Black Widow or Black Widow Ultra and what is the best for me and a PT-AE8000 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 14 Old 01-28-14, 02:39 AM
HTS Moderator

Re: Black Widow or Black Widow Ultra and what is the best for me and a PT-AE8000

Quote:
Pyrometman wrote: View Post
Yes, that is also true...and some projectors are designed better than others to keep dust out of the light path...but it's always a good idea to keep it clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 01-28-14, 09:17 AM
Shackster

Jason

Re: Black Widow or Black Widow Ultra and what is the best for me and a PT-AE8000

Quote:
darbid wrote: View Post
Thank you Pyrometman for your formula that sounds good. There is one variable that I don't see in your calculation and that is the distance to the screen? Am I missing something here?

Also I have a burning question or decision to make and that is what paint to use or would be suitable and I am hoping to get opinions. As I wrote above it appears I have access to both old and new AAA-F and I have already bought two different base paints so what in you opinion is the best course of action?
darbid,

The throw distance isn't necessary for calculation of the Footlamberts. It is only needed to calculate how wide your image will be, based on the throw ratio range of your projector.

However, it is in your interest to have as long a throw as possible. Based on what you have stated for your room/ambient lighting conditions, you may want to choose a light gray screen, maybe N9 that has some specular reflectivity as well to bring the gain back to around 1.0. The long throw distance helps because the use of screens that have some specular reflectivity will not direct light back to you if the throw distance is very short. The reason for that is because the angles become greater, particularly to the bottom corners (ceiling mounted setup). The light in the corners is not reflected back to you as much as in the center and you start to see less brightness uniformity across the screen. You may want to research the Cream&Sugar DIY solution found here in this forum. You should also get input from others as well as someone may have a better solution. More input is always helpful to weigh the positives and negatives.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-28-14, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
David

Ok thank you. This is all new to me.

So I have bought already (about N7.9) (RAL7038) - I was thinking I would need something darker. I also have the old Black Widow base paint. I can add AAA-F to both to increase the reflectivity that you talk about. So is the Original Black Widow base paint going to be more than N7.9?

PS. Actually I am surprised that you are suggesting something so light. On my reading N7.9 is around the Veil grey which is what is suggested in most cases.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-28-14, 02:52 PM
Shackster

Jason

Quote:
darbid wrote: View Post
Ok thank you. This is all new to me.

So I have bought already (about N7.9) (RAL7038) - I was thinking I would need something darker. I also have the old Black Widow base paint. I can add AAA-F to both to increase the reflectivity that you talk about. So is the Original Black Widow base paint going to be more than N7.9?

PS. Actually I am surprised that you are suggesting something so light. On my reading N7.9 is around the Veil grey which is what is suggested in most cases.
I think the original Black Widow was around N7.5 but with a gain of 0.88. It might be a bit dim for the screen size you wanted to achieve...assuming you set your projector on one of the lower lumen settings to get a better image and longer lamp life. If you choose to use a different setting (higher output), then perhaps you can recalculate your expected Footlamberts and use a darker gray paint. I think most people like to achieve 15 or greater Footlamberts.