DIY 2.35:1 (117" diag.) AT Silk Screen Build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-15, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

DIY 2.35:1 (117" diag.) AT Silk Screen Build

I'm building my own screen as described in the subject. I've built the frame using 1x select pine, metal brackets and quarter round to hold the fabric away from the frame. It'll be on piano hinges so that I can rotate it up to get to the speakers behind the false wall. I'm using two layers of matte white milliskin. In all this screen will have cost me less than $200. This will also be my first time owning a projection system. In fact I've never seen one in person in a home! I can't wait to see an image this large in my home and feel the pride of building it all myself.

Here's where I'm at with the screen construction:
DIY 2.35:1 (117" diag.) AT Silk Screen Build-image-642813619.jpg

The frame is all built. I'm waiting to wrap it with the silk until after I get the HT finished to be sure I don't get it dirty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-15, 08:35 PM
Shackster

Re: DIY 2.35:1 (117" diag.) AT Silk Screen Build

Excellent work so far. Do you have any pictures of the back of the frame? I will be building my own frame soon and would like to see you you have it held together. Also, what is your attachment method going to be for the screen?
post #3 of 6 Old 04-06-15, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I will get some more pictures posted this coming weekend when I get some time to work on it again. It's basically just T-brackets and L-brackets I bought at Home Dustpan that holds the frame together and squares it up. And I'll be stapling the fabric right to the backside of the frame. I had purchased the screen door materials but decided not to use them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-15, 07:37 AM
Shackster

Ok, I've seen other screen frames with the same bracing so I know what you are talking about. I will definitely be interested to see how well stapling it to the frame works.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-15, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I think the key to stapling the fabric to the frame will be starting in the middle and working my way SLOWLY and carefully along the top edge, then do the same for the bottom edge and then each side, folding the corners like a present. At least that's my plan! I'll let you know how it goes. I plan on putting the staples as far to the edge of the fabric/inside of the frame as possible so that I leave enough fabric in case I don't like the stapled outcome. That way, if I do decide to give the screen door attachment method a try, I'll have enough fabric to do so. The good news is that I don't need to pull the fabric too tight, just taught so that the staples don't project wrinkles in the screen. We'll see!

post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-15, 04:08 PM
HTS Moderator

Leave it for a day or two to see if it's getting any loose. If so, you redo the staple work.

Nice job!