Screen Recommendation - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 01-05-16, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Screen Recommendation

Hi,

I'm a first time projector owner trying to set up the screen and the system. I bought a Sony vpl-hw40es and powered it up first time yesterday directly into a yellow painted wall. There are two settings I'd like to explore:

1 - Dedicated Theater Room.

- Lighting - controlled recessed lights that can be totally black out
- Screen size - 125" to 130" - This is the limit of the project's throw w/ maximum zoom dial. The room isn't very deep. Project sits 12 feet away.
- Sitting - People sit 9-11 feet away.

Screen Options:
1. Get a Silver Ticket 120" fixed screen (or other recommendations). This was the original idea before reading this forum. The con is it won't use all the size of the projecting image. 135 is too big and there is no 125" screen.

2. Paint the wall from yellow to white. I read about the Black Widow. Is pure white a better option than the black widow?

2 - Open Area room.

- Lighting - 99% controlled lighting - can go to almost black out except some lights from the left side. This is in the basement. It won't be the dedicated room. But there is a good wall that I can setup the projector if we decide to watch movie there.
- Screen - about 180-200" size. The room is deep and the screen size limit is by the wall.
- Sitting - we can sit as far back (or as close) as we want. Projector can be as far back as we want.

Screen Options:
- I think paint the wall is the only option. This open area won't be a dedicated room. We'll need to do some setup every time we watch movie here. The projector will be speaker tripod mounted. Should we go for white or black widow?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-16, 01:41 AM
Shackster

My System
Re: Screen Recommendation

Relative noob here, but I just bought the 120" Silver Ticket grey at a 13' distance. For a first-timer screen the Silver Ticket is fantastic. But you probably already knew that. I'm buying the silver material in a week or two when he stocks it to compare. I have skylights so until I craft a blackout mechanism I have daytime viewing issues.

Anywho, if you haven't already, Google for some viewing distance/screen size calculators. Standards say 120" at your viewing distance in the dedicated room is a bit big.

For example: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...calculator.htm

This is before any masking or decorations, or speakers!

Last edited by fogyreef; 01-07-16 at 01:51 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-16, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

What's the reason of choosing the grey vs. white? If I paint the wall, I can be flexible about the screen size as it would be controlled by the Sony zoom dial. What is the "silver material"?

I have all my speakers and subwoofer ready to go.

Quote:
fogyreef wrote: View Post
Relative noob here, but I just bought the 120" Silver Ticket grey at a 13' distance. For a first-timer screen the Silver Ticket is fantastic. But you probably already knew that. I'm buying the silver material in a week or two when he stocks it to compare. I have skylights so until I craft a blackout mechanism I have daytime viewing issues.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-16, 10:29 AM

Ron

My System

You could get a screen that is larger than you can use with your current projector, and then make some masking panels to get it down to the size you want now. Down the road you might end up with an upgraded projector that can give you a larger image at the same distance...then you won't need a bigger screen (unless it goes bigger than the actual screen size you have). One advantage to masking your screen is the wider black border gives you better contrast and pop.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-16, 10:55 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
parodielin wrote: View Post
What's the reason of choosing the grey vs. white? If I paint the wall, I can be flexible about the screen size as it would be controlled by the Sony zoom dial. What is the "silver material"?

I have all my speakers and subwoofer ready to go.
With a brighter room grey increases contrast by darkening the blacks where the whites aren't as effected as they're washed out with the light. The payment is lowering brightness in dark rooms where the whites are darkened by the grey. So it's a matter of your viewing environment.

The silver material is an "ambient light absorbing" screen. I'm buying only the "screen material", not the frame, so I can just swap it out the grey currently on my screen and see the difference. The material doesn't actually absorb light so much as it acts like a mirror. Theoretically only light coming from the projector bounces back to your eyes. Light from off angles like the skylight or a side window bounces at the angle of incidence. Think shining a flashlight into a mirror. It's not bright until it's reflected directly into your eyes. The payment there would be people sitting in the sweet spot get the full brightness where people off to the sides start experiencing diminishing brightness.

Reading the reviews and asking questions, however, seem to indicate the pros of the brighter screen outweighs the cons. It's cheap enough to experiment with, but I have to wait til late Jan to find out.

While waiting for the screen to arrive I actually taped up printer paper to make a 120" screen. Totally worked. Tape up a 2x2 square yourself in the middle of your screen and see the difference.

Watt, me worried?

Last edited by fogyreef; 01-08-16 at 03:26 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-16, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Finally completed the initial setup. I mounted the Sony on a speaker tripod. The tripod can support 100 lbs speaker but I don't feel very comfortable after using an ceiling mount adapter. The idea is that I can move the projector somewhere using speaker tripod. I can probably achieve the same thing using an ikea end table. The adjustment to get the screen right took some time. Screw and unscrew the projector mount is not fun. The Sony is 22 lbs and relatively big. It won't "sit tie" on the speaker tripod. I think a 7 lbs Benq probably fits better in the speaker tripod (Maybe I should buy another "portable" projector).

The maximum screen size based on the throw is 127". The room is a "cave" painted in light yellow-white color. I haven't done "WOW" disk calibrate the projector or did any adjustment (not that I know how to do it). It's using out of the box setting.

The other walls will have "some ambient" light due to the light coming from the projector. I'm sitting 12 feet from the screen.

Would paint the wall white help? (or should I go grey?) Paint the rest of the wall black could be a good idea but don't know if my wife would allow me to do that.

I found an article discussing 12 whites of Benjamin Moore paint. Looks like Cotton Balls OC-122 is the purest white. They no longer has 515.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-16, 10:52 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
parodielin wrote: View Post
Finally completed the initial setup. I mounted the Sony on a speaker tripod. The tripod can support 100 lbs speaker but I don't feel very comfortable after using an ceiling mount adapter. The idea is that I can move the projector somewhere using speaker tripod. I can probably achieve the same thing using an ikea end table. The adjustment to get the screen right took some time. Screw and unscrew the projector mount is not fun. The Sony is 22 lbs and relatively big. It won't "sit tie" on the speaker tripod. I think a 7 lbs Benq probably fits better in the speaker tripod (Maybe I should buy another "portable" projector).

The maximum screen size based on the throw is 127". The room is a "cave" painted in light yellow-white color. I haven't done "WOW" disk calibrate the projector or did any adjustment (not that I know how to do it). It's using out of the box setting.

The other walls will have "some ambient" light due to the light coming from the projector. I'm sitting 12 feet from the screen.

Would paint the wall white help? (or should I go grey?) Paint the rest of the wall black could be a good idea but don't know if my wife would allow me to do that.

I found an article discussing 12 whites of Benjamin Moore paint. Looks like Cotton Balls OC-122 is the purest white. They no longer has 515.
There are discussions all over about the merits of paiting, from ScreenGoo.com to homemade concoctions involving metalic paint ratios, etc. The screen goo is mentioned alongside the Silver Ticket review that made up my mind. I believe the review said the screen goo was technically a bit better. The painting (and sanding) is ultimately undone by repainting the room when you switch to a real screen. No harm, no foul.

You could go cheap and dirty and velcro black cloth/velvet from craft stores all over your walls on movie night. Unvelcro it when done.

The grey helps (a bit) if you are predominantly watching during the day, but you take a hit at night. It's all relative to your "phile-ness", or how demanding/astute you are. Don't expect grey or white to solve a problem, just mitigate it.

Read the reviews on the Silver Ticket silver screen. I just got word they're 4-6 weeks out on their delivery so you have some time. In the meantime, determine your main viewing time lighting scenario, hang a sheet, hang up printer paper (maybe print a black border too or use black tape, and be precise with matching the edges and corners to eliminate lines) or roll out some white paint concoction.

I personally went with the screen as spending time and energy on the concoctions and painting my wall was as "expensive" as the high-scoring Silver Ticket screen.

Watt, me worried?