'Pigment' Free Gray- Initial Development and Testing - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 82 Old 01-04-08, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: 'Pigment' Free Gray- a New Gray

We'd be happy to test any samples you have for our master database, but we try to stay away from comparing commercial screens to DIY screens. I know a lot of people want that and its been done, but seeing this forum supports both commercial and DIY we don't want to favor one over the other. In all the side by side comparisons and reviews we've done, the upper end commercial screens still have the edge when it comes to performance. For some of the third party and more generic screens out there, or the BOC sold on ebay as screen material... there are DIY options that perform better than those.

In fact I recommend commercial screens almost as often as DIY. It all depends on what the person is looking for and their budget. And then there are some people that quite frankly are not interested in DIY in the least. Some see it as inferior even though it's not- however they do have the right to their opinion, and others either don't want to bother with the time and work needed to build a screen themself, or they just may not have the skills and acknowledge that.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 01-04-08, 11:09 AM
Senior Shackster
James

Re: PFG Pictures 5:1 Winter Mist

Just curious, are you also considering a top coat for this, or is this with the top coat applied already?
post #63 of 82 Old 01-04-08, 08:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Re: PFG Pictures 3:1

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Review viewing cone in the Gain and other Interesting Topics thread and then check back here on Sunday or so!

I apologize but I am a bit busy for the next day or two...

mech

post #64 of 82 Old 01-05-08, 01:00 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Re: PFG Pictures 3:1

I won't be off axis at all, unless I am on my other computer, and if I am over there, then I am not really paying attention that much to the quality, or the programming...and that is not a very often scenario.

My Leather sofa is almost as wide as the screen, directly in front of it, so 3:1 WOULD work here.

I think I've only added a couple of chairs once or twice since I set this up...

I probably wont use it anyway, considering that there IS a SLIGHT chance that someone would want to watch from a chair over there.
post #65 of 82 Old 01-05-08, 01:25 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Re: PFG Pictures Luminous White 4:1

Yep- Look at the muddy whites of the FG in comparsion to the 4:1 mix........

Thats the problem I have with Grey!!
post #66 of 82 Old 01-05-08, 02:19 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

mech, I know there's a bazillion combinations that can be tried...but I wonder if you tried putting DW next to the dice? I remember when you tested DW vs FG the whites also made the FG whites look dirty. You made a comment about how you hated testing a screen with good whites against the FG, 'cause the whites look so much better.

My expectation is that the whites of PFG fall somewhere in between DW and FG, with blacks equivalent to or slightly better than FG and much, much better than DW. But, I was wondering if you actually pulled out the DW to see if that's the case.

The "I'm not an idiot" disclaimer: To be clear, I fully understand that we normally do screen comparisons against references of similar shade...and I agree that's the most appropriate approach. However, PFG has much better whites than any other screen we've seen that is this dark, so it just got me thinking about exactly how white the whites are compared to known screens with excellent whites. PFG has such a wide spectrum of color that it can reproduce, it's almost like you need to think of it in a different way (for example, the whites are as good as a simple N9 "grey paint" screen, and the blacks are as a good as good as a simple N7 "grey paint" screen.) I'm just thinking aloud...not sure what the actual range would be. I'm sure there's no way that the whites would be as good as DW, since it is lighter than N9, plus has measurable gain.
post #67 of 82 Old 01-05-08, 02:27 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

I agree Jim, that was my thought as well.

It's pretty clear to me that the PFG produces whites closer to what a white screen would, but with colors closer to what a grey screen would.

I'd like to see PFG 4:1 vs DW just to get a closer feel for the difference.

Forget the usual thinking, this is a whole new territory!!

Good Job Guys!!

G
post #68 of 82 Old 01-05-08, 07:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

It sounds like PFG mixes for bat caves is another area that needs testing, but it isn't the main thrust behind the initial mixes.
post #69 of 82 Old 01-05-08, 11:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I think it would be pretty much impossible to come up with a grayish screen that would have better whites than DW. But I am always open to ideas!
Not better whites, just matching what DW gives. It might be possible to create a PFG mix that would do this while giving some ambient light tolerance.

Quote:
And there will be new ideas arriving at my doorstep this week as well as yours!

mech
Looking forward to it!

H.
post #70 of 82 Old 01-09-08, 12:18 PM
rfisher1968
Inactive

Re: 'Pigment' Free Gray- a New Gray

I couldn't wait for the formula to be released, so I Googled "Aluminum Paint" and ordered some. I'm betting its not the right stuff, but if it shows me "In Person" that it works I will wait for the real formula to be revealed.

GOOD WORK!!!!!