Best N9 paint mix ? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 39 Old 12-17-13, 01:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Best N9 paint mix ?

Quote:
randyc1 wrote: View Post
Can SW Ice Cube ,be a replacement for the (Valspar that i cant get here) in the C&S Ultra mix?
No, the base for C&S Ultra needs to be as white as possible with just a hint of magenta added to give mix color neutrality after the Liquitex BASICS Silver is added.

The base color you want for making C&S Ultra using Behr paint from Home Depot is 5/384 oz. of Magenta tint added to a QUART of #1850 (or equivalent). We don't have a base color formula for SW paints yet, but I'll try to find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 12-17-13, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

OK Harpmaker , i purchased the 16oz of liquidex Basics Silver and will check
Our local HD to see if they bave the Berh paint you mentioned Just to be sure ,What finish do i need ?

Thank you !!!!!!
post #13 of 39 Old 12-18-13, 08:17 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
OK Harpmaker , i purchased the 16oz of liquidex Basics Silver and will check
Our local HD to see if they bave the Berh paint you mentioned Just to be sure ,What finish do i need ?

Thank you !!!!!!
No problem, sorry I'm not on the forum as much as I used to be (I hope that will change soon).

The Behr #1850 is a manufacturer code for the paint that denotes the base color and finish all in one. Behr #1850 is a white base with a flat enamel finish that is about the same finish as the old Valspar Ultra Premium interior latex in flat enamel finish; they both provided just a bit extra gloss over a flat finish.

I see on homedepot.ca that #1850 paint is no longer listed, but your store may have some. What Behr is now pushing is their ULTRA paint which has the code number #1750. You can use this paint in a pinch. but people have had more problems rolling it without getting roller marks than when using the #1850; perhaps thinning with a bit more water would work.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/prem...e-946ml/924124

I haven't used the CIL paints HD sells so I can't recommend or not recommend them.

You can use just a can of the #1850 or #1750 without adding any color to it and still get a pretty good C&S Ultra screen, but the result will be more color neutral if you have the store add 5/384 ounce of Magenta tint to the quart of #1850. The HD tint code for Magenta used to be "V", but that may have changed.

post #14 of 39 Old 12-18-13, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I really appreciate all your help !!

Just got back from HD . The tint is now VL, I asked why the L and the saleswomen thinks its more concentrated ???
Color does not say Magenta , ...says Violet ??? # (46914Z).

I will take pics from H.D of Base and Tint in a few days and post them here just to be sure I have everything right ok

And 5/384 means 5 drops out of 384? Right ?

Thanks Harpmaker !
post #15 of 39 Old 12-19-13, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

After calling Behr Canada we can no longer get the UPW in the Flat Enamel finish ,...only Eggshell or Flat (Flat Enamel being in between).

Here we have 1050-Flat or 2050-Eggshell. I've read the Eggshell hotspots!!

...I guess i might have to drive to burlington for a Lowe's and get the New Valspar paint ?

Last edited by randyc1; 12-19-13 at 10:37 AM.
post #16 of 39 Old 12-19-13, 12:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Just got back from HD . The tint is now VL, I asked why the L and the saleswomen thinks its more concentrated ???
Color does not say Magenta , ...says Violet ??? # (46914Z).
OK, that is weird, the colors violet and magenta are not the same; magenta has both violet and red in it.

Quote:
I will take pics from H.D of Base and Tint in a few days and post them here just to be sure I have everything right ok
That may work, but it's problematic getting true colors from a photo of a color. The best thing to do is to send me a 1" painted sample to measure with my spectro.

Quote:
And 5/384 means 5 drops out of 384? Right ?
There are 384 drops per fluid ounce of tint in HD's tinting machines. Lowe's uses 768 drops per fl. oz. and most other paint stores using the old manual tinting system use 96 drops per fl. oz. (they sometimes call 1/96th fl. oz. a half-drop).

Quote:
After calling Behr Canada we can no longer get the UPW in the Flat Enamel finish ,...only Eggshell or Flat (Flat Enamel being in between).

Here we have 1050-Flat or 2050-Eggshell. I've read the Eggshell hotspots!!
It sounds like your best bet is to simply use the UPW 1050 in flat finish. The C&S Ultra made with that paint will have slightly less gain, but you would literally need to do a side-by-side comparison to tell the difference, most of the gain from C&S Ultra comes from the BASICS Silver.

Quote:
...I guess i might have to drive to burlington for a Lowe's and get the New Valspar paint ?
I wouldn't bother if it's a long trip.
post #17 of 39 Old 12-19-13, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ok now that i've found out that Ontario has Lowes stores , i called one to see if they had "Valspar Ultra Premium Super Flat Finish" ,.. They dont, but they have "Valspar Ultra Interior Flat "

They have Base A instead of Base 1, which is for adding tint.

Would this work ??
post #18 of 39 Old 12-19-13, 09:40 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Ok now that i've found out that Ontario has Lowes stores , i called one to see if they had "Valspar Ultra Premium Super Flat Finish" ,.. They dont, but they have "Valspar Ultra Interior Flat "

They have Base A instead of Base 1, which is for adding tint.

Would this work ??
Valspar Ultra has replaced the Valspar Ultra Premium, and a finish called Super Flat has replaced the Flat Enamel, but it can be hard to find the Super Flat since I think Lowe's finally determined it was one of the stupidest finish names in the world (most would think it was flatter than a flat finish and not more glossy). This whole replacement mess with Valspar Ultra is the main reason we have gone to recommending using Valspar Signature paint in matte finish (which while a bit more expensive has the same gloss as the old flat enamel).

Valspar Ultra in flat finish would be much like Behr UPW #1050 in gloss rating.

Yes, Base A is the same as the old Base 1.
post #19 of 39 Old 12-19-13, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I completelly missed the Signature recommendation with all the confusion and bought the one i mentioned.
Ordered it over the phone and sister from toronto is picking it up before she leaves for my place in Montreal !

(most would think it was flatter than a flat finish and not more glossy).

Yes your right , i bought the flat because it thought it would be LESS flat than Super Flat !!!

OK , so now i need the "Signature matte finish" ,base A with the tint 115-.67.

I'm gonna get this right eventually Harpmaker !!!

Thanks

Last edited by randyc1; 12-20-13 at 12:34 AM.
post #20 of 39 Old 12-21-13, 10:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
I completelly missed the Signature recommendation with all the confusion and bought the one i mentioned.
Ordered it over the phone and sister from toronto is picking it up before she leaves for my place in Montreal !

(most would think it was flatter than a flat finish and not more glossy).

Yes your right , i bought the flat because it thought it would be LESS flat than Super Flat !!!

OK , so now i need the "Signature matte finish" ,base A with the tint 115-.67.

I'm gonna get this right eventually Harpmaker !!!

Thanks
If you got the Valspar Ultra in flat it will still work fine unless you literally need all the gain you can get without hot spotting.