Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-16, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks.

Hello, i made the jump down that rabbit hole and finally purchased my first projector. I have wanted one for years but could never afford one, finally able to. I purchased an Epson 5030ub. I am interested in going the painted route for my screen. Option #1 = Paint wall itself. Option #2 = I am a union sheet metal worker and I have access to ACM (Aluminum Composite Material) panels , in the size that i need and is 4mm thick, i plan on priming surface and then painting with Black Widow Ultra. Ideally id like to go with the acm panel, perfectly smooth and flat, paintable, rigid, durable (its made for the outside of buildings). I attached a hand drawn picture of my room situation. Hopefully its legible. The room is my living room and is not a dedicated theater room, we will be using PJ as TV as well. My walls are an off white, old paint , not really sure of exact color, just off white. If possible id like the screen to be fairly good at light rejecting, for daytime viewing and nightime tv viewing with light on AND if possible be awesome for movie night with all the lights off. 12' foot PJ throw. Tentatively would like a 111' screen, which is the biggest i can have with room size and projected wall size. If possible id love some input from you gurus on the correct base for my situation. Thank you for you assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks.-20160510_212204.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-11-16, 04:02 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks.

It's looks like you'll have the window/s under good control and the room is fairly closed off to the adjacent rooms that might otherwise give it trouble unless that hallway happens to hit the screen area with an abundance of light, I'd say you're in good shape for most of the direct light while the screen paint will help against the off-white wall/ceiling reflections of the image's light.

The lamp near the seats might want to invest in something like a ~$15 dimmer switch from a HomeDepot or similar store that simply plugs into the outlet and then the lamp is plugged into the little plug that has a dimmer-remote...unless the lamp is already dimmable.
You'll also need to swap the CFL bulb for either a plain halogen/incadescent OR a dimmable LED which can be found for ~$3 at most hardware or department stores.
Making that lamp dimmable will be a nice plus for having light AND better picture-quality at the same time.

Your screen-size will be about 36ft-square and your Epson will start with a brightness range from about 500lm-1700lm (THX-Eco/LivingRoom-FullLamp) with would put a 1.0gain screen at 14ftL-47ftL.
I haven't seen any measurements of the more recent BlackWidowUltimate's gain, so I can't speak for that, but it looks like you'll have the brightness to allow you to go fairly dark-colored if you wanted while the room situation should allow a more modest/subtle version if preferred.

Hopefully someone with a better grasp of BWU's gain/brightness will speak-up.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-16, 09:09 AM
HTS Moderator

Re: Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks.

Hello!!

Are you planning to calibrate the projector after several hours or you are going to use it in out of the box state?

post #4 of 8 Old 05-12-16, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for your responses. Yiannis, as of right now I just plan on going out of the box with the settings. I don't know how nor have the equipment to calibrate myself and don't want to spend the money right now to have someone else do it. I got to anxious and bought some valspar reserve eggshell granite grey and painted my textured wall, I think it looks great, other than the texturing being very obvious. It'll work until I can get that metal from work and get it painted with bwu.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks.-20160512_055255_1463065907912.jpg  

Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks.-20160511_195151_1463065940699.jpg  

Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks.-20160511_153238_hdr_1463065976011.jpg  

Hello, new here, asking for some assistance in picking correct BW mixture. Thanks.-20160511_152807_hdr_1463065995362.jpg  

post #5 of 8 Old 05-13-16, 06:32 AM
HTS Moderator

An excellent work Khayman, enjoy it!!

Maybe in the near furure you could think a masking system (curtains, or paint) for ceiling and lateral walls. The benefits on your image would be great.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-16, 07:04 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Yeah, the biggest issue I see is all the splash from the ceiling and the right wall. You might be well served by choosing a dark color for the right wall and getting in in a more matte finish... eggshell or less in terms of gloss. As for the ceiling, the usual approach is to pair the whole thing flat black. The down side is that radically alters the feel of the room, so if you ever need/want to use it for any purpose other than viewing you'll have to put up with the cave-like atmosphere a black ceiling creates.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-16-17, 12:10 PM
Shackster

I have been a silent reader in here for a while now and I'm lucky to have stumbled this thread, I have a similar situation and I am now convinced to go the same route. Btw, awesome job!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-18-17, 08:57 PM
Shackster

The light bouncing to the ceiling and the wall to the right could use some help, otherwise it looks great.