DIY screen help - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 04-26-15, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

DIY screen help

Hello all, I newly registered in the forum, but have been following it for quite sometime.

I recently set-up an FPJ system with Sony HW40ES and Black widow screen. I used Dulux GS1+AAA-F as my black widow mix.

As many reported, the contrast, color and black levels increased dramatically, but whites took a major hit in the projector's Reference preset profile.

Playing with the color temperature, I could get an acceptable image, but still the colors are a bit off if I do an A-B comparison. Wife very much preferred the bright image when I projected on the Forex sheet before painting.

I'm thinking of changing the paint to improve the whites/brightness. Before I go to a plain white paint like BM "Dove", I would like to know if C&S Ultra would be a good choice for me or even perhaps a spandex screen.

The room is dedicated, with dark shade walls. I would say a 90% light controlled....the remaining 10% is reflected light. The projector is about 14' away from the screen, projecting on a 98" 16:9 image CIW. I'm planning to go to 120" screen next. Below are my choices, in no particular order. Pls help me pick a good solution.

1. White Paint like BM or Glidden
2. C&S Ultra, if this would be better for my situation than going for white paint
3. Spandex white over silver screen.
4. I still have AAA bottles left. Should I use a lighter base paint than Dulux GS1 and redo BW ultra?

Thanks for helping me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-26-15, 03:15 PM
HTS Moderator

Re: DIY screen help

Hello and welcome to HTS.

Have you calibrated the projector or planning to do it in the near future? How many hours in the lamp?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-26-15, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks.

Did not calibrate it professionally, but I played with the settings and adjusted them as close as possible to what to my eyes appear as an acceptable image. As soon as I'm able to, I will add some photos to show the difference in color.

In meantime, can you comment on the GS1+AAA black widow compared to other base paints. Is there going to be some improvement by going for a lighter shade. What about C&S Ultra vs Black Widow in a low ambient light situation like mine.

Its a brand new projector, less than 30 hrs on the lamp.

Last edited by ugotvijay; 04-26-15 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added info

post #4 of 9 Old 04-26-15, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Post padded to start posting images

The attached shots were taken before and after painting the Forex sheets. White screen image (where you can see the measure tape under the screen) is Reference preset with D65 color temp and BWU is custom set-up with User 5 adjusted Color temp. The skin tone is quite off, as you can see and also the whites appear dull in general. I can't access the PJ right now. Will post actual settings when I can.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY screen help-bwu-screen.jpg  

DIY screen help-white-screen.jpg  

post #5 of 9 Old 04-26-15, 06:04 PM
HTS Moderator

Ok, let's take it from the start...

Usually i don't comment screenshots because there are so many factors to consider in order to come to a safe conclusion..but...from the 2 screenshots (which are not referring to the same frame) i can see more saturated colors on the first with better contrast and gamma. However, you can't judge correctly the skintone or the colors by examining a single frame of a movie (animation in this occasion) because you don't know how the director worked on that scene. Nevertheless, the first picture seems more equilibrated in terms of color precision probably because on the white screen the light is far far so much!!

On the other hand, i can't tell for sure which is better because don't know camera's settings or if these screenshots corresponding to what you see with your eyes.

The important thing here firstly is to determine projector's light output and then decide to pick a white or a gray paint for the screen.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-27-15, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
The important thing here firstly is to determine projector's light output and then decide to pick a white or a gray paint for the screen.
I know, you are right that its not easy to comment due to numerous variables. Unfortunately I don't have a cut sheet of the board without painting, to show in the same picture.

However, I'm interested in the above comment. Can you elaborate on what you mean by determine Projector's light output?
post #7 of 9 Old 04-27-15, 05:52 AM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
ugotvijay wrote: View Post
I know, you are right that its not easy to comment due to numerous variables. Unfortunately I don't have a cut sheet of the board without painting, to show in the same picture.

However, I'm interested in the above comment. Can you elaborate on what you mean by determine Projector's light output?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...e=Key-Features

High light output. The HW40ES is notable for its ability to produce a well-balanced video image at very high levels of brightness. With an ANSI lumen rating of 1700, the HW40ES doesn't sound very bright compared to some of the competition, but its brightest video modes produce upwards of 1400 lumens even after calibration. Reference mode, which is the projector's most accurate image mode before calibration, measures about 590 lumens even with the lamp set to Low and the zoom lens at its maximum telephoto setting.

The above means that if you opt for Reference Mode and low lamp, on a 120'' with gain 1 it will give you ~14 FL. 14FL are perfect for watching movies. For sports, you can change mode or set up your lamp to high mode. So, i believe a white paint will serve well your purposes on a 120'' screen.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-15, 03:48 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
ugotvijay wrote: View Post
Thanks.

Did not calibrate it professionally, but I played with the settings and adjusted them as close as possible to what to my eyes appear as an acceptable image. As soon as I'm able to, I will add some photos to show the difference in color.

In meantime, can you comment on the GS1+AAA black widow compared to other base paints. Is there going to be some improvement by going for a lighter shade. What about C&S Ultra vs Black Widow in a low ambient light situation like mine.

Its a brand new projector, less than 30 hrs on the lamp.
You might get a copy of Disney's World of Wonder DVD. Good DIY calibration disc. Another one is DVE HD Basics. Both are relatively easy to use. YMMV
post #9 of 9 Old 06-22-15, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
73shark wrote: View Post
You might get a copy of Disney's World of Wonder DVD. Good DIY calibration disc. Another one is DVE HD Basics. Both are relatively easy to use. YMMV
I downloaded the AVS HD709 calibration and tried it. I didn't like the IQ when I set it according to the instructions. So I skipped calibration and set to a level what looks pleasing to my eyes.

So far, I'm happy with the image. I guess I will only know what I'm missing if I do an A-B with another screen paint (which I intend to do very soon, for the greater good of mankind )