Advice on painted wall screen - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 01-21-16, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Advice on painted wall screen

Found this forum and it seems the advice differs quite a lot from what AVS recommends, thought I would post here and see what recommendations you might have. Below is what I posted to AVS yesterday. Since then I was thinking of using the paint recommended by projector central from Sherwin Williams as it seems it will fill imperfections and hide a not so great painters work. I believe it is also easily cleanable. It looks like the projector is going to be a Viewsonic 7835.

"Hello,

I was all set to buy a silver ticket 150 screen until I found out I'm actually projecting much larger than 150 currently on the wall. While I might go for a 175 Based on the wall and the option go slightly bigger or smaller, I thought I might try painting the screen on the wall. Currently the wall is just a normal wall that is light beige and I've been projecting on it for over a year since my wife wouldn't let me put up my motorized 135 inch screen. Frankly, I can't tell the difference, it looks fine to me on the wall as is aside from the one or two black marks on the wall that interfere slightly with the picture.

So I'm thinking of painting it, but I'm no drywall wizard and the last time we tried sanding, dust was all over the house so basically I'm looking for something relatively simple and easy that I can just roll on and have a decent picture. I wouldn't be opposed to using a cheap sprayer, but I'd like to stay away from anything that is going to cause a problem if not applied just right. Ideally something with a little bit of gain would be nice. Does anything like this exist?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-16, 02:35 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Advice on painted wall screen

You've come to the right place. What is your throw distance, light output & how is the ambient lighting in the room?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-16, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
You've come to the right place. What is your throw distance, light output & how is the ambient lighting in the room?
Throw distance will be around 14-15 feet. Its will likely be a viewsonic 7835 projector to replace my aging optoma GT750 that needs to move off the floor. I can't find a lot of info on the 7835 but projector central did get calibrated brightness of 2300 lumens. In the event there are rainbows with this projector, I would go with the Benq ht1075 or 2050 and thats around 1700 lumens.

Usually I watch in the dark, but if I watch during the day there is a window above the front door where light comes in, the rest I can pretty much block out with curtains and such. However the family room is off the kitchen and dining room so I do have issues with the lights being on sometimes there if I can't get the wife out of those rooms.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-23-16, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

any thoughts on this?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-16, 04:46 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

The ambient light is the important factor. The more of it there is the darker your paint must be. It's' a trade off since the "dark" viewing favors a whiter screen. If it were me I would use something just a bit off white so you don't crush your blacks in dark conditions.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-16, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
The ambient light is the important factor. The more of it there is the darker your paint must be. It's' a trade off since the "dark" viewing favors a whiter screen. If it were me I would use something just a bit off white so you don't crush your blacks in dark conditions.
I found the colors used to paint the house before we move in. Walls are SW Duration Satin and currently I"m projecting onto 6119 Antique White. When there is light in the kitchen on or during the daytime, the screen gets washed out. I'm thinking duration in Matte sheen for the screen and Unique grey. I'm not sure if that is too dark.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-25-16, 06:18 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Get a sample, paint it on something, hang it on the wall & see how it preforms. If you need to go darker, get another sample & repaint. Keep trying until you are satisfied. This way you wont be wasting time & money doing the entire screen. You could even do 2, 3 or 4 shades at a time to compare them.