Best N9 paint mix ? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 39 Old 02-15-14, 09:12 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Best N9 paint mix ?

Quote:
randyc1 wrote: View Post
Ok great Harpmaker !

Iv'e been preparing my new HT room for the Projector setup and will be finally painting the C&S Ultra screen on my Sintra board next week !!!

I remember you mentioning somewhere the clean Sintra before painting, but im not sure if it was with Rubbing Alcohol , could you please remind me with what product to clean the Sintra before ??

Thanks again , i will post results !!
Rubbing alcohol may work, but be SURE there is no oil or wintergreen fragrance in it - those work great for actually rubbing a person, but NOT for cleaning a screen before painting. For that reason I highly suggest getting a bottle of regular isopropyl alcohol which is rubbing alcohol without anything else in it. It comes in bottles of 70% and of 91%. For your use I don't think it matters much which one you get. Also be sure that whatever cloth you use to apply the alcohol is clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 02-15-14, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ok thanks !!
post #33 of 39 Old 02-25-14, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ok so my Sintra has been painted with the C&S Ultra, Still hanging in garage , letting it cure for fews days.

Just curious to know if Plain white Sintra has ever been measured ? , and how it would compare to the C&S ??
Attached Thumbnails
Best N9 paint mix ?-image-17974507.jpg  

post #34 of 39 Old 02-25-14, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

OK thanks Mechman , so i guess im just a tad darker than the Sintra .
post #35 of 39 Old 03-19-14, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Finally got my screen installed with the C&S Ultra. Pictures taken in Natural Eco mode. Screen is 118.5 wide. Picture looks fantastic !

Thanks Mechman and Harpmaker for all your help !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Best N9 paint mix ?-image-277415138.jpg  

Best N9 paint mix ?-image-795361663.jpg  

Best N9 paint mix ?-image-846115329.jpg  

Best N9 paint mix ?-image-3639739381.jpg  

Best N9 paint mix ?-image-3273746477.jpg  

Last edited by randyc1; 03-19-14 at 06:51 AM.
post #36 of 39 Old 03-19-14, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Looks good!
Looks better in person , took pics with Iphone ?
post #37 of 39 Old 04-14-16, 01:46 PM

Hello all. I'm new here.
I couldn't resist picking up the paint recommended in this thread. Ended up buying a gallon of valspar signature flat white (A) with magenta 115 2.68 tint added. I bought 5 4oz tubes of silver paint to mix.
I have a new sprayit sp33000 lvlp sprayer to paint a nice flat layer. Unfortunately it came with only a 1.3mm needle. I have a 2.0 on order.
Anyone have any luck spraying this paint with a lvlp sprayer? if so, any luck with a 1.3mm needle?
post #38 of 39 Old 05-11-16, 03:41 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Thecure wrote: View Post
Hello all. I'm new here.
I couldn't resist picking up the paint recommended in this thread. Ended up buying a gallon of valspar signature flat white (A) with magenta 115 2.68 tint added. I bought 5 4oz tubes of silver paint to mix.
I have a new sprayit sp33000 lvlp sprayer to paint a nice flat layer. Unfortunately it came with only a 1.3mm needle. I have a 2.0 on order.
Anyone have any luck spraying this paint with a lvlp sprayer? if so, any luck with a 1.3mm needle?
I can't speak for that particular sprayer, but I have been using a Wagner Opti-Stain which is advertised as using something like a 0.7mm-0.8mm tip and simpy mixing a relatively small amount of water into the paint mix (since these are all water-based paints) seems to do the trick.

In my situation with somewhat thin cheapo paint (ColorPlace brand wall-paint is one of the thinner brands) but also what sounds like a thinner spray-gun tip, adding about 6oz-water per quart of paint keeps the gun from acting sputtery.
Thinning the paint with a bit of water like this can also help the results lay and dry a little smoother/flatter which is helpful for screens...the only really danger is if you get the paint too thin it'll drip/run/sag on the wall which often looks terrible if there's metallic in the mix since it'll highlight the surface flaws.

If possible, I'd suggest testing small amounts of your mix in your gun on a smooth cheap surface you can prop or hang upright..this will let you see how much water you can add to your paint before it runs/sags and also let you test how much you'll need to add to allow it to flow smoothly through the gun.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #39 of 39 Old 04-29-17, 12:13 AM
Shackster

Great source of information you all have here, I was wondering if anyone knows of an N9 mix that I can do in Pittsburgh or Dutchboy paint (Colorpalace is also available locally but I assume would be the lowest quality.