'Pigment' Free Gray- Initial Development and Testing - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 82 Old 10-07-07, 06:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Re: 'Pigment' Free Gray- a New Gray

Did I miss something or did this PFG just make a SW Gray Screen look bad in comparison??
Those pics make the PFG 'pop' in comparison the the SW gray screen if I'm getting it right.
Just awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 82 Old 10-07-07, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
E-A-G-L-E-S wrote: View Post
Did I miss something or did this PFG just make a SW Gray Screen look bad in comparison??
Those pics make the PFG 'pop' in comparison the the SW gray screen if I'm getting it right.
Just awesome!
I am a huge movie buff and like making movie quotes and this one is from a great movie and kind of fitting... It's from Quigley Down Under...

Elliott Marston (Alan Rickman)
Ah ha. Legendary Sharps.

Matthew Quigley (Tom Selleck)
You know your weapons. It's a lever-action, breech loader. Usual barrel length's thirty inches. This one has an extra four. It's converted to use a special forty-five caliber, hundred and ten grain metal cartridge, with a five-hundred forty grain paper patch bullet. It's fitted with double set triggers, and a Vernier sight. It's marked up to twelve-hundred yards. This one shoots a mite further.

Elliott Marston
An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition.

Matthew Quigley
You could call it that.

Elliott Marston [Smiling]
Let's experiment.

Right now this is in a testing stage but it is showing enough promise that I felt it would be interesting to show the progress. When it is finally tweaked out and fully tested it will get a final solution status and then I can feel comfortable recommending it.

Yes though, it is blowing away Gray Screen that much.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #13 of 82 Old 10-07-07, 06:31 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

If I knew how to make all those graphics and such their would be that evil scientist rubbing his hands together going insane with laughter.

post #14 of 82 Old 10-08-07, 03:00 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Just incase you cannot get the reflective spots out, I can't believe I'm even saying this, what commercial screen would give this same effect?
post #15 of 82 Old 10-08-07, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
E-A-G-L-E-S wrote: View Post
Just incase you cannot get the reflective spots out, I can't believe I'm even saying this, what commercial screen would give this same effect?
Is your question in reference to this statement I made?
Quote:
wbassett wrote:
Next I am going to run the Aluminum through a filter. I have noticed there are some larger flakes in the Aluminum paint that do show up as larger pronounced particles on the rolled panel. Once these are removed by running it through a filter, this should be able to be sprayed at that point as well as rolled.
If so, there were only a couple of flakes that were that big. Running it through a paint filter will completely remove anything that size. If it was asking about something else, please specify (i.e. remind me) what I may have said! There are no sparklies that I could see in the 3:1 or 4:1 panels. I did see one in the 3:1 but only after I applied the poly, and it's off axis so not a big factor with this test panel. Before that I couldn't see any. When I rolled I did see a few big flakes and I removed them and then rolled the area again. That's why the screen shots are showing them. Again, this is one of the refinement issues I'm working out and filtering it should resolve this.

post #16 of 82 Old 10-08-07, 03:21 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Graphic--"little baby from family guy with an evil happy face"
...you were right, I was concerned about the flakes.

Edit: I don't think I've been this excited since I got my first HD t.v. ... cannot wait to get the final recipe It will be up on my wall that evening
post #17 of 82 Old 10-08-07, 04:02 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Bill, what kind of filter will you use for the flakes? I was doing some painting with a flat black paint, and accidentally dropped some white paint flecks into it. I decided that I could filter them out, and tried running it through an old T-shirt. That absolutely didn't work. The paint was too viscous and just sat on top of the shirt...nothing went through (well a bit did, but it would've taken a month for it all to drip through).

Anyway, I'm curious what type of filter you'd recommend using on paint (or in your case aluminum)...
post #18 of 82 Old 10-08-07, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Just a standard filter used for sprayers to remove large particles so they don't clog the sprayer. They are like a $1 for three or something like that. The Aluminum paint is the consistancy of water so it filters pretty easy.

post #19 of 82 Old 10-08-07, 04:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Just a standard filter used for sprayers to remove large particles so they don't clog the sprayer. They are like a $1 for three or something like that. The Aluminum paint is the consistancy of water so it filters pretty easy.
So that is why there is the mix ratio there is........learning slowly
post #20 of 82 Old 10-08-07, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Yeah exactly. The only thing that would need filtered would be the Aluminum paint and not the entire PFG.