Black Widow Ultra with BenQ HT1075 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 03-03-15, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Black Widow Ultra with BenQ HT1075 (newbie questions)

Hi, I am new to this forum and very thankful to all the contributors that have made such a great resource. After expending a couple of days reading about the subtleties of proper color reproduction, I would like to ask for some advise before painting the screen. I am converting from HDTV to projection for my HT, below is my setup:

Projector: BenQ HT1075
Brightness: 2200 lumens
Contrast(Full On/Off): 10,000:1

Sources: AppleTV, Sony Bluray, ATSC tuner; all HDMI via Yamaha RX-V475 receiver

Screen substrate: 1/2" Gator Board White
Screen dimensions: 80" by 45" (92" Diagonal) 16:9 aspect ratio
Throw distance: 10'-12' (I plan to ceiling mount the projector)

Light control: average
* Night viewing: fireplace on at night, all other lights off
* Day viewing: some light leaks through window frame blind gaps, ceiling lights maybe on. For sports, like soccer matches, I prefer to have the windows open.

Room floor plan:
Black Widow Ultra with BenQ HT1075-htfloorplan.jpg

Room with blinds closed:
Black Widow Ultra with BenQ HT1075-windows_close.jpg

Room with blinds open:
Black Widow Ultra with BenQ HT1075-windows_open.jpg

Room with the gator board temporarily mounted:
Black Widow Ultra with BenQ HT1075-temp_screen.jpg

From my understanding, the HT1075 projector maybe too bright for my room and the viewing experience would benefit of using an OTS gray neutral. However, since I have some average light control the Black Widow Ultra maybe a better choice to deal with the ambient light. Finally, I plan to have ISF calibration done by a pro.

My questions:

1. Is it better to roll or spray? I have never use a spray, but the Preval system seems easy enough and cost effective.

2. Is it necessary to prime the Gator Board substrate?

2. Do I need measure the projector/room actual light output to decide on the gray shade for the paint? If so, how?

3. What paint to use? I can easily obtain SW, BM, Glidden, and Valspar. The room walls are painted with BM 1468 "Willow Creek" egg shell (R:160.89 G:155.15 B:148.07). For the screen, I am considering the paints below. These should be near Munsell N8, should I go darker?
BM 1612 (199.34 201.77 202.34) #C7CACA

SW 6260 Unique Gray (205.27 202.86 205.95) #CDCBCE

SW 7071 Gray Screen (198.72 202.83 202.73) #C7CBCB

Yiannis1970 mix (Post #103 of the Black Widow Ultra™ Development thread)
BM 1459 (202.23 200.17 197.74)
BM 2133-60 SIDEWALK GRAY (200.82 202.99 205.46)

Glidden 00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8] - 190 190 189
4. I saw a post that an specific base (BAC colorant) is needed for SW. Is this the case for all the paints brands?

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by clearpixels; 03-03-15 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Change title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-04-15, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Black Widow Ultra with BenQ HT1075 (newbie questions)

Thanks for the guidance. I bought the AAA-F before the posting, so I am going to try both the BW Ultra and some OTS grays. I have noticed in some recent posts the comment of "don't bother with the BW Ultra." Would you mind explaining that sentiment? I thought the BW Ultra was the best projection paint mix currently possible. Am I mistaken?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-15, 09:38 AM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
clearpixels wrote: View Post
Thanks for the guidance. I bought the AAA-F before the posting, so I am going to try both the BW Ultra and some OTS grays. I have noticed in some recent posts the comment of "don't bother with the BW Ultra." Would you mind explaining that sentiment? I thought the BW Ultra was the best projection paint mix currently possible. Am I mistaken?
Every paint mix has to serve its purpose according to your needs. With 1075 you do not need any extra gain for your screen, instead you have to find a shade of gray that contains all that light. BW ultra would be a wise choice for projectors with less ''horse power'' or big big screens, let's say over 150''.

If you have access in Caparol paints, i would suggest Grau 15.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-07-15, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for explanation, I cannot find a source for Caparol paints near me. Is it a good a idea to get a paint match at SW or BM? Would their matches be near the original RGB values? I am planing to test both with and without AAA-F. I am hoping the N6 Black Window Ultra would work well for viewing with the blinds open and make whites whither for dark room viewing.

Last edited by clearpixels; 03-07-15 at 12:14 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-15, 12:34 PM
HTS Moderator

Re: Black Widow Ultra with BenQ HT1075

Haven't tested SW paints cause i don't have access in them. Maybe Mech or Don can help you more. As for B.M., you can work with 1460 Silver dollar as a base paint.