Just Checking in on the New Black Widow Formula - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-13, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Just Checking in on the New Black Widow Formula

Hey guys just checking in on whether you have found anything yet on creating a perfect Black Widow mix due to the new AAA-F!! I am needing to re-paint my screen and have been waiting to see if you guys have come up with something. I painted it with a mix Sherwin Williams "Grey Screen" and mixed some new AAA-F in with it. I really am not seeing a drastic difference in picture quality or contrast in ambient light conditions. My projector isn't the best but its not bad...Sanyo PLV-Z5. I am in the process of switching it out for either the Epson 5020 or the Panasonic AE8000 soon, maybe that will change everything...lol. Please keep me in the loop so I can get rolling when you come out with the altered mix.

Thanks,

aiwa2child
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-13, 09:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Just Checking in on the New Black Widow Formula

Quote:
aiwa2child wrote: View Post
Hey guys just checking in on whether you have found anything yet on creating a perfect Black Widow mix due to the new AAA-F!! I am needing to re-paint my screen and have been waiting to see if you guys have come up with something. I painted it with a mix Sherwin Williams "Grey Screen" and mixed some new AAA-F in with it. I really am not seeing a drastic difference in picture quality or contrast in ambient light conditions. My projector isn't the best but its not bad...Sanyo PLV-Z5. I am in the process of switching it out for either the Epson 5020 or the Panasonic AE8000 soon, maybe that will change everything...lol. Please keep me in the loop so I can get rolling when you come out with the altered mix.

Thanks,

aiwa2child
How much of the new AAA-F did you add to the 'Gray Screen'? Also, you wouldn't see a "drastic" difference (at least by my definition of drastic), but it should be noticeable without looking hard.

From my limited testing of the new AAA-F I would say that the aluminum particles in it are a bit smaller than those in the old AAA-F. I will test higher ratios of the new AAA-F to base paints this time around.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-13, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

The SW Grey Screen mix was basically the same as the old Black Widow mix. I had a quart of SW Grey screen and mixed it with 8 oz of the newer AAA-F. Its what I had and I was between a rock and a hard place needing to get the theater up and running for a birthday party so I mixed it like that. When I say drastic picture difference I mean I still need to put my projector on Vivid or Dynamic to really be able to watch a movie with the lights on or one of the windows open. The main reason I was trying to do the Black Widow mix is because I don't want to run my projector at either of those settings, its really hard on it and I go through lamps like nobody's business. I know I need a new projector and that's on the horizon, and these new projectors I am looking at produce a minimum of 2200 lumens on the lowest setting while my current projector is somewhere around 1000 lumens on vivid or dynamic and 800 lumens on Brilliant Cinema, which is where I want to always run my projector. Not to mention my Sanyo PLV-Z5 is only 720P so a newer projector will probably make a night and day difference not only on contrast, color brightness and overall sharpness but with ambient light conditions as well.

Another problem that came up when painting my screen was I used a high quality primer first and put two coats down. My screen is a 16:9 aspect ratio so I painted up and down on it (short paint runs). There are two spots where the paint did not take to the MDF board. Its hard to explain but its like the paint is there but its a rough couple area where the paint might not have fully embedded itself in the MDF board. Do you think when I repaint it that I should prime it again, then this time paint it the long way (left and right)? I have been using a 1/4" nap roller on a painters extendable rod so it really wasn't a problem and I wasn't leaving vertical lines. I have the ability to take down the screen and place it on saw horses and remove the black border easily. The area that is the problem really only shows up when white is displayed on screen then it is really noticeable. Do recommend sanding it with high grit paper then priming it? Kinda lost at the moment.

Thanks for the help

post #4 of 5 Old 06-27-13, 01:26 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
aiwa2child wrote: View Post
The SW Grey Screen mix was basically the same as the old Black Widow mix. I had a quart of SW Grey screen and mixed it with 8 oz of the newer AAA-F. Its what I had and I was between a rock and a hard place needing to get the theater up and running for a birthday party so I mixed it like that. When I say drastic picture difference I mean I still need to put my projector on Vivid or Dynamic to really be able to watch a movie with the lights on or one of the windows open. The main reason I was trying to do the Black Widow mix is because I don't want to run my projector at either of those settings, its really hard on it and I go through lamps like nobody's business. I know I need a new projector and that's on the horizon, and these new projectors I am looking at produce a minimum of 2200 lumens on the lowest setting while my current projector is somewhere around 1000 lumens on vivid or dynamic and 800 lumens on Brilliant Cinema, which is where I want to always run my projector. Not to mention my Sanyo PLV-Z5 is only 720P so a newer projector will probably make a night and day difference not only on contrast, color brightness and overall sharpness but with ambient light conditions as well.
The 'Gray Screen'/AAA-F mix would be a bit lighter in shade than the old BW™ so if that mix is producing too dim an image in the projector mode you want to use about all you can do is go with a lighter shade of gray or try to increase the gain of the mix. By going with a lighter gray (such as Glidden 'Snowfield') you will increase image brightness, but lose some black level. If you increase mix gain by using a glossier base finish or adding more reflective agent you stand the chance of introducing some graininess to the image and, of course, having a smaller viewing cone (which might not matter if only two or three people are viewing the image and setting close together).

Quote:
Another problem that came up when painting my screen was I used a high quality primer first and put two coats down. My screen is a 16:9 aspect ratio so I painted up and down on it (short paint runs). There are two spots where the paint did not take to the MDF board. Its hard to explain but its like the paint is there but its a rough couple area where the paint might not have fully embedded itself in the MDF board. Do you think when I repaint it that I should prime it again, then this time paint it the long way (left and right)? I have been using a 1/4" nap roller on a painters extendable rod so it really wasn't a problem and I wasn't leaving vertical lines. I have the ability to take down the screen and place it on saw horses and remove the black border easily. The area that is the problem really only shows up when white is displayed on screen then it is really noticeable. Do recommend sanding it with high grit paper then priming it? Kinda lost at the moment.

Thanks for the help
It sounds to me like the problem area of the screen has a different texture than the rest of the MDF sheet. The only answer I can think of is to lightly sand that area and apply more screen paint (or primer if needed). Shine a light at a shallow angle to the screen surface and look for any surface irregularities. You don't need a "baby bottom" smooth surface, but you do need one that has a consistent texture. The higher the gain of the screen mix the more need for a consistent texture.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-04-13, 05:48 PM
Shackster

I'm still using an old Sanyo PLV-Z5 projector too. One of the LCD panels just died so I need to replace it soon. That's part of the reason I joined the forum. I want to see which projector I should purchase next. I'm currently using the Z5 with reference white screen goo. I will likely switch to a high contrast or max contrast for my next projector.