to my Panny G20 and possibly better blacks. But in ambient light it's not good at all, but I guess even with a darker mix it still wouldn't be as good as I would like? So I guess I'm going to have to shell out for a BD....But at least it's a screen that will last a long time...
Be careful, make sure to actually view a BD (preferably in HT conditions similar to yours) before you shell out the bucks for a BD. While that screen does send more of the light that strikes it back toward the projector that performance doesn't come for free, and I'm not taking about money. Whenever you increase the gain of a screen you WILL introduce various negative artifacts in the reflected image. BD screens have historically caused color-shifting in the reflected image depending on what angle you view the screen at and also have a viewing cone that some find restrictive. Make SURE a BD will suite your needs before buying.

As always, it is far better to treat the ambient light problem by somehow limiting the ambient light at it's source. I know this sometimes can't be done, but you might be surprised how far cutting down on the ambient even a little will improve a projected image.

Quote:
What is the darkest mix that can be done? I have an Epson 5020, projecting 96" at 12ft, so I'm zoomed in a little bit and therefore loosing some light in the lens.
We really haven't looked into super dark screen mixes yet. The darkest so far is the experimental BW™ N6.4. About the time that mix was being tested my family started having a number of health issues that required most of my attention so I haven't had time to work further on the dark BW™ mixes. I'll revisit that thread and read up on it again.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-19-14, 11:01 PM
Shackster

My System

I've had excellent luck mixing tintable silver metallic (usually left untinted) with flat/matte dark-base tinted "deep onyx". While a 3:1-2:1 (metallic:black) gives a very similar performance to the BD screen I've compared it to, the 1:1 mix sacrifices some peak gain to improve uniformity over that if the BD. The gain loss still allows a moderate screen to pair with a dimmer projector so I'm much more pleased to have the wider viewing-cone and less side/corner dimming.

I have tried (to some extent at least) RalphLauren and the discontinued MarthaStewart metallic from HomeDepot, the Glidden/Disney and various shades of FolkArt metallic from walmart, and a few shades of rustoleum metallic accents.
I haven't tried AAA or anything primarily outside of the US..so anyone who's interested and able would have my super-wonderful gratitude for testing further. ..pretty please.

Ooh, and for those with lumens to spare (enough for ~20ftL on a 1.0gain screen), a 1:2mix (metallic: black) eeks out the last sweet drops of uniformity in exchange for eating your extra lumens.
So that might help those with more modest screens or beefy projectors who want the darkest screen shade along with very solid uniformity.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-20-14 at 01:05 AM.