Best N9 paint mix ? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 39 Old 12-14-13, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Best N9 paint mix ?

Is Cream & Sugar Still one of the best N9 mixes out there ?

Is there a big difference in Gain between (C&S)N9 and a (off the shelf )N9

What is best Gain white paint ??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-14-13, 11:24 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Best N9 paint mix ?

Quote:
randyc1 wrote: View Post
Is Cream & Sugar Still one of the best N9 mixes out there ?
Yes, C&S Ultra is one of the best high gain, wide viewing angle N9 solutions available. However, if time or money is short then a N9 Valspar paint in eggshell finish probably would be a close second choice. We have not compared these two side-by-side and we should, but we do this stuff as a hobby and of late Mech and I have had little time to do so.

Quote:
Is there a big difference in Gain between (C&S)N9 and a (off the shelf )N9
Honestly, this is very subjective. What one person might call a "big difference" other might think is trivial. In numbers, C&S Ultra has an on-axis gain of about 1.0; a flat N9 paint would have around 0.8. More about this on the next answer.

Quote:
Literally the highest gain white paint would be one in glossy finish. This would make a terrible screen because it would hot spot like crazy. The less glossy the finish the less the hot spotting would be, but the lower the on-axis gain would be as well. This is why we usually recommend only using flat or matte paints as screen paint - most paints in higher gloss finishes produce too much hot spotting (except for the Valspar eggshell).

Another problem is color neutrality. Most white paints are not neutral in color and in fact are quite "warm" in that they push reds and yellows. This can usually be corrected by calibrating the PJ, but doing so may cost you some lumens.

The best white paint we have found is Glidden Professional Diamond 450 No VOC in Velvet Matte finish. This paint is neutral in color and one of the brighter whites available. The only problem is that it can be hard to find and is fairly expensive. Even though it is called a "matte" finish it has a similar gloss level as Valspar paints in eggshell finish. While we haven't tested this paint for gain I would expect it to be slightly above 1.0 and yet have a wide viewing cone.

The next white paint I would recommend is Glidden Premium GLN9000 from Home Depot in flat finish. This paint would have less gain that the first one because it has less gloss, but it has been measured as having the same brightness and neutrality as the Glidden Professional. It is also very inexpensive.

Quote:
Thanks!
No problem.
post #3 of 39 Old 12-14-13, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Thank you very much Harpmaker !!

I think i might try either White or "C&S ultra" , I hope i can find the excact paints needed for this mix .

Is the "Black Widow Ultra" also a N9 mix.

I might try making a frame which i can flip-over the Sitra board , one for night viewing ,white or N9 and maybe a darker version for ambient light viewing ?

Last edited by randyc1; 12-14-13 at 11:58 PM.

post #4 of 39 Old 12-15-13, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Can't seem to find any "Valspar" paint here in Quebec Canada ??
post #5 of 39 Old 12-15-13, 01:20 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
I think i might try either White or "C&S ultra" , I hope i can find the excact paints needed for this mix .

Can't seem to find any "Valspar" paint here in Quebec Canada ??
The Behr #1850 paint used to be very close to the Valspar, but I don't think it is available in CA either! Drat! What latex paint brands are available to you? Please provide links to them if you can. I'll try to find data sheets for them and compare them to the Valspar paint.

Quote:
Is the "Black Widow Ultra" also a N9 mix.
That is a good question and one I can't answer just yet. Mech tried mixing the new AAA-F with a white paint and got a N8.5 while another member here mixed it to his brand of white paint and got a N9.4. I got some samples of white paint I'll be mixing with AAA-F to try to find out what is going on.

Quote:
I might try making a frame which i can flip-over the Sitra board , one for night viewing ,white or N9 and maybe a darker version for ambient light viewing ?
That would work, but gray screens work will in the dark too.
post #6 of 39 Old 12-15-13, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
The Behr #1850 paint used to be very close to the Valspar, but I don't think it is available in CA either! Drat! What latex paint brands are available to you? Please provide links to them if you can. I'll try to find data sheets for them and compare them to the Valspar paint.

That is a good question and one I can't answer just yet. Mech tried mixing the new AAA-F with a white paint and got a N8.5 while another member here mixed it to his brand of white paint and got a N9.4. I got some samples of white paint I'll be mixing with AAA-F to try to find out what is going on.

That would work, but gray screens work will in the dark too.

There are Home Depot's here, so i think i have access to "Glidden" and "Behr",.. we have "Sherwin William's" stores also .

Yes ,i remember someone reading N9.4 for the Black Widow Ultra also ??

My original thread is : "Where do I begin" which has (Pictures of room) that will be painted darker.

Thanks so much for your advise and experience !!
post #7 of 39 Old 12-15-13, 03:19 PM
HTS Moderator

Quote:

Thanks!
I have only tested 5 or 6 different brands (i believe Harp and Mech have tested many many more..).

From my little experience, i would say definately this one:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...inishes-2.html

(spectro readings)

And here are the reflective readings.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...o-screens.html

(post 5)

I believe its gain is 1.
post #8 of 39 Old 12-15-13, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Thanks Yiannis .
post #9 of 39 Old 12-16-13, 06:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
There are Home Depot's here, so i think i have access to "Glidden" and "Behr",.. we have "Sherwin William's" stores also .
A N9 that Home Depot can make is the True Value color "Winter Mist". Don't know if you can get the Behr #1850 in CA anymore or not, the last I heard people were having trouble.

A decent Sherwin-Williams N9 is "Ice Cube". In SW paints I would use their "Duration" paint in matte finish.

Quote:
Thanks so much for your advise and experience !!
Glad to (hopefully) be of help.
post #10 of 39 Old 12-17-13, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
A N9 that Home Depot can make is the True Value color "Winter Mist". Don't know if you can get the Behr #1850 in CA anymore or not, the last I heard people were having trouble.

A decent Sherwin-Williams N9 is "Ice Cube". In SW paints I would use their "Duration" paint in matte finish.

Glad to (hopefully) be of help.
Can SW Ice Cube ,be a replacement for the (Valspar that i cant get here) in the C&S Ultra mix?