Yet another Newbie, Budget Home Theater Advice - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 11-13-14, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yet another Newbie, Budget Home Theater Advice

Hello All,

This is a repost I posted on AVS. At the risk of redundancy, I assumed some but not all view one or the other exclusively, and for a novice like myself, the more insight the better.

Building a new home scheduled for completion in March. There is a 15ft wide by 18 ft deep flex room I have stamped as the media room. The ceiling is 10 ft tall, but has a slope at 8ft on the rear and projection wall, leaving me only 8 ft for a screen and components. It has one window, which will be covered with this curtains to black it out. As far as lighting, it has its traditional dome light in the center that will be seldom used.

I have opted to have most lighting away from the screen, towards the back of the room. I have 2 recessed lights just beyond the slope in the rear placed to provide low level light to both the seating area and dry bar which will be on the rear wall.

As for the projector and screen, as I said, this is definitely on a smaller budget than what I've seen on here, but I'm hoping it will provide a feasible experience.
Projector :
BenQ GP20 LED lamp DLP http://www.benq.us/product/projector...projector/GP20

Screen: (this is where I could use some serious advice)
Of these 4 choices I've studied I'll place them in terms of affordability, and hopefully you can place them in terms of quality of marriage with the PJ selected. Or if you have a better suggestion, I'm open Ive already received a chime in from ftoast, ckronengold and others, but figured I'd open the floor with my design in mind.

1. Ultra Flat White or Behr SS
2.Cream and Sugar Ultra
3. Black Widow PFG
4. RS-MaxxMudd LL v.2.1
5. S-I-L-V-E-R

Ideally I'd like to paint directly onto the drywall,preferably roll (but spraying is not completely out of the question) and just build a border around it. But i'm open to low cost material that won't weigh the wall down too bad.

Seating:
Using the calculator on BenQ's website for this PJ, for the screen size I'd want (no larger than 106), the PJ should be b/w 9 and 10ft from the screen wall. With that said, my seats (due to clearance for the dry bar) will be about 11 feet from the screen wall. It is a row of 4 Klaussner seats (42" seatback) with a slight curve. With the seats being 11ft back and and only having 8ft height to work with on the screen wall, given my seating height, how high should the screen be?

My question is, is this optimal for the equipment being used? Wall color will be a dark flat grey on the 3 border walls and black on the projector screen wall and ceiling, so hopefully light bouncing will be limited.

If any money is left over I'd like to improve upon my sound quality in the room by building some DIY acoustic panels, but for now, I'll take it one project at a time. I realize I'm prob asking a lot. Again, I truly appreciate any insight you can afford to a novice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-14, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Yet another Newbie, Budget Home Theater Advice

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I'd go with 1 or 2. You don't have very many lumens to spare. 4 and 5 would be good choices if you enjoy hot spots.
Thanks for the advice mechman. So the Liquitex Silver in C&S Ultra won't give me hot spotting?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-14, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Nope.
Thanks. Last question. How much of a difference in quality will I see in going from an Ultra matte white or Behr SS to the C&S ultra? Significant enough to go that route?

post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-14, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Define significant. You should see a slight improvement in blacks and a slight hit on the whites.

Honestly, I'd stick with the matte white and stay away from anything gray outside of C&S Ultra™.
Cool, thanks again. I guess by significant I mean seeing a huge difference in the 2 due to the silver additive. But if I'm better off with the white, then no need to really bother with mixes given my environment.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-24-14, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Define significant. You should see a slight improvement in blacks and a slight hit on the whites.

Honestly, I'd stick with the matte white and stay away from anything gray outside of C&S Ultra™.
One last question sir, I ran across an older thread on Elektra. What are your thought on it performing equal or better in my environment?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-14, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Ok I guess I had it confused with something else. Elektra was a viable mix back in it's day, but the Craft Smart Metallic Silver changed from what I remember so it is no longer a valid formula.
Cool thx, I think I'll go with a half and half test of the C&S and UW and see which I like best for my taste.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-15, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok, so its been a while. I've finally gotten my media project under way. Here are the specs

-15 wide by 18 deep
-walls and ceiling are dark grey
-BenQ GP20 700 lumen LED projector
-Traditional dome light center of the room
-2 recess can lights in the rear that shine on the dry bar

I've started my quest for screen paint and needed a little help. What I have samples of on the wall so far:
-(carl's)BOC
-(Carl's) FlexiWhite and FlexiGray
-(Carl's) ProWhite and ProGray

I initially thought I would watch most things with all lights off, however, I sometimes find myself with the rear recess lighting on. My initial impression was that the ProGray was the best fit, however, it seems to lose something on whites and even other colors. My question is, given my specs, what could you recommend that would still reject the ambient light well enough for me to leave the recess lights on, but still keep favorable whites? I know alot of mixes require spraying, but i'd much prefer to roll if possible. I would more than likely roll the flexiwhite or BOC from Carls.